Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: RAV4-EV number 2501 heads for the shop
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:09 am 

Unfortunately it will end up at Costa Mesa or Irvine depending on when it fails next.
I am loath to pay for towing just so Toyota can replace or charge the 12v battery and declare it is fixed.

The 2 amp load continues as before to drain the 12v battery. Has dropped from 12.78 as I pulled in down to 12.22 so far this evening.
I am surprised the car even started at the dealer today for pick-up or maybe the lot boy jumped it.

If it has to go twice a week to the dealer so be it. Will just keep driving the old F150 until this is resolved.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:59 pm 

smkettner wrote:
The 2 amp load continues as before to drain the 12v battery. Has dropped from 12.78 as I pulled in down to 12.22 so far this evening.

OK, let's use some simple troubleshooting.

I'm going to guess right off the bat that's a load within the DC to DC.

You're gonna have to isolate where the load is coming from.

There is not a single electric powered thing you can't either pull the fuse or otherwise disconnect until you isolate the thing that is pulling the load.

1) put the 12v battery on a real battery charger with a 2 amp minimum charge (most trickle chargers are 1 amp or less)

2) put your ammeter on the battery

3) you've got a whole bunch of fuses under the hood; pull the fuses one by one. Obviously, I would start with the things that are powered all the time.

4) One thing that I can tell you for certain that is powered all the time on that car is the traction battery management system (BMS). It is probably easiest to crawl under the car remove the mid plastic under body panel and then find the large Molex connector that plugs into the battery pack. Unplug that one first. If the load remains then plug it back in and move onto the next step.

5) if you pull of the large plastic cover that says "TOYOTA" off the motor area (it has 5 screws that require a 10mm socket and extension), you will be able to see where the cable goes from the 12 old battery to the DC to DC. That is also one I would disconnect.

6) The gateway computer (the interface between the Tesla drivetrain and the Toyota car, plus an AT&T mobile phone) is a well known trouble spot. It is in the left rear corner of the vehicle; find the power to that and unplug it.

You can actually get the entire vehicle electrical wiring harness for either $50 or $100 through the Toyota repair website. I don't have it handy, but I know somebody else will. You can follow where every little bit of electricity is designed to go. Find the loads and illuminate them one by one in a logical manner until you isolate where this 2 amps is going.

1) confirm the vehicles under warranty

2) if you want to drive it down here to San Diego for an hour three, I will take a look at it as a personal challenge

San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:25 am 

Yes I think I posted earlier that it was some combination of fuse 9 & 10.
That is the navigation and telemetrics afaik.

Remove these fuses and the draw stops cold. Re-insert and it stays off until the car is started and the navigation reboots.
I told Carson as much but I am just another crazy customer to them.....

To verify sleep mode I leave the hood up overnight and test in the morning without opening any doors etc.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:44 am 

smkettner wrote:
Yes I think I posted earlier that it was some combination of fuse 9 & 10.
That is the navigation and telemetrics afaik.

Remove these fuses and the draw stops cold. Re-insert and it stays off until the car is started and the navigation reboots.
I told Carson as much but I am just another crazy customer to them.....

To verify sleep mode I leave the hood up overnight and test in the morning without opening any doors etc.

If it is "telematics", that means gateway to me.

Try and isolate it further.

San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:15 am 

Another owner took their car in for a similar problem and the dealership found the excessive electrical draw. It was fixed by replacing the whole Navigation in-dash unit under warranty. I looked for the post where I read this, but couldn't find it.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:52 pm 

They just put a new battery in, correct? I would let the car sit for 24hrs or whatever it takes for the battery to go flat, then have it towed in (or maybe park it at the dealership and let it go flat there). Don't charge or jump it before they get to see the flat battery. If they replace the battery again, it'll be under warranty. Keep doing it until they really fix it. They'll get tired of seeing your car at some point.

Post subject: Re: RAV4-EV number 2501 - EXCESS 12v LOAD WHEN OFF
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:42 am 

That is the plan. Just not geared up as my extra vehicle is loaned out this week.
No loaners around with all the Toyota recalls. 3,000 miles left on the warranty.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:51 am 

On the truck this morning to Irvine Toyota. Service guy says he is going to open a ticket with Toyota.
I assume that means a better trained technician will pop in to look at it.

Fingers crossed. This episode will probably push me into an extended warranty.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:19 am 

If you're planning to keep the car, or even drive way over the 36k miles within the lease period, get the warranty. The one guy drove past the 60k powertrain warranty in the first 2.5 years of his lease and the car was un-driveable. What do you do when your leased car needs a $13,000 repair out of warranty? I don't know, but luckily Toyota stepped up and fixed his car.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:28 am 

Was in the shop all last week with no resolution.
Claimed to have replaced the 12v battery again and an unidentified circuit board.
Really expecting some progress this next week.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next