Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Charging Malfunction - Turtle w 1/3 charge remaining?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:03 pm 

Dsinned wrote:
Hmmm . . . if all you got was 57 miles on your GoM after a STANDARD charge to 80% of full capacity (i.e. 35kWh), your "learned" driving efficiency must be only 1.63mi/kWh, (57mi / 35kWh = 1.63mi/kWh). Yet, you say your "indicated" average is 2.3mi/kWh??? Yes, I think you should try resetting your driving efficiency display(s), because it sure seems like something is out of whack with your car's instrumentation and throwing off the accuracy of your gauges!

Perhaps, driving in such frigid weather conditions in CA, even at sea level where it tends not to be below freezing in the Winter, (not in "Reeler's" case, who lives near Denver, so he must be seeing subzero weather this time of year), will cause battery efficiency to drop significantly. However, I would of thought this would have been mentioned more prominently in the Owners Manual. I do not know if the EPA rating takes in to account low temperature conditions, but with an electric range rating of "103", this now seems rather high for all weather driving conditions especially in the Winter.

The 1.63 is predicted for a given battery temperature and HVAC setting for an instantaneous prediction based upon current conditions. The 2.3 is overall since I received the car.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:09 pm 
Site Moderator

If so, then the question becomes does the fully charged reading on the GoM set by an instantaneous set of driving conditions, or an average of mi/kWh determined over the long term? All we know is that when the car has a battery disconnect (computer reset), regardless of present driving conditions, it tends to default the GoM reading to a rather high level.

My experience with my car (albeit, not yet having exposed it to nearly as extreme cold weather conditions), leads me to believe the GoM tends to correlate with the charted mi/kWh as a running average and it seems the best source of data for the latter. This is the data recorded in the EnTunes Eco Dashboard app. This is what I am referring to as the RAV4 EV's "learned" driving efficiency; it gets updated after every drive, whether short or long, regardless of driving conditions.

Reeler, can you tell us what your ECO Dashboard reading says?

A reading as low as 1.63mi/kWh is certainly possible and you may see an occasional reading this low from your "last drive" recorded on the dashboard, but your averaged driving efficiency reading tends to be normalized over a longer period of time, and (I think) correlates reasonably well with the GoM after a fresh charge.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:37 pm 

Dsinned wrote:
Reeler, can you tell us what your ECO Dashboard reading says?

A reading as low as 1.63mi/kWh is certainly possible and you may see an occasional reading this low from your "last drive" recorded on the dashboard, but your averaged driving efficiency reading tends to be normalized over a longer period of time, and (I think) correlates reasonably well with the GoM after a fresh charge.

Summary\EV Efficiency on ECO Dashboard is 2.3. I rarely drive with the heater on beyond Eco High if at all to achieve that. Most of the time that I drive it is not extremely cold.

On an extremely cold day with the TMS and heater on higher than normal, I think your GOM will average down from the 2.3 (in my case). I am certain that there is an adjustment on the GOM for the current temperature and HVAC and TMS usage.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:12 pm 
Site Moderator

With a Summary EV Efficiency of "2.3", which can be taken as the "learned" driving efficiency by your car, I would expect you to get closer to 80 miles from a standard (80%) charge. But, you are only getting 57 miles. That still seems like you have some sort of mismatch. Have you tried resetting your driving efficiency gauge yet? 2.3 just seems too high based on your relatively low GoM reading after a full charge, "if" your battery efficiency is significantly influenced by driving with your TMS running during very cold weather conditions. Anyways, after we get back into the warmer months of the year, this apparent mismatch may correct itself.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:33 am 

Dsinned wrote:
With a Summary EV Efficiency of "2.3", which can be taken as the "learned" driving efficiency by your car, I would expect you to get closer to 80 miles from a standard (80%) charge. But, you are only getting 57 miles. That still seems like you have some sort of mismatch. Have you tried resetting your driving efficiency gauge yet? 2.3 just seems too high based on your relatively low GoM reading after a full charge, "if" your battery efficiency is significantly influenced by driving with your TMS running during very cold weather conditions. Anyways, after we get back into the warmer months of the year, this apparent mismatch may correct itself.

I don't typically drive with the heat on and this cold snap is unusual. Most of December was in the sixty's. I will snap a photo next time.