Called Tesla SErvice Center regarding dualcharges for rav4 e

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cashcow

and was told they don't service other vehicles. That the rav4 ev just has 'tesla parts' even though I emphasized the whole power train unit was Tesla Branded and it was essentially a Gen1 Tesla (Unless I'm wrong here). They also said they can't bring in other vehicles into the shop which makes me wonder if it is just company policy. Finally they said I need to call Toyota and ask them about the dual charger installation, but I am wondering just how far a Toyota dealer will actually help. At least the service center acknowledge the rav4 ev has 'Tesla Parts'. Ok, yeah, but you guys should be able to service those bits? If I go to Toyota they have to call you guys to come in and do the work.

Obviously Toyota has to call in a Tesla tech to come in and do the work on the RAV4 EV. The real question is... if say the T.Delaer does call up Tesla and asks someone to come in. Will Tesla policy stop the tech from actually doing the work? In that it is out of 'standard procedure' that is allowed?

Tesla Voice Mail:

Hello, this is ------ at tesla again calling about the dual chargers you inquired about I spoke to my service advisors as well as my shop foreman, and they are telling me that is something you would have to go through Toyota about we don't service that in our service centers. We wouldn't bring any mercedes or or anything like that in in here even though you are telling me that There are tesla parts so again You would have to go through Toyota about the dual chargers for prices and the length of repair and things like that if you have any more questions. Give me a call back my number is -------------. Thank you so much. Bye. Bye.

-edit-

Called the toyota dealership and they said they were not sure. Gave me the 18003314331 toyota corporate number I believe.

Called the corporate and they told me they are forwarding my case to their 'ev' department team to a case mnager and said I would get contacted to see if anything can be done.

Are you talking about putting in a second on-board charger so that you can charge faster from AC power? Neither Toyota nor Tesla are going to help you do that. You would have to find someone like Quick Charge Power or eMotorWerks to do that kind of thing. It is actually cheaper to get the JdeMO than a second on-board charger. However, it is only useful in places where fast chargers are located.

HI there I think no one out there has actually asked Tesla or Toyota for the option so I figured why not ask? Likely they will say no and so far Tesla has so now it is on Toyota but I highly doubt they would do anything. It seems Tesla won't service anything but a tesla for the public though with the big companies obviously they will service them ;). Do you think the installation for the second charger will cost $5,000 or more? What is your price estimate? $10,000?

Most likely the software in the car won't support it and you couldn't get either company to do it for any figure you could name. It's possible someone could figure out how to hack one in, but in general you'd be better off getting a JdeMO. Also, generally speaking, Tesla techs do not come out to work on Rav4EVs. The Toyota techs can do any normal work. Only in unusual situations where the Toyota guys can't figure out a problem, would a Tesla tech have to touch a Rav4EV (in that case Tesla would send them out).

To add a second onboard Tesla charger would require more than just the charger:

1) inlet and wiring upgraded to 80 amp capable
2) mounting for charger (where?)
3) cooling system modifications for charger (they are liquid cooled)
4) programming changes that would require certification of the entire firmware package (in other words, not going to happen). Short of another government recall, we won't get any further updates beyond 1.1.103.
5) charger requires programming to be a "slave".

The best way (only, actually) to get an additional onboard charger is to use one of the several that are on the market with a separate J1772 inlet.

Hi Tony,

Great information as always :) Pretty unhappy to hear about hte need for the firmware update :(. I just got a voice mail from Toyota HQ;

Yes, I good afternoon this message is for Mr. 00000. Mr. 00000. My name is K99 S99. I'm a case manager here at the corporate office at Toyota. We are just following up. it looks like you had reached out to our offices regarding your 2014 Rav4 EV, and we do appreciate it, looks like you were inquiring into a, I guess, charging alternative and I am more than happy to speak with you on this. We only design the vehicle to support One type of charger, I'm actually not familiar with that, the only charger, in home charger, that Toyota tested and approved authorized do so for this vehicle at your place of home is the Leventon 240 watt charger outside of that we would not be able to provide any type of recommendation for any other charging unit that would be the only one like I said a level 2 240 volt charging station that Toyota did test and approved before this vehicle was actually launched a back in 2012. So terribly sorry we won't have any other information regarding any other charges or certainly not recommended to utilize any other charger because of the you know potential success in charging as well as a potential damage that it made due to the vehicle my direct phone number is ----- and this is my direct line here at Toyota headquarters again. It's K99 at Toyota ======= . Thank you for your time. Bye, bye now.

So there you go. Officially checked and verified with Toyota and also with Tesla. I could always call in and speak with the manager, but it sounded like there really isn't an option if they can't even offer or recommend other HOME chargers outside of the leviton unit. If they can't even do that I don't see how they could offer anything for inside of the vehicle.

cashcow said:
"looks like you were inquiring into a, I guess, charging alternative and I am more than happy to speak with you on this. We only design the vehicle to support One type of charger, I'm actually not familiar with that, the only charger, in home charger, that Toyota tested and approved authorized do so for this vehicle at your place of home is the Leventon 240 watt charger outside of that we would not be able to provide any type of recommendation for any other charging unit that would be the only one like I said a level 2 240 volt charging station that Toyota did test and approved before this vehicle was actually launched a back in 2012."

That's very amusing. They didn't even understand your question. And they made the oh-so-common mistake of referring to the external charging cord/EVSE unit as a "charger" when of course all it does is connect to the actual onboard charger in the vehicle.

Back