Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: RECALL: going into neutral / Speed Sensor failure
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:11 am 

fromport wrote:
I just brought my 2 rav4ev's in for the software update.
They couldn't do it immediately because they need to charge my 12 volt (aux) battery first to full.
Even though I drive it enough (imo) to keep it charged, it wasn't enough to do software update.

So if you are planning to take it in, and you happen to have a 12 volt battery charger handy, charge it to full before you take it in, could save you some time.
If you read the TSBs, there is a procedure to connect it to a certain kind of charger (Toyota part number called out) that will support the 12V while flashing the car. Whoever is working on your car is either not properly trained or not properly equipped.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:22 am 

tgreene wrote:
fromport wrote:
They couldn't do it immediately because they need to charge my 12 volt (aux) battery first to full.
Even though I drive it enough (imo) to keep it charged, it wasn't enough to do software update.

Hmmm... maybe your 12V battery is on its last legs or else there is a problem with its charging system.

Wow , you are spot on.
They replaced the 12V battery under warranty!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:26 am 

So for someone who drives 30,000 miles per year, I should be expecting more issues soon? After two traction motor replacements? I think one of the visits I saw they replaced a battery I have to see what they did again.. 4 visits to dealership in past month including two tow jobs. I have no confidence this car makes it through the 3 year lease with the amount of driving I do.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:14 am 

ghever wrote:
So for someone who drives 30,000 miles per year, I should be expecting more issues soon? After two traction motor replacements? I think one of the visits I saw they replaced a battery I have to see what they did again.. 4 visits to dealership in past month including two tow jobs. I have no confidence this car makes it through the 3 year lease with the amount of driving I do.

You have to admit though,
if it works like intended, it's great to drive.
But man , I leased 2 with the intention of keeping them both afterwards.
Even with extended warranty, I don't want to "fight" every time to get something done from Toyota.
I am really thinking about returning them after the lease is up, and one probably earlier than that with lemon law procedure.

You will be one of the person with the most miles on it after 3 years.
If I were you, 2 more tow jobs in the next 6 months, I would reconsider returning the car with lemon law.
Toyota is considered one of the most reliable brands, this toyota-tesla merger certainly isn't.

I have a hate-love relation ship with this product.
Bang for the buck (especially with the Jesla add-on) you can't find a better EV in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:46 am 

fromport wrote:
ghever wrote:

You have to admit though,
if it works like intended, it's great to drive.
But man , I leased 2 with the intention of keeping them both afterwards.
Even with extended warranty, I don't want to "fight" every time to get something done from Toyota.
I am really thinking about returning them after the lease is up, and one probably earlier than that with lemon law procedure.

You will be one of the person with the most miles on it after 3 years.
If I were you, 2 more tow jobs in the next 6 months, I would reconsider returning the car with lemon law.
Toyota is considered one of the most reliable brands, this toyota-tesla merger certainly isn't.

I have a hate-love relation ship with this product.
Bang for the buck (especially with the Jesla add-on) you can't find a better EV in my opinion.

The concept is great and when the product works, I cannot ask for anything better. But I also cannot afford an unreliable car with the kind of driving I do and the job I do. I am not going to wait for two more tow jobs, next tow job is it. I'll still get a Toyota only a Prius... Looks like electric car is still not a finished product. We shall see, maybe I'll get lucky..

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:07 am 

ghever wrote:
The concept is great and when the product works, I cannot ask for anything better. But I also cannot afford an unreliable car with the kind of driving I do and the job I do. I am not going to wait for two more tow jobs, next tow job is it. I'll still get a Toyota only a Prius... Looks like electric car is still not a finished product. We shall see, maybe I'll get lucky..

_this_ particular EV is not a finished product.
Just quickly put together by Toyota to avoid paying extra taxes on the rest of their ICE models.
I doubt you will have these kind of events with a tesla.
In the beginning they had problems with the 12V battery also, like I had today (25k miles).
But the owner actually would get an email stating someone would drop by to replace the 12V battery.
I think with 30k miles per year, even though it looks expensive, I think you would be cheaper off with a tesla than with a prius!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:36 am 

A used model S or new model 3? Definitely not with a brand new tesla costing $70000.

I have done the calculations. At current gas prices I am looking at around $115 per month in gas. I can probably buy a used Prius for around 10-12K...drive for three years and sell for around $5000...I don't think a tesla will come in less than that... If be destroying a tesla to the point I'm not sure depreciation wise it makes sense.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:54 pm 
Site Moderator

The majority of the issues with the RAV are Tesla made components with few exceptions. Toyota does not make the charger, gateway, inverter, motor, etc. These are Tesla design failures. EV drive systems are supposed to be ultra reliable yet Tesla seems to have the record in the industry for the highest failure rate in history on volume EV drive systems.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:29 pm 

So the tesla cars have this many issues as well? Even if so, it seems like they repair the issues faster. Do Leaf's have all these issues? Any of the other evs? Just seems like the hybrids like Prius are better tested and more reliable at this point. Maybe in 5-10 years the EV will reach this same level of reliability but this experience has soured me on getting another ev.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:16 pm 

The LEAF is very reliable. Well,except for the most expensive part, the battery, which will degrade faster than any other EV.

San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next