I was involved in an accident with my RAV4 EV

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cashcow

Hey guys,

I'm ok and so is my family member. I was driving up north on a 2 lane street and a man in a chevrolet express comercial van suddenly made a U turn from the #2 lane while I was on the #1 lane. He was making a U turn so he could go South. There were 2 other lanes on the other side going south. Unfortunately he did this maneuver too close in front of me. Literally I believe I was about 8 feet away and I suddenly saw this white comercial van wall in front of me. I tried to stop and turned as much as I safely could to my left as he came across but still collided. The right side of my rav4 ev got damage. Basically right side of fender, right head light, and right side of body panel in the car got crumpled. I don't think it was that bad but the suspension also, I think, got damaged. Also weird thing my front and rear wind shield wipers would not stop working. I had to remove the fuse for the front and rear windshield wipers. Also it seems the rear wiper motor somehow turned facing down? So now it just wipes the body of the rav4 ev instead of the rear window.

The guy got out of the comercial van (Carpet Cleaning) and apologized and quickly said it was all his fault. The guy helped me unjammed my right wheel because the frame was rubbing against the tire.

I spoke with my insurance company state farm and filed a claim :(. I don't know what is going to happen. They have a select and service (R) program to take your car in to a body car repair shop and .... I looked at the list of the body shops.

It actually even lists one of the toyota dealer's body shops that is close by. This was the place I going to get my 10k mile service for my rav4 ev.

So I am wondering what to do? Should I opt to get the rav4 ev body repaired at the toyota dealer that has the body shop service? Or should I go with the other private body shops listed on their website?

What is going to happen to my warranty? What about my extended warranty? :( The damage doesn't look too bad... I don't think they will declare it total loss. This is going into the carfax report right? how is this going to affect the value of my car :(? It appears I won't pay a deductible... but am I still going to take a shot on the resale value of my rav4 ev :(?

This really wasn't my fault :(

I'm wondering if I should ask to have the rav4 ev serviced at the toyota dealer with the bodyshop service. Or a private body shop? I don't know how each selection will affect my toyota warranty. The past 2 months have been so tough for me. Not the best way to start 2017 :(.

at least though I am ok and so is my significant other :(

My car was recently repaired. It required $12,000 of parts, labor, and paint. Basically, everything in front of the engine bay frame rails was replaced. Now, it's like new. Service King in Palo Alto did good work.

This picture was taken after they disassembled it to look for damage to the frame rails.

RAV_Front_End_Damage_r.jpg

As long as your insurance company doesn't write it off, your extended warranty will be intact. My repair required some extra time because the RAV4 EV is apparently not in the body shop database. Normally, they just bring up your model in the computer, click on the diagram for the parts required, and it totals up all the parts. In my case, they had to make a paper list of parts and send it down the street to the Toyota dealer for part numbers, prices, and ordering. I will warn you, the headlights are expensive. My invoice shows $966.95 + 0.3hr labor. Each.

Two areas will quickly cause it to be totaled - rear quarter panel, and the unibody around the firewall. If the whole dashboard is shifted over due to impact near the leading edge of a front door, it's toast.

Good Luck.

Hi Miimura,

That's a nice electric motor you have there :).

Would you happen to know if when taken to a toyota dealer repair shop the dealer can provide a loaner at no charge? Maybe through a benefit on the extended warranty or something? Admittedly I did not check....

Thanks for getting back to me. What kind of collision were you involved in? Was most of the damage concentrated on the front? I was able to drive the RAV4 EV home after the guy helped me unjammed the wheel. I am a little worried about the suspension on that side though. I don't think the dashboard shifted over, but I'm really unknowledgeable about this.

The right head light is toast. Doesn't turn on. I have full coverage and the guy has full coverage and said he would admit fault. Should I even be worried about the bill? I wouldn't mind a write-off if they pay me well for the rav4 ev :(.

Regarding the body shop is it preferable to take it to a Toyota dealer body shop? Or does this not matter? Would I need to provide papers to Toyota is it is not done at their dealers?

This will go on my car's carfax report right? Will this impact my resale value?

DSCF3637_zpsvbawjzk3.jpg

DSCF3638_zpsz7dlibsp.jpg

It's a collision, so the normal policies about loaner cars at a dealer don't apply. It depends entirely on your insurance or the at-fault party's insurance to determine if you get a loaner or not.

