More problems center console not turning on?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cashcow

So after my lead acid battery cooked up and spilled acid, plus got vented into the cabin while I slept with the fan on, I changed my lead acid for the suggested Bosch Platinum Series AGM Battery Group, Size 24F. Since the cabin air filter smells like battery acid (I guess it got saturated from the last incident) I am sleeping with the rav4 ev OFF while out camping.

Well I woke today and turned the rav4 ev on. I pressed the brake gently on to turn on the traction battery and I herd the vacuum brakes activating slowly. Then I turned on the rav4 ev and noticed the time was wrong. It said 3:49am. Strange that was about the time it was when I went to sleep last night. Right now it is 9:40am. So apparently now the time is wrong.

Next, the center console is not turning on. Pressed the little button under it to see if it would respond. No response. So the little screen on the bottom is on but center console isn't. I got no errors from the rav4 ev on the main screen behind the steering.

Have not taken the rav4 ev in to the dealer I was going to do so in 2 weeks.

This is just bad news. I mentioned things briefly in a camping forum I visit and someone ran the idea in my previous incident thread (Where I had mentioned the lead acid fuming up and spilling acid) that maybe the inverter could have been over charging the lead acid and causing it to boil.

So I don't know what is going on, but it was a little odd that the vacuum brakes fired slowly (Then again they are running of the agm so maybe its normal) and also that the time on the clock is wrong. Again no error message from the rav4 ev.

Hate to say it but with this and other issues from the rav4 ev I almost feel the idea of selling floating inside my head :(. Really don't want to but after 8 months of ownership I'm kind of disappointed.

UPDATE:

So new UPDATE: I have no power in my usb port where I usually charge my wifi spot. Nothing nada. Its not my wifi because I can charge it with the usb port in my netbook. Power mirrors work. Up down left right. Folding mirrors work too. Something else I noticed NO VOICE command and NO RADIO. I tried pressing the buttons on the steering wheel to activate it and no go. Obviously no rear view camera which sucks.

Cruise control does work. emergency lights do work

Beeping when door is open does work. but beeping from turning on say heated seats, fan, does not work. Time is wrong and the little screen under the center console does work.

12v power on all 3 SIG SOCKETS DO WORK (YES!)

COULD IT POSSIBLY BE JUST A FUSE THAT BLEW UP? is that why there is no power to the usb port?

On the other hand, after sitting in my car for about two hours with the rav4 ev in ready on (traction battery on) I decided to go to my nearest autozone so they could check the battery; for free. They took out a device and clamped the positive and negative terminal. input in cold cracking amps. Then the machine did a little test and here is the results:

Battery info: 12 volt battery.
13.15V is the current charge
100% charge
Good Battery.

And that's that. The car was OFF when they did the test but I had to drive to that location and had the car ON for about two hours trying to figure out what was happening with the console.

Also is 13.15v NORMAL for the battery when the car is off?

cashcow said:
the center console is not turning on. Pressed the little button under it to see if it would respond. No response. So the little screen on the bottom is on but center console isn't. I got no errors from the rav4 ev on the main screen behind the steering.

Disconnect the (new) 12 volt battery for 1 minute and reconnect and see if the center console comes back to life.
It might be a software glitch.
Power cycle should take care of that.

fromport said:
Disconnect the (new) 12 volt battery for 1 minute and reconnect and see if the center console comes back to life.
It might be a software glitch.
Power cycle should take care of that.

Hey there :)!

Power cycle is disconnecting the 12v battery? Not going through the regular power button on ready on traction battery on sequence? Won't I lose all the info on the computer if I do that? Last time they hooked something up in the obd port when they changed the lead acid and the agm. The guy told me that something very bad would happen if I didn't do that. Hate being so technically dumb with this stuff :(.

So new UPDATE: I have no power in my usb port where I usually charge my wifi spot. Nothing nada. Its not my wifi because I can charge it with the usb port in my netbook. Power mirrors work. Up down left right. Folding mirrors work too. Something else I noticed NO VOICE command and NO RADIO. I tried pressing the buttons on the steering wheel to activate it and no go. Obviously no rear view camera which sucks.

Cruise control does work. emergency lights do work

Beeping when door is open does work. but beeping from turning on say heated seats, fan, does not work. Time is wrong and the little screen under the center console does work.

COULD IT POSSIBLY BE JUST A FUSE THAT BLEW UP? is that why there is no power to the usb port?

On the other hand, after sitting in my car for about two hours with the rav4 ev in ready on (traction battery on) I decided to go to my nearest autozone so they could check the battery; for free. They took out a device and clamped the positive and negative terminal. input in cold cracking amps. Then the machine did a little test and here is the results:

Battery info: 12 volt battery.
13.15V is the current charge
100% charge
Good Battery.

And that's that. The car was OFF when they did the test but I had to drive to that location and had the car ON for about two hours trying to figure out what was happening with the console.

Also is 13.15v NORMAL for the battery when the car is off?

12v power on all 3 SIG SOCKETS DO WORK (YES!)

Disconnecting the 12V battery will not hurt anything. Maybe you lose some settings, but that's it. It will force a restart of the whole NAV head unit, which may do some good in your situation. It could also be the fuse for the head unit. The USB doesn't work because it comes from the head unit.

