Leviton 40 amp charger; how to program for EV rates

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burningmay

Hello folks,

I recently learnt that the RAV does not differentiate between the standard or the 40 amp charger, and it calculates the planned charging time on the assumption that its a stock charger. Is this correct ? If it is I am guessing I need to program in a later departure time in the car. Please tell me I am wrong.

burningmay said:
Hello folks,

I recently learnt that the RAV does not differentiate between the standard or the 40 amp charger, and it calculates the planned charging time on the assumption that its a stock charger. Is this correct ? If it is I am guessing I need to program in a later departure time in the car. Please tell me I am wrong.

Afaik, when there is nothing connected to the J1772 inlet, it calculates with 40 amps on 240 volts or 12 amps on 120 volts.
As soon as you hookup "a" J1772 cable , it detects the max amp it will/can send and adjusts the time to charge with the given amps.

Again, this is how _i_ think it works. Could be wrong ;-)

If the timer is set.... plug in the car right after you turn it off and get back in and the center console will update the exact start time based on your EVSE rating.
You can then adjust the end time manually to start when desired.
Although I believe if the EVSE rating is 20 amps or less the car thinks it is L1 and may start immediately.

Either way it starts way early. The longer the charge the more excess time it estimates. Yes you can probably set the end timer 1 or 2 hours later than needed.

You're in PG&E territory where EV-A starts at 11:00pm, right? We have our departure time set very early, use the Leviton 40A, and we never see the car start charging before 11pm even when we've got a low SOC at the end of the day.

It's nice to set the departure time accurately IMO because the car will pre-condition the battery pack (and cabin, if you set it) for when you drive just before the departure time - meaning that everything's warmed up and ready to go when it's cold out.

Back