Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: RECALL: going into neutral / Speed Sensor failure
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:21 pm 

The last day of summer is Sept. 20 so we should hear before then, right?

8/12/14 RAV4 EV #3008, Blizzard Pearl
9kW Solar Electric System
SDGE TOU metering
OpenEVSE 40 amp

"Aquaponics...solar-powered nanotechnology that produces fresh vegetables and meat, while purifying water..." - Rick Op, Houston Texas.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:15 am 
Site Moderator

Last Tuesday, just as my wife was about to back out of the driveway, our 2012 RAV4 EV got stuck in neutral (and presumably had a total loss of drive power). This was the SECOND incident of this nature! The first incident, which happened to me personally, occurred in our driveway as well, about a year ago, after which the Tesla Gateway ECU was replaced by our local Toyota Dealer.

This, imho, which has now seemingly been confirmed, did NOT fix the problem!

My wife said she tried several On/Off cycles to no avail. However, when I got home later the same day, the problem disappeared.

Sadly, I am still waiting for the actual safety recall letter from Toyota to take the car in for warranty repairs.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:02 pm 

Dsinned wrote:
... Sadly, I am still waiting for the actual safety recall letter from Toyota to take the car in for warranty repairs.
Since it's actively happening to you, I'd yell a little louder rather than just wait.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:12 pm 

The recall notice said "Summer" but neglected to specify in which hemisphere. :D

My Rav4EV (...003286, 2014) has been in the service dept at Palo Alto for two weeks for the recall issue. There is no ETA on the transaxle assembly part. To summarize: "could be weeks, could be months... the part'll get here from Tesla when it gets here *shrug*. Nothing we can do. Here have a rental car."

So live and learn. Don't buy a car built by two manufacturers who have a falling out, no matter how good or cool.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:17 pm 

mekenig wrote:
So live and learn. Don't buy a car built by two manufacturers who have a falling out, no matter how good or cool.

Imho the worst part is that the drivers of the rav4ev's are victim.
They don't honor warranty, keep pointing at each other and basically say to the driver "learn to live with it"
Not nice imho

I have 2 rav4ev's
my first Toyota's ever, and my last.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:23 pm 
Site Moderator

fromport wrote:
mekenig wrote:

Imho the worst part is that the drivers of the rav4ev's are victim.
They don't honor warranty, keep pointing at each other and basically say to the driver "learn to live with it"
Not nice imho

I have 2 rav4ev's
my first Toyota's ever, and my last.

All the issues are Tesla based. I have owned so many Toyotas and just change the oil. If anything it makes me very unimpressed with Tesla engineering.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:33 pm 

4EVEREV wrote:
All the issues are Tesla based. I have owned so many Toyotas and just change the oil. If anything it makes me very unimpressed with Tesla engineering.

Technically that may be the case, but I bought a toyota, from a toyota dealer, toyota manual with toyota warranty.
If they screwed up the contract with Tesla, don't take it out on the toyota drivers.
That is just lame.

And for once:
If Tesla did have dealers, we could go there pay them money because they know/can service the Tesla parts.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:52 pm 

When I bought my RavEV I talked with the parts guy at Sunnyvale Toyota. SVL was the dealership involved with Tesla sourcing parts for the Rav. According to him, Tesla and Toyota didn't always see eye-to-eye about engineering the vehicle. Should'a been a red flag, I guess.

Toyota sold and warranted it. End of story. If they ever can't or won't fix it, violation of Fed and CA law and it's a class action. But there are probably too few of us for it to be a legal sharkfest or on the radar of gov't. Rregulatory agencies are worth spit these days... the 625K recalled hybrids probably get far more attention from a career civil servant or a law firm.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:16 pm 

I can see it now... Toyota tries to settle the class action with 1/2 off a Mirai lease for the RAV owners and $2M for the plaintiff's lawyers... [facepalm]

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:11 am 

mekenig wrote:
When I bought my RavEV I talked with the parts guy at Sunnyvale Toyota. SVL was the dealership involved with Tesla sourcing parts for the Rav. According to him, Tesla and Toyota didn't always see eye-to-eye about engineering the vehicle. Should'a been a red flag, I guess.

Toyota sold and warranted it. End of story. If they ever can't or won't fix it, violation of Fed and CA law and it's a class action. But there are probably too few of us for it to be a legal sharkfest or on the radar of gov't. Rregulatory agencies are worth spit these days... the 625K recalled hybrids probably get far more attention from a career civil servant or a law firm.

I have an appointment for Wednesday next week.
If they keep their vision like it is today "it is safe to drive", I will call the lemon law layer on the way back.

And how simple can it be: Even though I have 2 of them to compare.
I know how the car behaved/sounded the first xxxx miles.

one week after my drive train exchange another sound with vibration shows up.
And they want me to continue driving until it gets "to bad" without specifying the threshold.
I drove my leaf for 3 years 30k miles and it still made the same sounds, no vibrations when I turned it in just like the day I drove it off the dealer lot. An acquaintance of mine has a leaf that has over 100K on the clock. Apart from the battery degradation (about 50 miles range currently) no problems. Still on second set of tires !
I don't remember signing something with Toyota that "weird sounds/vibrations" might pop while drivingm and some do and some don't
And only because their legal department screwed up the contract with Tesla ?

Toyota should be ashamed, and I will enjoy if they aren't reasonable next week I will turn mine in.
And they better hope my second one stays silent, or I will go through the whole loop again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next