Lead Acid recharged while plugged into J1772 + Car turned on

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cashcow

Hi Guys,

I just got myself a rav4 ev. I'm plugged in to a J1772 plug and with the car turned 'on' (Thought it says ready on not available due to charging cable connection) and I am charging my laptop via the 12v cig outlet. My question is... does the lead acid get re-charged while I deplete it with my laptop and I am plugged into the J1772 + vehicle is on? I can turn on the fan too and listen to music. Just want to make sure its now all running of the tiny lead acid :(

Hi Tony,

I see the little red battery light on the bottom right corner. I guess this means the lead acid does not get charged while plugged into the J1772? That is a bummer because with my leaf I can be plugged into the J1772 and listen to the radio and what not and the little red icon of the battery is not on there.

Does the Lead Acid Battery get charged while plugged into the J1772 and the vehicle is off?

I wish there was a way to change it so the DC to DC converter charges the lead acid while plugged into the J1772 :(

Wow Tony you were able to keep the DC to DC converter engaged while using the Jdemo Charger? Or is the JdeMO hardware sending some energy to the lead acid? My hat is off to you. Those are some wizardly skills you have!

I actually camped out in my rav4 ev last night unplugged obviously :mad: and in ready mode to run the fan (No A/C the weather was nice).

I arrived at my location and turned off the car (To reset the KWH meter thing) then turned it on again and went to the back to sleep with the Fan On and Ready On. I woke up the next day and drove down 2 blocks to a restaurant across the street and the energy meter said that I used 0.2kwh over the course of 7 hours and 32 Minutes! That is about 200 to 300 watts of energy consumed isn't?

Do you know if the energy reported takes into consideration the energy spent while I sleep in ready mode + Fan on? I did drive two blocks down, so that probably added to it ... if it was tracking the energy from ready on + Fan on too of course.

Is this number accurate or is this just another Guess O Meter? About how many watts does the RAV4 EV consume while in Ready On with nothing else turned on? I thin the Nissan leaf confused around 300 something watts when I checked in forums....

-edit-

I haven't read the manual but it looks like the rav4 ev even has an aux battery energy meter of some sort. Wow!

-edit-

Actually I just re-read the meter and it says average efficiency Mi/Kwh so I guess that is not the total amount of energy consumed. Is there anyway to check just how much power the RAV4 ev consumes per use?

cashcow said:
Hi Tony,

I see the little red battery light on the bottom right corner. I guess this means the lead acid does not get charged while plugged into the J1772? That is a bummer because with my leaf I can be plugged into the J1772 and listen to the radio and what not and the little red icon of the battery is not on there.

Does the Lead Acid Battery get charged while plugged into the J1772 and the vehicle is off?

I wish there was a way to change it so the DC to DC converter charges the lead acid while plugged into the J1772 :(
The 12V is charged while the car is actively charging the traction battery from J1772. However, I'm not sure if the car will allow you to turn on the accessory loads while charging. It never occurred to me to try it. The one thing I have tried while charging is Remote Climate. It will run the A/C for 15 minutes at a time from your smartphone.

The JdeMO is designed to work while the car is on and READY so the battery thermal management system is fully active. It will abort the charging if you touch the foot brake or parking brake and the car is immobilized while the DC charge cable is connected.

Hi There Miimura :)

Okay, so I guess while the RAV4 EV is OFF and plugged into the J1772... AND the J1772 is actively charging the RAV4 EV then the RAV4 EV will actively charge the lead acid battery when it detects it is low?... or does it come on at intervals?

In my leaf I would always pull up to CHAdeMO or J1772 plug in and start charging then turn on the car fully and run the A/C Charge my laptop and the radio. So I am used to doing that but I was not sure if the RAV4 EV does the same. With the leaf you can also tell when the car isn't charging the lead acid if you see a red battery icon on... which I also saw on the RAV4 EV :(.

Another question is I see the AUX power Meter here and it goes as high as 4kw.... How in the world do you use up to 4kw ? You probably can't from the 12v socket right?

cashcow said:
Another question is I see the AUX power Meter here and it goes as high as 4kw.... How in the world do you use up to 4kw ? You probably can't from the 12v socket right?