Our collision was directly to the front. Both fenders and the hood were replaced. Yours looks like $5k-$7.5k as long as the passenger door is unaffected. They will have to disassemble it and look for damage around the suspension mounting points.

I took my car to the body shop that was contracted by my insurance company. I only paid the deductible and the insurance company worked with them on all the approvals and payments. I don't think there is much benefit to using a dealer's body shop except that they may be able to get the parts faster.

Good luck.

Hi Miimura,

You are right. I called the insurance company and was told if the other party admits fault then my rental car can be covered through their, I think it was called, property damage liability total. Something like that. So hopefully if the other party still admits fault like how he did when the accident happened then I should be able to have a similar size vehicle. More than likely a gas car :( but hey its something. Could enjoy more a hybrid. Ford escape hybrid maybe? Yeah not going to happen.

I think the passenger door is okay. It just cracks when we park on a street that tits toward the sidewalk :(. Mother says it needs an adjustment? I think it might be the body section right in front of the door... front side? That got crumpled somewhat.

I still wonder why the wind shield wipers won't stop swinging. Front and back. They don't respond to the wand on the steering wheel. Craziest thing is the rear wind shield wiper got turned so it now faces down. The impact must have turned it in its place?

The suspensions and all those parts will likely need to be replaced. It doesn't look as uniformed as the other side and collapsed somewhat. I think a good part of the impact when into the suspension. For better of worse I think the spring took in some of that force then bounced it off causing the supporting structure to be altered....

I would guess... no write-off but still worried about deiminished valued. I was told by my insurance company that I can file a diminished value claim, but it would be with the other party's insurance and that I'd have to do all the paper work and evidence to prove the diminished value.

I also have to report to accident to dmv within 10 days because it is more than 1,000k in damages :(.

What kind of loss to the value of my car can I expect when they look up the carfax and see that it was in an accident???

Itś sprinkling a little today and figured I would put the fuse back in for the front wind shield wipers so they can work while I drive. Placed the fuse back in and nothing. Iḿ not sure why they are not working. They were before I pulled the fuse.

Now that I remember I used to get an error message in the rav4 saying LOW WINDSHIELD WIPER FLUID. interestingly I dont get that message now. I never pulled the fuse for the washer unit. I think in the crash the fluids, or what was left, for the windshields got out. So the tank was empty and like the wipers maybe the motor for the washer unit kept running. Maybe it got burned? Would this affect the wiper motor unit?

So wipers don't work no more even when putting the fuse back in. Cause? Maybe the washer unit kept running secretly with out my knowledge and got burned. Would failure of that unit affect the front windshield wipers?

no more error message for low windshield fluid. I had that going for a while too.

Hi Guys,

I spoke with the adjustor and mentioned that I can take the care to get repaired at their progressive body repair shop where the adjustor office is or I can pick a bodyshop for example the local toyota dealer that has a body shop. Would it be better to take it to the toyota body shop or the progressive body shop? I am thinking the toyota shop would be better no? Because the whole work would be done by toyota? Thoughts? It will also be more expensive should I be worried? The other person had full coverage but the adjustor said it would be no issue?Help?

I'd take it to the Toyota shop. Is it the same dealer you purchased from? If so all vehicle history will be documented for any future buyer or future warranty work. Plus if they have any issues getting something to work right they have Toyota and Tesla to fallback on which may save time in getting the work done and done right.

Hi Co2112,

I actually bought it used at a non-toyota dealer. No accidents in the History. I guess that will change now. I was reading this here:

http://www.autodamageexperts.com/diminished-value/faq/

"11. Who is working for me… the repairer or the insurer?

The consumer is usually pitted between the insurance company’s need to minimize their losses and the repair facilities need to make a profit. Today many repair facilities and insurance companies have established mutual relationships similar to a HMO/PPO referred to as “DRP” or “Direct Repair Programs” whereas the repairers adhere to insurer mandates in exchange for continued referrals. These mandates are to keep repair costs low and may restrict proper repair techniques, materials and processes. Far too often these DRP relationships have the repair shop working for the insurer and not you or in your best interests. In most cases it is best to seek a truly independent repairer, of your own selection, (based upon recommendations from those you know and trust) who will work for you in the proper restoration of your vehicle. If it is a DRP shop than ensure that they understand it is you whom they work for in the repair of your vehicle. If needed, get it in writing! Most state laws mandate that the choice of repairer is yours and yours alone. Don’t trust others to make such important decisions with your economic and personal welfare.

