Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cheapest RAV4 EV Toyota Extended Warranty
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:42 am 

ferenc wrote:
On a side note, I've not been happy with the local service - try SF, or ...?
From what I've heard, Berkeley is one of the better service departments for our EV. Palo Alto is also very good. Luckily for me it's also my most convenient. I wouldn't drive to Berkeley for service, so I wouldn't expect you to come to Palo Alto either.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:40 pm 

so has anyone "upgraded" an extended warranty?

I have an 8 yr 75K mile one (which is what the dealer quoted me as the longest option when i bought my Rav4EV).

I'd like to get an 8 year 125K mile one, if i can do it for a reasonable price.

Has anyone done anything like that? (i have 58K on the car now after ~4 years so i'm still covered by the one i have)

Thanks
-jcp-

2013 Shoreline Blue Pearl Rav4 EV #1634
2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor, ER, EAP

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:21 pm 

n3ckf wrote:

I have an 8 yr 75K mile one (which is what the dealer quoted me as the longest option when i bought my Rav4EV).

Has anyone done anything like that? (i have 58K on the car now after ~4 years so i'm still covered by the one i have)

Thanks
-jcp-
That's an interesting question. I've not heard of anyone seriously looking into this before. If it is even possible, I would expect the best case would be to buy the new warranty at whatever price a dealer will sell it to you, then refund the existing one. The problem is that you've already used 58/75=77.3% of the miles on your existing warranty, so you will only get a 23.7% refund. Is that "reasonable" to you?

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:19 am 

Ray at Gilroy Toyota - direct phone 1(415)240-3005 - handled it for me - thanks to all who helped!
Ferenc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:52 pm 

miimura wrote:
n3ckf wrote:

Thanks
-jcp-
That's an interesting question. I've not heard of anyone seriously looking into this before. If it is even possible, I would expect the best case would be to buy the new warranty at whatever price a dealer will sell it to you, then refund the existing one. The problem is that you've already used 58/75=77.3% of the miles on your existing warranty, so you will only get a 23.7% refund. Is that "reasonable" to you?

So i checked into this. It MIGHT have been possible to "swap" to the longer warranty when my car had < 3yr/36K on it (ie. under the "factory" warranty still) but its not possible to do this after that. So i'm suck with what i have.

There is a 5yr/60K used car warranty from Toyota available (but i already have 8yr/75K so that doesnt help in my case).

So basically if you do what I did and buy the wrong warranty, you're kind of stuck with it. I still have about 16K on the warranty left so i'm probably fine but that just means that whenever a "big" problem happens after 75K, i'll probably end up junking the car.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:12 am 

Okay so a little more complex.

Turns out you can get the Toyota Platinum warranty on a used car.
Which is what the sales guy referenced earlier recommended i do.
That would add up to 5yr/60K miles to my car starting whenever i bought it.
I have some questions outstanding with him now.

I have about 60K on the car right now, so that would take me to about the same place buying the 125K/8yr would've at the beginning. (at higher cost than simply buying the right warranty would've before of course).

I might do it anyway, since ONE repair on this thign will blow that.

One thing though: for hybrids, the battery isnt covered under this plan (which probably means the battery isnt covered here either). However there is the required 8yr/100K mile battery coverage that every electric car is required to have in Calfiornia (which is a separate plan). And i'm not actually THAT worried about the battery itself failing, mainly a motor replacement if needed (although i've already had one done and it doesnt seem to be getting "worse" again).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:00 am 

Followed cashcow method with Troy in MA for warranty, hassle free except the notarized letter for post office.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:01 am 

I used Troy in MA as well. It was a real bargain.

(ex-2011 Volt #2365 - returned Nov. 2013)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:28 pm 

n3ckf wrote:
Turns out you can get the Toyota Platinum warranty on a used car.
Which is what the sales guy referenced earlier recommended i do.
That would add up to 5yr/60K miles to my car starting whenever i bought it.
I have some questions outstanding with him now.

I have about 60K on the car right now, so that would take me to about the same place buying the 125K/8yr would've at the beginning. (at higher cost than simply buying the right warranty would've before of course).

Interesting. So are you saying that we can buy a Toyota Platinum used car warranty on our own cars during or near the end of our existing Toyota Platinum extended warranty periods, and that will add 5 yr or 60,000 mi of coverage from the date of warranty purchase, regardless of car age or mileage? Do we need to have our cars inspected, or does current Toyota Platinum extended warranty coverage eliminate that?

That would be a cool way to add warranty coverage.

3.2 kW Solar PV system

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:41 pm 

https://www.toyotafinancial.com/pub/w/p ... agreements

Not available in every state in the USA!

Vehicle Eligibility
Vehicles are eligible for a "New Vehicle" VSA for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Coverage is effective from date of first use as a new vehicle and zero miles. Vehicle is considered new at date of first use even if vehicle has 799 miles or less on the date vehicle was first placed into service. Coverage expires at maximum time or mileage of the selected plan, whichever comes first.

