Sell now or at end of lease

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruin nut

My lease is up in August. I have another car to drive and am toying with selling the Rav early mainly because I've seen the price dropping in the last few months and fear that when the larger quantity of them come up for lease expiration in the summer the prices will get depressed even further. Any truth to this?

I went back and read Dianne's lease deal threads. It looks like first good lease deals on the RAV4 EV started right around July 2013, so yes, that is when you should expect the first onslaught of RAV4 EV's entering the used market, which should most likely drive the values down. I've been holding off on doing a used purchase until later this summer.

The only way the price doesn't come down is if everyone buys out their lease and keeps their cars (keeping supply low) OR if everyone buys out their lease and puts them up for sale at higher prices. Will be interesting to see, and if anyone is thinking of purchasing a used one now for more than $25k, they really should think about waiting. My prediction is that with so many great EV options coming up by the end of this year combined the fact that the lease returns will be starting this summer/fall, that the demand for the RAV4 EV will start to drop off and we'll start seeing used values near the $19k residual.

TonyWilliams said:
I will glad offer $1000 over the residual.

How would that work? How can he transfer the sale, I thought it has to be sold to him first in which case he pays the taxes, etc.

Hey Mods or Admins, how did my post get edited to say "I doubt a dealer will sell at or near the residual and no one will buy the car and pay the sales tax in say CA and then sell it at a loss." I never put that wording in my post, however I can clearly see someone edited my post to say that. Very strange.

red_stripe05 said:
Hey Mods or Admins, how did my post get edited to say "I doubt a dealer will sell at or near the residual and no one will buy the car and pay the sales tax in say CA and then sell it at a loss." I never put that wording in my post, however I can clearly see someone edited my post to say that. Very strange.
It wasn't me, but my guess is that another mod hit the "edit" button instead of the "quote" button - which for moderators are right next to eachother. Easy to hit, especially if you're writing on a tablet.

4EVEREV said:
TonyWilliams said:

How would that work? How can he transfer the sale, I thought it has to be sold to him first in which case he pays the taxes, etc.

1) call, write, or look online to get lease pay-off
2) call your friend Tony with amount
3) if deal is made, pay off car with proceeds of sale to Tony
4) put $1000 in your pocket
5) smile

TonyWilliams said:
4EVEREV said:
TonyWilliams said:

1) call, write, or look online to get lease pay-off
2) call your friend Tony with amount
3) if deal is made, pay off car with proceeds of sale to Tony
4) put $1000 in your pocket
5) smile

That does not put the title in your name and I was not aware a dealer will let you transfer title to another owner without first going to my name, is this not correct?

red_stripe05 said:

Fixed it, quote and edit buttons are sometimes mixed up- Sorry.

4EVEREV said:
That does not put the title in your name and I was not aware a dealer will let you transfer title to another owner without first going to my name, is this not correct?

Yes, it would transfer to YOU, and the. You would sign it over to whoever you sold it to.

You don't use a dealer for this... this would be done through Toyota Financial.

I went to CarMax today to get my RAV appraised. It's a silver 2013, with 28000 miles. The inside and out are in perfect shape, without a blemish. Car was clean. The appraisal was $21,500. FYI, that's $1400 less than my payoff. Pretty disappointing; it looks like our RAVs have taken quite a hit in the last few months. I figured there had been some softening of the market but didn't think it had gotten this low. Now I'll likely just keep it until lease expiration, and then turn it in.

There are a number of RAV 4EVs on Craigslist (SFBay). It seems like you could buy a clean one in the low 20's.

There are four RAV4 EVs on CarMax:

No-haggle price
$27,998*
Current Location
San Diego, CA
Free Transfer
to LAX

No-haggle price
$27,998*
Current Location
San Diego, CA
Non-Transferable

No-haggle price
$30,998*
Current Location
Las Vegas, NV
Free Transfer
to LAX

No-haggle price
$30,998*
Current Location
Las Vegas, NV
Free Transfer
to LAX

Cars dot Com shows 22 RAV4 EVs for sale. Some of the may be duplicates of the CarMax or Craigslist ones listed above. The prices range from $23,650 to $32,000 and mileage ranges from 10,000 to 41,000 miles. They are all in CA except one each in OR, CO, TX.

TonyWilliams said:

I bet we can benefit from those planning to trade in for new potential owners looking.

Think we should have a thread for hooking up potential owners and current owners?

Both would benefit financially.

I am in the market for Rav4 in the very near future. Actually as soon as I can find one at a good price. But with the potential price drops in the coming months I can wait a bit so I don't overpay.

A thread with potential owners would be great!

Todd

bruin nut said:
I went to CarMax today to get my RAV appraised. It's a silver 2013, with 28000 miles. The inside and out are in perfect shape, without a blemish. Car was clean. The appraisal was $21,500. FYI, that's $1400 less than my payoff. Pretty disappointing; it looks like our RAVs have taken quite a hit in the last few months. I figured there had been some softening of the market but didn't think it had gotten this low. Now I'll likely just keep it until lease expiration, and then turn it in.

I had a 2012 Genesis 4 door that I brought to CarMax for the same reason. It was in pristine condition and I don't remember the exact amount but their offer was around 1,500 below my lease-end residual purchase price which was pretty low already. They try to be as risk-averse as possible but their used car offers are ridiculous. You might fair better selling to a dealer or using the car as a trade-in. I know my Rav4 will probably have low residual value in the next 2 years but my hope is to trade it in for a Tesla Model 3. For now, I'm logging up to 1,300 miles/month on it and enjoying it as much as possible.

Just a heads up, it will be hard for you to profit as an individual as you have to pay sales tax on the payoff.

If you do get rid of it before 30 months of ownership, you have to pay back the CVRP. Anyone who leased in July/August is probably safe

cossie1600 said:
Just a heads up, it will be hard for you to profit as an individual as you have to pay sales tax on the payoff.

If you do get rid of it before 30 months of ownership, you have to pay back the CVRP. Anyone who leased in July/August is probably safe
The CVRP pay back is prorated. So if you kept it 28/30 months, you only have to pay back 2/30ths of the money.

toddh said:
I am in the market for Rav4 in the very near future. Actually as soon as I can find one at a good price. But with the potential price drops in the coming months I can wait a bit so I don't overpay.

A thread with potential owners would be great!

Todd

Yes!

Back