3. Do I have to use a specific collision repair facility?

No. In most states, including Florida and Oregon, you have the absolute right to select the collision repair facility of your choice. If the insurer gives you a list of ‘recommended repair shops’, they likely will have indicated repair shops which have entered into a contract with them. These shops may see the insurer as their customer, not you, the vehicle owner. These agreements may determine how your vehicle will be repaired and may encourage the use of non-original aftermarket replacement parts or call for shortcuts and other cost saving activities. By choosing an insurance preferred or referral shop, you may be giving up your rights in the proper and thorough repair process."

I actually did not know some repair body shops had these sort of contracts. The other person has progressive and I am putting my claim through them but when I was checking my insurance company 'state-farm' they have a select and serve program and it did list the Toyota dealer I am thinking of. Should I Be worried? If the toyota dealer is going to work with progressive getting less that optimal repair work then I have no idea who to go to.

I am also thinking on doing a diminishing value claim and it sounds like I need to contact a professional auto appraisal and valuation service as part of the claim to make it more successful :(. Unless the rav gets written off ... though I don't think that will happen.

If this were any other car other then a Tesla I would take it to wherever I feel comfortable or is most convenient for me. But because of so many variables with a RAV4 EV I'd want to get it in the hands of the experts. Less down time. Factory approved parts. Able to troubleshoot any additional errors that may come up.

But for me I usually go with whatever shop is nearest to me, has good customer service, and I trust and who may provide online progress reports with updates and pictures. Most body shops do this nowadays. Am I a car repair expert no. Usually the ones I have had to use overestimate the work and estimate time to do the job right. I don't think Toyota with what they charge and the price for parts for this car will turn and burn. But do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

Again with this car there are no short cuts (I don't think) you'll probably get the best work from the Toyota dealership. Any questions you have will be answered a little more timely and if they can't they have a couple sources to fall back on being Toyota and Tesla.

Thanks CO,

Yes, I feel the Toyota Dealership will likely be the best bet. Any thoughts on diminished value for the RAV4 EV after this incident goes into the car history? I will try my best to file the diminished value claim, but it doesn't sound easy. I read the professional inspection of the vehicle after repairs can cost me about 300-400 usd, ouch? Your thoughts on the situation? I wonder if Miimura file for diminished value on the rav4 after the incident?

I did not look into diminished value. I am planning to keep the car beyond 100k miles, so the recent situation will have little bearing on its value at that time. If I were planning to sell it soon, like when we get our Model 3, I would have looked into it. However, the 3 will be replacing our e-Golf, whose lease is up in April 2018.

Is it documented that the other driver is at fault and his insurance company is paying your claims? If so go ahead and make the diminished value claim. You have a greater chance for getting it approved if it is documented you're not at fault and are entitled to make the claim. If they deny it ask your insurance carrier to step in and fight for you.

I guess it would come down to how much your time is worth, what is the value lost, how much will it cost to get the appraisal, and if you are successful how long will it take to prove the lost value and actually get paid for it. I have no idea if this type of claim is a long drawn out process with a lot of back and forth.

If you are not at fault its definitely worth a look. Maybe run it by your carrier first and ask if they can assist in a full or partial payment to get the appraisal completed (it may be in their best interest because your premium is based on the value of the car) or can the repair shop provide an appraisal (may not be possible) but everything is worth asking.

miimura said:
I did not look into diminished value. I am planning to keep the car beyond 100k miles, so the recent situation will have little bearing on its value at that time. If I were planning to sell it soon, like when we get our Model 3, I would have looked into it. However, the 3 will be replacing our e-Golf, whose lease is up in April 2018.
Of course, it doesn't really matter whether you plan to sell it. If they accept the claim, they pay you the diminished value. There's no requirement that you ever sell it.

davewill said:
miimura said:
Of course, it doesn't really matter whether you plan to sell it. If they accept the claim, they pay you the diminished value. There's no requirement that you ever sell it.
Yes, but if you were going to take a financial hit in the near term, it would be worth your time to fight for it now. Also, as pointed out above, it matters if the other party is 100% at fault. In my case, they made the determination that the person driving my car was 50% at fault.