Roadside Assistance
Coverage is effective throughout the life of the Agreement, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year within the continental US and Canada. Includes towing, flat tire, lockout, jump start and fuel delivery services (up to 3 gallons, excluding Fuel Cell and Electric vehicles). NOTE: Excludes Fuel Cell and Electric vehicles, which may be towed to the nearest authorized Toyota servicing dealer or authorized fueling station. Fuel delivery will not apply.

Substitute Transportation
Up to $50 per day for a maximum of 5 days per occurrence. Requires prior approval from TFS.

Benefits: Travel Protection Lodging and Meals
Up to $100 per day for lodging and meals if you're more than 150 miles from home. Call us at 1-800-228-8559 prior to incurring expenses to obtain approvals. Maximum of 5 days over the life of your agreement.

Deductible Options
$0 or $100 disappearing deductible per eligible repair visit.

Transferability
One-time, no-cost transferability from original owner is available. Between private parties only. Excludes dealers.

Cancellation
You can cancel your VSA within 30 days for a full refund, less a $50 processing fee. Pro-rata refund is applied after 30 days or if claim is paid. Please see your dealer for state-specific cancellation policies.
Coverage is subject to exclusions and limitations set forth in the Vehicle Service Agreement (VSA).

If you buy the "new car" Toyota Platinum warranty, if you turn the car in and if you ask for the refund, then you will be refunded a prorated from when the car was sold new.

That means you pay for a 6 year / 100,000 mile Toyota Platinum warranty at any time under the 3 year/36,000 mile new car warranty (by the way, DON'T waste your money on any other warranty), then when you turn it in at the end of a 3 year lease, you'll get about half your money back.

Note: VSAs (warranties) are optional, cancellable (see terms of Agreement) and not required to obtain credit. The benefits and covered operations stated here are subject to change or may vary slightly based upon the purchase date of the Agreement.

*Time and mileage coverage periods are measured from the date the vehicle was first delivered into service as a new vehicle and zero miles. Coverage expires upon reaching the maximum time or mileage of the coverage period selected, whichever occurs first. Ineligible vehicles include taxis, shuttle, commuter, municipal, professional, medical, emergency or police vehicles, salvage vehicles, all vehicles used or to be used for competitive driving or racing, vehicles used or to be used for plowing snow or towing a trailer in a manner exceeding manufacturer's recommendations, and all vehicles to be held by the purchaser or lessee for hire to the public or for hire to any persons not affiliated with the vehicle purchaser or lessee.

https://www.sc.toyotafinancial.com/web/ ... ochure.pdf

Eligibility:

New
New Toyota vehicle less than 3 years old and up to
36,000 total vehicle miles.

Used
Used Toyota vehicle within current plus 9 model
years old and up to 150,000 total vehicle miles.
See your dealer for eligibility requirements on nonToyota
vehicles. Used Vehicle plans are available
through your Toyota dealer only at the time of used
vehicle purchase or lease.

THESE ARE THE ITEMS NOT COVERED:
Accessory Drive Belts; Batteries; Body Panels; Brake Linings, Pads and
Shoes, Rotors and Drums; Bumpers; Carpet; Chrome; Clutch Friction
Disc and Pressure Plate; Dash Cover and Pad; Door Fabric; Door Trim;
Filters; Fluids; Fuel Cell Air Compressor; Fuel Cell Boost Converter;
Fuel Cell Electronic Control Unit; Fuel Cell Hydrogen Tanks; Fuel Cell
Power Control Unit; Fuel Cell Stack; Fuel Cell Vehicle Battery Pack;
Glass (including Windshields); Headliner; Heating Hoses, Lines and
Tubes; Hoses; Hybrid Vehicle Battery Pack; Hybrid Vehicle Battery
Plug Assembly; Hybrid Vehicle Relay Assembly; Hybrid Vehicle Supply
Battery Assembly; Hydrogen Fueling Electronic Control Unit; Interior
and Exterior Trim Moldings (including but not limited to: Ashtrays,
Covers, Cup Holders, and Vents); Lamps, Light Assemblies/Housings,
and Light Bulbs; Nuts, Bolts, Clips, Retainers, and Fasteners; Paint; Rust
and Corrosion Damage; Seat Covers; Sheet Metals; Shiny Metals; Spark
Plugs; Structural Framework and Welds; Tires; Vacuum Hoses, Lines and
Tubes; Weather Stripping; Wheels and Rims; Windshield Wiper Blades
(Rubber component); All interior and exterior cloth, leather, and stitching
including convertible tops and/or vinyl tops including but not limited
to: any vibration, deterioration, discoloration, disfigurement, warping,
fading, staining, stretching, ripping, punctures, tearing, and/or scratches

San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 28  Next