Plenty of room for a drive motor for the rear wheels

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cashcow

:D

Maybe others have noticed this but there seems to be plenty of room for a drive motor for the rear wheels. From the little I looked online it looks like need you'd need a second controller and a means to have them communicate with each other. Also, it sounded like these motors and controllers are not cheap, and you'd also need room to mount the second controller. I did read the other thread about increasing battery capacity and using the rear wells in the process. I'd prefer a second motor, but that is just me :p and hope we could upgrade the current battery pack with a much denser set of cheap batteries in the far far off future (likely requires a harness upgrade). Hopefully the rear wheel motor will increase driving range like with the tesla model S because of efficiencies.

That second part sounds excellent! The first, not so much. Would you be able to elaborate a little more on the finer details? I am hoping to land a job at Tesla as a service assistant then hopefully get to a service advisor and slowly work my way up. I am hoping to learn more about EVs by going through their service center and hopefully getting trained to work with the RAV4 EVs (If they are that much different that is). So the Tesla gateway is the meeting point between the Tesla components and the toyota components. Are the tesla bits strictly motor/battery/inverter/charging system/ gearbox and associated software? What about the panel displaying speed, power, regen, etc? Is that Toyota only? I did hear in the forum that when you take the RAV4 EV into service they have to call in Tesla specific technicians to work on certain things while others can be done by Toyota. I am wondering if there is anything that can only be done by Toyota and not by a Tesla Tech? Like, is there a port for Tesla techs and one for Toyota techs? Like for example body work, changing tires, suspension work, head lights, etc that is stuff both companies can do... but what are the toyota only specific things that require special access for the rav4 ev?

Back