The Audio System (NAV head unit) is on fuse #10 in the engine compartment. See page 389 in the manual. I would check that. If you don't have hard copies of the manuals, they are available on the forum here: http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=440

What is lost and needs to be reset with a 12 volt disconnect:

viewtopic.php?p=20859#p20859

1) Cabin climate control is Off. Make appropriate settings.

2) Stored radio / SiriusXM stations will remain, however your last station listened to will likely be gone

3) Cell phone pairings are not 100%. You may have to delete your phone (and the RAV4 from your phone) and re-pair them

4) Map display mode

5) Volume of navigation voice notifications

6) Random play modes

7) Charge schedule will be retained, but it won't work without hitting the "SAVE" button on the previous screen. Check the programmed settings first, then go back to the previous page to press Save. It won't save the data any other way.

8) State selection from Destination address page

1) To do a reset, make sure the car is OFF.

2) Also, make sure it is not plugged in.

3) Physically remove ALL THREE black negative leads to the 12 volt battery.

4) Wait one minute.

5) Reconnect all three black negative leads. You should see and hear a spark when this happens (which is how you will know that you had the car turned off). If there's no spark, there's no reset.

6) Turn the car back on. If you are camping all night, I absolutely recommend:

a. Leaving the car in READY (ON).
b. Turn off the center console by holding the lower center button for 3 seconds, and turn it back on by just tapping it.
c. Turn the headlights to DRL/OFF, and turn down the instrument lights.
d. Lock the doors

This will run the climate control, as well as keep the 12 volt fully charged.

I pulled the fuse first because I need to buy the tool to undo the screws on the battery clamps and inspected the fuse. Doesn't look broken. Just the blade has some discoloring and I wonder what that is from.

DyQ5ciB

JjhJXBN

3sgvM8P

cLysBF

ftWqyv

hNfiJv

http://imgur.com/gallery/ov6hp

for some reason images aren't loading

I waited like three minutes before I plugged the fuse back in and then turned the car on. said the computer was restarting... and then wow everything is working again. radio center console and usb port all good. Well looks like its fixed and didn't even have to remove the battery clamps :)

just one question is 13.15v for the battery while the car is off normal? highly appreciate all the help guys planning on taking a vehicle repair class next semester right now I am doing an introduction to electronics :::)

Oh Tony and thank you for all the steps. Highly appreciate them. I usually camp out with the rav4 ev like that. Console off and ready on traction battery. I thought it could possibly help keep the traction battery healthier since the climate system is on for the battery but what do I know.

cashcow said:
I pulled the fuse first because I need to buy the tool to undo the screws on the battery clamps and inspected the fuse. Doesn't look broken. Just the blade has some discoloring and I wonder what that is from.
[snip]
I waited like three minutes before I plugged the fuse back in and then turned the car on. said the computer was restarting... and then wow everything is working again. radio center console and usb port all good. Well looks like its fixed and didn't even have to remove the battery clamps :)
Did you by any change use a big load on the cigarate lighter under the center console ?
It might be connected to the same fuse and have caused all the trouble in the first place
just one question is 13.15v for the battery while the car is off normal? highly appreciate all the help guys planning on taking a vehicle repair class next semester right now I am doing an introduction to electronics :::)
Float voltage of 12 volt battery is 13.8-14 volt.
Battery voltage can go as high as 15.4 volts during an equalizing charge.
When just switched off, it is (imo) normal to see 13.15 volt.

hey there I only plug in 2 items in the cig socket under the center console. The first is an old small cell phone that my mom owns and the other is at rate times a flash light of moderate size. Out of the two the one that likely could pull more is the flash light. I asked my mom if she had plugged it in yesterday and said no. I have been far too busy to pay attention if it was done. We rarely use it but I believe sometime this month we have used it. It might have been plugged in febuary of this year which is this month. Haven noticed any issues though.....

I am curious if the discoloring on one of the fuse blades is normal_ Sorry images dont load. is the gallery link to imgur working? any suggestions on what could be or if I should try another online image upload place?

Thanks for the input on the battery I can rest soundly at night now. Well with the window down not as much as I'd wish :( but still lovely to camp and rest.

cashcow said:
hey there I only plug in 2 items in the cig socket under the center console. The first is an old small cell phone that my mom owns and the other is at rate times a flash light of moderate size. Out of the two the one that likely could pull more is the flash light. I asked my mom if she had plugged it in yesterday and said no. I have been far too busy to pay attention if it was done. We rarely use it but I believe sometime this month we have used it. It might have been plugged in febuary of this year which is this month. Haven noticed any issues though.....
neither item seems to be real power hog.

I would be more suspicious on 12V -> 120 Volt inverters and such stuff.

I am curious if the discoloring on one of the fuse blades is normal_ Sorry images dont load. is the gallery link to imgur working? any suggestions on what could be or if I should try another online image upload place?
Thanks for the input on the battery I can rest soundly at night now. Well with the window down not as much as I'd wish :( but still lovely to camp and rest.

If you don't trust the fuse, replace it and keep the old one as a spare. shouldn't be very expensive.

Back