Hit the economy button till it shows "normal"
Set the temperature control to max heat and watch the "AUX" meter go mad ;-)

cashcow said:
Hi There Miimura :)

Okay, so I guess while the RAV4 EV is OFF and plugged into the J1772... AND the J1772 is actively charging the RAV4 EV then the RAV4 EV will actively charge the lead acid battery when it detects it is low?... or does it come on at intervals?
My understanding is that whenever the high voltage battery is connected to the car (ie. contactors closed), the DC/DC converter is on and therefore charging the 12V battery.

Hi Miimura

SO I guess while charging the contactors are not closed and when not closed you get a red little battery signal on the dash?

miimura said:
cashcow said:
Hi Tony,

The 12V is charged while the car is actively charging the traction battery from J1772. However, I'm not sure if the car will allow you to turn on the accessory loads while charging. It never occurred to me to try it. The one thing I have tried while charging is Remote Climate. It will run the A/C for 15 minutes at a time from your smartphone.

The JdeMO is designed to work while the car is on and READY so the battery thermal management system is fully active. It will abort the charging if you touch the foot brake or parking brake and the car is immobilized while the DC charge cable is connected.

I am SO glad to hear that the JdeMO will allow full use of climate control while charging. I did this all the time with my dearly departed 2015 LEAF, using L1, L2, or CHAdeMO, so I just *assumed* that I would also be able to do it on the 2012 Silver RAV4 EV that I just bought in Nashville and had to ship to my home in Atlanta, because is doesn't have a JdeMO (yet). Needless to say, I was quite surprised and disappointed when I learned that the RAV thinks it is smarter than I am, so it won't let me stay cool (or warm) when I want to. I don't appreciate that kind of presumptuous programming. Using the Entune app to activate "remote" climate control every 15 minutes while I'm sitting in the car is better than having a heat stroke, but it does piss me off 4 times per hour...

Anyway, apart from the bitching above, I really like my new/used RAV, so if I decide to keep it, I am definitely going to order a JdeMO soon. Can you give me an idea of what the travel surcharge might be for installing it in Georgia? If I get my buddy to buy another RAV4 EV in Atlanta, and order a JdeMO too, would that cut the travel surcharge in half for me?

However, before I order a JdeMO, I need to get that godawful "Tesla whine" fixed. I didn't notice it on my brief test drive at fairly slow speeds, but it is a real nuisance at 50+ mph. I took it to my local yokel Toyota dealer last week, but it was the first RAV4 EV they had ever seen, so they didn't know what a normal or abnormal motor sound was. I'm used to my silent LEAF, so I can't live with this racket. Any suggestions on how/if I can get Toyota to replace my motor for free (in Georgia) before my powertrain warranty expires in 2018, or Tesla files for bankruptcy, whichever occurs first? Would Atlanta Tesla dealers be able to help me with any of this?

Thanks!

(Note: This is my first post, so please be gentle if I overlooked some etiquette or protocol that I'm not aware of.)

TonyWilliams said:
If you get a JdeMO purchase happening soon enough, I can combine it with a trip to Florida in the next 3-4 weeks.

That will save you surcharge money:

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JdeMo-for-Rav4EV-JdeMORav4.htm

Oh yeah, I guess you will be driving from California. For some reason, I assumed you would be flying, but on second thought, all those JdeMO's might look suspicious to the TSA geniuses!

How many extra JdeMO's do you (or could you) have ready to install by your Florida trip? I might talk my buddy into buying that 2014 RAV already, and a JdeMO too. That should further amortize your travel costs. Are you driving your Model S the whole way, with a frunk full of JdeMO parts and tools?

Thanks,

TonyWilliams said:
We ship everything... Tools and product.

We would love to get everybody taken care of in the southeast.

Yeah, shipping makes even more sense. My RAV just did the cutest thing, so I guess I have to keep it now. I pushed the mirror retraction button, and it folded its little ears back! Expect my JdeMO order shortly...

Thanks

tridub said:
TonyWilliams said:
We ship everything... Tools and product.

We would love to get everybody taken care of in the southeast.

Yeah, shipping makes even more sense. My RAV just did the cutest thing, so I guess I have to keep it now. I pushed the mirror retraction button, and it folded its little ears back! Expect my JdeMO order shortly...

Thanks

I just ordered my JdeMO this morning, plus hood struts. I'll be on a biz trip from 24-29 August, so I hope you can do my installation after that. I'm looking forward to life in the fast (charge) lane!

-Ray

Back