What can I do at home if I got the Check EV System error?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVnewbie

Hi Guys,

My car is vin# 1270 in Santa Monica. I've had 3 troublefree years and 30k miles on the car until today when I went in my garage and the car was totally dead. It definitely behaves like the 12v is dead as the interior lights are flickering and the dash is barely lit. I tried to jump it with my other car and the dash lit up normally but I then saw the "Check EV System error". The car will shift into N but won't go into reverse or D. Should I leave it connected (jump) to the other car? Power cycle? Or should I just tow it to Toyota Santa Monica? I'll need to roll it out of the garage and into my alley. Does it need to be flatbed?

Thanks in advance for the troubleshooting advice. I'm also sifting through the forum to get up to speed.

Andy

Try to restart the car 5 times and see if the Check EV system error will clear. If you can get it into D and R after that, you're probably in the clear after you put in a new 12V battery. If it won't show READY, you have no alternative but to get it towed to the dealer.

Put in a new battery.

Rav4 EV 12 volt Battery recommendations:

I recommend the Bosch of Exide battery with the following specs for around $150-$180:

1) AGM (not flooded acid cells like the original)

2) Group 24F size

3) 60 amp/hour rating

Here are the specific models I recommend:

Exide Edge FP-AGM24F Flat Plate AGM Sealed Automotive Battery

Bosch S6508B S6 Flat Plate AGM Battery

The two above batteries are identical, except for superficial color and markings.

Thanks Guys. I got it working by doing a full disconnect of the battery and then jumping it again with my other car. Check EV system light is still on but I was able to drive it to the dealer (Santa Monica). Their EV tech is gone for the week so I will have to go back. In the meantime, I'll replace the 12v with one of the suggested batteries.

They are doing the seatbelt recall and the wiper motor recall along with some service items AC Filter ($229), brake fluid flush ($159) and alignment ($159). Guess they can still figure out how to get our money without oil changes, timing belts, fan belts, etc...

EVnewbie said:
They are doing the seatbelt recall and the wiper motor recall along with some service items AC Filter ($229), brake fluid flush ($159) and alignment ($159). Guess they can still figure out how to get our money without oil changes, timing belts, fan belts, etc...
I got a 2-pack of cabin air filters from Amazon for $17. It is a 3 minute install and no tools are required. The most conservative timing I've heard for brake fluid flush is 4 years from new then every two years. I also would not do alignment unless the tires showed abnormal wear patterns.

I also got: "Check EV. Have dealer examine vehicle immediately." On Sunday 10-16-16 I drove ev from driveway across street for tow truck. Media screen wouldn't display anything and backup camera did not come on when I backed up. Dealer said diagnostics show needs: new separation/hybrid valve $1000.00 and new media display $6000.00. A Toyota inspector had to examine the media display unit 10-20-16. (To verify no crash occurred?)

Thank you , myrav4ev forum members who referred me to platinum warranties since my 3yrs lease was ending Sept. 21st. I bought from Michel Dobres of Putnam Toyota in Burlingame: platinum warranty zero deductible for $995 and 3yrs ir 75K miles. I extended my lease for 6 months to March 21, 2017 with Toyota Financial.

I'll check out the Chevy Bolt and longer range Leaf. I hate surprise breakdowns despite regular maintenance and good care.

Anyone want to buy out my lease in March?

The Platinum warranty time and mileage is counted from first sale/lease. Did you really buy only 3 years? If so, it's already expired. If you were planning to have someone buy it out, you should have gotten a longer warranty because you could have transferred it to the buyer. The car would have a significantly higher value if it has the Platinum warranty in force.

Certainly, you can buy any car, but there is absolutely zero dependability data for the upcoming Chevrolet Bolt.

I'm not saying the Bolt will be bad or good; I'm saying that it is currently an unknown. The LEAF has been exceptionally troublefree, but after a complete redesign, anything could happen.

Good luck.

miimura said:
The Platinum warranty time and mileage is counted from first sale/lease. Did you really buy only 3 years? If so, it's already expired. If you were planning to have someone buy it out, you should have gotten a longer warranty because you could have transferred it to the buyer. The car would have a significantly higher value if it has the Platinum warranty in force.

Total 6 yrs. Expires 2019.

TonyWilliams said:
Certainly, you can buy any car, but there is absolutely zero dependability data for the upcoming Chevrolet Bolt.

I'm not saying the Bolt will be bad or good; I'm saying that it is currently an unknown. The LEAF has been exceptionally troublefree, but after a complete redesign, anything could happen.

Good luck.

Thanks.

well i had the Check-EV problem while driving today. I was going downhill (in fairly heavy regen) and it was pretty cold (35 degrees or so).

the turtle came on, the warning about no drive power etc. then, as happened the first time this happened (about 3 years ago shortly after i got the car), everything reset and was fine, except the Check EV warning was there.

I drove the car to church, started it after that, check-EV still there, everything else normal. A couple starts later while i was running errands, the Check EV was gone.

So, is it worth taking this to the dealer? (Will they be able to recover information from the logs)? Last time this happened, i went to the dealer then next day but nothing ever happened.

The car was just at the dealer last week actually for the couple of recalls (not drivetrain related).

I would drive it a week+ with the light on before I took it in.
Dealers do not know anything about this vehicle in my experience.
All they do is connect to the computer and call Tesla and/or Toyota engineer.
All the "training" was just for safety issues.
JMHO.

If the light is out you are good to go.

I got this error the other day, and it restarted after 5 tries. But I think I'll replace the starter battery. Can anyone (Tony) tell me the best method to do this so I don't inadvertently brick the car?

Ramona

Back