Who is currently waiting for a drive unit replacement?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B-Bob

I'm curious how many owners out there have a drive unit replacement on order and how long have you been waiting?

I brought my EV in to Toyota Carlsbad on October 30th, November 2nd the drive unit was ordered from Tesla. At the time I was quoted "about 2 weeks" by the service advisor, which I knew was not true based on the 63 days I waited a year earlier for the first replacement. Still waiting with no ETA in sight. Has anyone been waiting longer?

I was told three months by Toyota Carlsbad, February 2nd 2016, I guess that wasn't real. I would call Kevin Spillane 310-747-7545, five months is too long.

Kevin called me in October to let me know that my replacement DU was on order. He said at that time, the wait could be as much as 3 months or as little as a few weeks.

He also mentioned that he would have no visibility into the status of the order, as it was an order placed in the Tesla systems. Basically, it gets here when it gets here.

But it seems like 5-plus months might indicate something is not right...good thing mine is still operable.

I opened a case with Kevin after about 30 days had passed.

To clarify, the vehicle is operable and I am driving it. Although the noise is almost unbearable. It's embarrassing.

I am waiting for one too, but it's only been about 10 days or so...guess I won't be getting it any time soon...
I plan on driving it tomorrow into the Palo Alto Tesla store to put down a deposit for the "3"...wonder if i should find some "Tesla Inside" sticker to put it all over my car : )

Wow, that's disappointing!

My neighbor purchased a (used) RAV at the end of last year that had this issue. Brought it in to Frank Toyota at the beginning of this year and had been waiting for a replacement for 3 months. Toyota just bought it back under the used car lemon law.

My DU was installed today, if you are waiting for one from Toyota Carlsbad, give them a call, they are in. B-Bob, I was told that one from November had can in with mine.

There is a blue rav4ev in Camarillo that definitely needs one.
I could hear him drive up with all my windows closed

I got the call last Wednesday the 27th that the DU had come in. Dropped it off same day and had it back Friday afternoon. What a difference it makes!
183 days, just glad it's over.

Palo Alto dealer called on Monday to tell me the DU was in; just 2 days shy of 6 months from when I first took it in. There are also a few people on FB that have gotten their units this week; maybe Tesla finally got a whole batch made/rebuilt. Maybe they even "fixed" the problem this time???

Good to hear, guess my 2nd DU replacement can't be far now? they told me I was 10th in line about a month ago :|

Received an email that my DU has arrived! This, only six months after it was ordered! Tesla must have done a batch all at once, since it seems others have received theirs too.

However, I've been a week now, waiting for word on when the tech will be in town to do the install.

I also received a call in early May, after about 6 months of waiting. Must be part of the large batch. The new drive unit is sooooooo much quieter. It's no longer embarrassing to drive in a quiet neighborhood or a parking lot.

Bringing my car in on Thursday for it's 2nd DU replacement, it's whistling like crazy when driving around town can't wait!

Airton said:
Bringing my car in on Thursday for it's 2nd DU replacement, it's whistling like crazy when driving around town can't wait!
How many miles on the clock now ?

When I had mine replaced I asked Kevin Spillane if the rebuilt DU's have been upgraded with better parts or can I expect to replace mine again in another 25,000 miles. He said they were definitely upgraded, obviously they aren't!

Back