Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: EXCESS 12v LOAD WHEN OFF - DRAINING 12 VOLT BATTERY
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:55 am 

Today my RAV would not charge as it normally does. Seems to turn on but thinks the battery is too low to go anywhere. Had about 23 miles when I parked it. Was plugged in maybe 30 minutes later as another employee finished and swapped the cord to mine. Car did refuse to turn off while I tried several times to cycle it on-off to get charging to start. Would tun off after sitting for a bit.

Periodically when I open the door lately the GOM says LO and once I start all becomes normal with the miles displayed. Must have been my warning.

Tech is supposed to look at it in the morning. Any guesses?

Post subject: Re: RAV4-EV number 2501 heads for the shop
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:21 am 

Bad 12v battery? It's a common failure and can cause seemingly non-sensical behavior.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:48 am 

davewill wrote:
Bad 12v battery? It's a common failure and can cause seemingly non-sensical behavior.

Yep... the full battery / LO indication on the GOM is your clue.

Get a new 12 volt battery.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:58 am 

I had ONE occurrence of seeing LO when I got into the car and it immediately switched to normal. This was about a month ago. It has not happened again.

Are you saying this is a sign of a 12V battery problem??

Why would the 12V battery last only 2.5 years in an EV vs. what seems like ages in an ICE vehicle?

(ex-2011 Volt #2365 - returned Nov. 2013)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:47 pm 

eplantz wrote:
I had ONE occurrence of seeing LO when I got into the car and it immediately switched to normal. This was about a month ago. It has not happened again.

Interesting... I just had my first occurrence of seeing LO momentarily while getting into the car before it reverted to showing the expected three quarters charge.

Post subject: Re: RAV4-EV number 2501 - 12 volt battery failure
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:39 pm 

viewtopic.php?p=22290#p22290

Quote:
I did have a complete breakdown ONCE about a year ago, but it was something going haywire with the DC/DC charger for the regular 12V battery. I had to have it towed to the dealer under warranty because it was totally undriveable after that one happened. They replaced the 12V battery and the problem went away. My conclusion? The 12V batteries in these cars - even new - will not last much more than about 2 years before they will croak, i.e. premature EOL failure, and I believe some of the Model S Tesla 12V batteries will do exactly the same, so Tesla recommends their replacement every 18 months to prevent bricking those cars. I believe RAV4EVs inherited the same issue.

12 volt battery thread:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1738

What to reset with 12 volt power loss / battery replacement:

viewtopic.php?p=20859#p20859

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:55 am 

eplantz wrote:
Why would the 12V battery last only 2.5 years in an EV vs. what seems like ages in an ICE vehicle?

Because it is a common start battery not a deep cycle. RAV4-EV tends to deep cycle the battery too much due to drawing down when the car is off.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:02 am 

Of course my #2501 starts working when the tech takes a look at it. I suggested the 12v should be tested but that went no where.

And they noticed the gear noise.... Maybe something will come of this anyway.

I plan to get that G35 yellow top Optima once the car is out of the shop.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:13 pm 

#2501 is back from the dealer. Dealer found nothing wrong. Charged last night just fine on the timer.

12v battery seems to hold 12.9 volts fairly steady so I will hold off on replacement for now. Will be monitoring this closely.

Dealer told me a new drive unit will be ordered. Could take 4 days to 4 months to get delivered.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:40 pm 

On Tuesday after an opportunity charge at work using a AeroVironment Turbo Cord at 240VAC, I received the LO reading on the mileage when I turned it on. Wouldn't go to Ready, so turned it off and on again. This time LO switched back to normal mileage remaining and turned on the car as normal. Next month will be 3 years of ownership, so I planned to replace the tired 12V lead acid this weekend.

Of course, on Friday my wife and I swapped cars so that I could have her windshield crack fixed. While picking up my daughter from her elementary school, my wife hit the power button, but it did not provide the Ready light. Then of course, it would not turn off, even after lots of cycling. Needless to say, my wife was not happy about this. 12.2V was on the cigarette lighter meter and it continued to drop, finally down to 10.9V. She called a friend to come give her a jump start. I told them to not even bother turning on the other car, just provide the voltage to the battery to trigger the main contactor so the DC-DC could do the rest. After connecting the other vehicle's battery, the voltage rose to 13V. However the car will still not turn off or on. I told her that she needed to disconnect the 12V negative terminal to reset the car's computer. Luckily, the JdeMO's installation added a butterfly nut on the negative terminal which allowed this to happen without the need of a 10mm wrench (even though I carry one in the armrest). After removing the 12V neg cable, reconnecting it, and having jumper cables attached to the other car, the system rebooted and powered up fine, with the Ready light on.

Last night I installed a new 12V battery and all is good.

Reciever Hitch, CURT Class III Round Tube
Cargo Liner
Modified 120VAC EVSE to also accept 240VAC
Hood struts- Sokie Tech
JdeMO Level 3 Charging port
12.6kW PV system
VIN 1396
Austin, Texas

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next