Bluetooth connection issue "solved"

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boarder

In case anyone else out there is having the problem where their phone would initially connect fine to the bluetooth on their Rav4 (or any Toyota or Lexus car for that matter from what I'm reading) but then continuously disconnect and reconnect every 20-30 seconds, I think I have solved the problem.

It appears that newer Android phones (an HTC One m8 in my case, but I've read identical reports from people with Samsung GS5) don't play well with the SMS/Text message feature of Toyota bluetooth components. This causes the system to kick out the phone when it tries to download texts, which it tries to do everytime it connects, causing a loop. After many, many full factory resets of my phone (even going so far as unlocking the bootloader, rooting and changing out ROMs on it), it would connect fine if I had no texts saved on the phone but would have problems as soon as I restored my texts from backup.

When connecting to my phone now, I just DON'T allow the Car Multimedia to have access to my call history, messages, emails, texts when that popup asks on my phone. I do allow calls and contact info to be read (this is a separate question dialog box on my phone). This means everything works fine with the phone and the car EXCEPT reading texts. I can live with that.

I want to thank you for sharing this. I had the exact same problem with my Motorola DROID Maxx (XT1080m) and Toyota
Entune/Bluetooth support was not any help at all. In fact one rep, Brenda, was downright "I'm being polite to you while
clearly finding a way to be rude by calling you by your name in every single sentence" obnoxious while refusing to find me
someone who understood either Bluetooth or Android. The only help they can give you is talk your through unpair/repair
because that is all they know.

My phone was literally disconnecting every 30 seconds. The problem is I had an old text message that will not mark itself
as "read" even though I've read it many times. I will probably have to delete it. It's also marked as having an attachment
it doesn't have. Fun, fun, fun.

For bonus fun, my Android phone downloads plenty of contacts, just not the ones I actually use. I think it's downloading
phone contacts and LinkedIn contacts but not Google contacts, e.g. the most important ones. That means I can't put
any of my important contacts into my speed dial or my address book. I think someone elsewhere said I could transfer
contacts via Bluetooth Share, one at a time, so I may try that someday.

Just wanted to say that I have the same problem on my Sprint LG G3 and my wife has the same on her Galaxy S4 and i also had this problem on my old Samung Note 2. (Both the Samsung phones were fine before the Android "Kit Kat" upgrade.) Also, I have seen on other forums that people with Prius's are having the same problem with Android Kit Kat. However, it is not just a problem with Android as it works fine with every other Bluetooth device I use including two other cars I tested it with.

I am certainly going to try your workaround but was wondering if anyone know if this is fixed in any firmware upgrades to the system?

Just an FYI for anyone who was experiencing this problem with their LG... Seems like the latest LG OS update FINALLY fixed the problem for me. Not sure about everyone else. Doesn't work 100%... I still cannot sync text messages very well but at least after a few months I am able to use my phone via Bluetooth again.

So I picked up a new phone. ZTE Zmax Pro. And it doesn't advance songs via switch on steering wheel. In fact I have no song info, volume control, or album picture like I did on my other devices paired with the RAV4. Prior phone are LG G3, Galaxy S6, and LG K7.

The K7 is a backup phone and runs the same Bluetooth v4.1 with ADP2 as the new phone. I didn't look the others up because One crashed and the other I returned because of lack of Wi-Fi calling (I live in remote area and need it).

The phone pairs and I can speak but all controls calling or music player all need to be done through the handset. Anyone else have this issue?

My software version for Navigation is VB503150 and Bluetooth 21.210. Sent a note to Entunes support to find out if either has an update I may need. According to Entunes compatibility all features are supposed to work.

Back