Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: RECALL: going into neutral / Speed Sensor failure
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:58 pm 

fromport wrote:
there is a little vacuum canister in the rav (the wirring sound when you open the door) that should provide at least a little breaking assist once, but not for long
The vacuum brake booster pump runs off the 12V battery, so it should continue to work for quite a while. Since you have no motive power, it shouldn't be a problem unless you're going down a long hill, in which case it would be much easier to negotiate traffic since you will continue to have momentum going down the hill. Remember, the conventional brakes have the full power of the ICE car and the ABS will continue to work off 12V too. Stopping is not the problem - getting to a safe place at the side of the road is the problem.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:35 pm 

miimura wrote:
fromport wrote:
there is a little vacuum canister in the rav (the wirring sound when you open the door) that should provide at least a little breaking assist once, but not for long
The vacuum brake booster pump runs off the 12V battery, so it should continue to work for quite a while.

Sounds logical!
Quote:
Since you have no motive power, it shouldn't be a problem unless you're going down a long hill, in which case it would be much easier to negotiate traffic since you will continue to have momentum going down the hill. Remember, the conventional brakes have the full power of the ICE car and the ABS will continue to work off 12V too. Stopping is not the problem - getting to a safe place at the side of the road is the problem.

Indeed.
And when it happens, don't forget to reset the car by doing 4 complete power cycles.
That should give you propulsion again, although some people have experienced that within 10 miles it happens again.
I was lucky that it happened once and since then have put more than a 1000 miles on the car without a problem.
What you absolutely should do is go to the dealer and have them perform a "health check" so they can log the errors.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:00 pm 

unHookt wrote:
I just had thus happen to mine - fortunately not on the freeway, because I had my wife and two children in the car. Needless to say, the abrupt loss of power is incredibly dangerous. my wife called Roseville Toyota, and they were very unhelpful, implying that we were SOL until the fix is released later this summer. This is a leased vehicle, and there's no way I'm paying for a car that will be inoperable for several months. If possible, I'm going to bring it into the dealer to see if I can get a loaner.

Update: In person, the dealer was very responsive and acknowledged the seriousness of the problem. They took the car in and provided a no-cost loaner (4Runner).

There were several error codes, even though the car fired up with no EV error messages on the day the I brought it in. For the next several days, their techs apparently played phone tag with Toyota corporate in search for a resolution.

Today (10 days from drop-off day), I received a call indicating that a new Tesla motor unit had arrived and would be installed by COB on Monday. Hopefully, this will resolve the issue once and for all.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:21 pm 

unHookt wrote:
Today (10 days from drop-off day), I received a call indicating that a new Tesla motor unit had arrived and would be installed by COB on Monday. Hopefully, this will resolve the issue once and for all.

It's unlikely this actually fixed the problem, which is two issues:

1) faulty speed sensor
2) software forces the main battery contactor open when it doesn't read the speed sensor

So, until the recall "campaign" is over, they are just placating us. I got a new motor, too, hopefully with a new speed sensor. But, it is highly doubtful that the sensor is some new and improved model.

More likely, it's from the same parts bin that the original faulty units were from.

San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:21 pm 

Picked up the vehicle yesterday morning and everything appeared to be well. Roseville Toyota did not charge the vehicle overnight (something Nissan always did when I brought the Leaf in for service), so I was unable to drive the car to work. Ugh.

I charged the car during the day and when I got home found that my range meter was indicating a 123 mile range with HVAC turned off. ??? I did not have extended charging enabled. Not sure how long that will last, but a curious side-effect for certain.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:55 pm 

unHookt wrote:
Picked up the vehicle yesterday morning and everything appeared to be well. Roseville Toyota did not charge the vehicle overnight (something Nissan always did when I brought the Leaf in for service), so I was unable to drive the car to work. Ugh.

I charged the car during the day and when I got home found that my range meter was indicating a 123 mile range with HVAC turned off. ??? I did not have extended charging enabled. Not sure how long that will last, but a curious side-effect for certain.

It will last until you drive the car.

viewtopic.php?p=20518#p20518

San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:20 am 

TonyWilliams wrote:
It's unlikely this actually fixed the problem

You called it. Two days ago, I started the car and it died on me as I was pulling out of the garage. Same symptoms, same "Check EV System" warning. It's going back to the dealer tomorrow. We'll see what happens now.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:02 pm 

I received a call from Toyota of Roseville. The rep indicates that the issue this time is a faulty motor generator ECU, which is being replaced. The part will be in sometime early next week. Thankfully, this is a warranty repair, as the part apparently costs approximately $4,000.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:08 pm 

Hi,

Is there any update on the recall? If I remember well I read somewhere on the forum that people where told by dealer that the fix should be availaible somewhere in july...

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:32 pm 
Site Moderator

ThePoorManTesla wrote:
Hi,

Is there any update on the recall? If I remember well I read somewhere on the forum that people where told by dealer that the fix should be availaible somewhere in july...

Thanks

I was at Carson Toyota last week and they said they haven't heard a thing about the recall from Toyota.

Take the Rav4 EV Owner Survey: http://goo.gl/8460go
View the Rav4 EV Owner Registry: http://goo.gl/QtrlKu

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next