Hi guys,

The other driver should be 100% at fault. He made the illegal u turn in front of me and quickly stepped out saying it was his fault and that i would be 'taken care of'. it's my first accident so i should have wiped out my camera, but i was totally lost shocked and confused.

No police or witnesses were around so it is only our words.

I called the toyota dealership and was told that if they use genuine toyota part or after martket parts that it is up to the INSurANCE company to decide. That is a bummer. I guess they can cut corners else were. Called proggresive which is the insurance doing the work and verified that it is true. the person who they will send out to evaluate the damges will decide that. so i guess what I read is true. the dealerships do work for the insurance companies! well they are the ones paying.. but damn....

The other individual said he would admit fault but I have not been told if he has. i am hoping he stays true to his word. this is such a dilema. my only options it seems are possibly getting a write off or afterwards filing a diminished climed. i spoke with the adjustor from progressive and said that diminished claims usually don't pay much unless you car is an expensive car like a lambo and such.

what a tough start for 2017....

-Edit-

After a few hours of research I found out there is no other way on the non-oem parts unless there are no OEM alternatives which does apply to some components of the rav4 ev such as the headlights. The body of the rav4 ev is from the gasoline version, an old version, so likely there are plenty of non-oem parts for that area. Tesla components likely do not have any non-oem replacements so if anything is damaged from that and needs to be changed then it will be OEM.

Anyway, I figure now my best option is just to build up my information for the diminished value claim. I'm thinking on doing the following:

1- Search for all used RAV4 EV of same year and close to same millage ads and print them.

2- After repairs are done with the rav4 ev drive out then back into the dealer lot and ask for the rav4 ev's now new 'trade-in' value and if they can buy the rav4 ev ask for that. Get all in paper if possible.

3- Go to carmax and get a free price estimate in paper of the rav4 ev with its accident/repair history.

4- Host an 'make an offer' eBay auction for the rav4 ev with all repair data available in the auction then print out all offers for the rav4 ev.

5- Get some print outs from kellybluebook on the prices for the rav4 ev with out an accident history.

6- Possibly get a proffesional appraisal for the rav4 ev but this one can be costly from what I hear.

And I'm out of ideas for now. Any suggestions as to what could help the diminished value claim would be quite welcomed. I know we talk a lot here about 'not wanting to own the rav4 ev out of warranty' because of how expensive it is to repair... so I am wondering how I can use that also. Maybe make a list of the price for the Tesla components?

Thoughts/Help?

Just got an update: I was told the original repair for the rav4 ev with out a tare down and full inspection was going to be 6,000. Now that they did a full tare down and inspection they increased the amount by another 6,000. So right now the total cost to repair my rav4 ev is 12,000. They said that since the full tare down and inspection is over that there still is a chance to find other issues but that this chance is greatly diminished. Oh, and that the cost to repair will likely go up because the parts they have listed for the repair are non-original manufacturer and that some of these might not be correct for the rav4 ev. So they will need to check if each part will be usable for the rav4 ev. That means that this can also increase the cost to repair the rav4 ev. They also say that for a write off the cost will have to go above 18,000 and that even then at that point it is only considered and not done yet.

So there you go. I asked for a list of parts that they will use and was told they still have to check and see what they will use because it is an EV. After that I should get a part list and also a list of what the damages were or something like that.

I'm surprised it went up that high. The damage did not look so bad, but what do I know? I thought it would be around 3,000.

-edit-

This also means staying longer in a rental. They got me in a minivan which is nice for matching the space in the rav4 ev. Gosh I miss my rav4 ev so much this really is solidifying me in that electric cars are the future. Also, hate paying for gas. Gas here is between 3 to 3.50 per gallon. Its a pain. They can't pay me for the gas and I asked to at least be upgraded to a hybrid. A toyota Prius V would be very nice as there really aren't anymore hybrids out there and enterprice rental car which is what they are using doesn't seem to carry anything more than a prius and are super rare. Not sure what else to do. This gas stuff is killing me... literally I can't stand the fumes anymore :(. I also miss the electric power train. The car shifts so much I really liked the single gear on the rav4 ev. Oh and I miss the regen breaks so much. I read online the brake pads release dust when used and this causes cancer.

-edit-

I was also told the impact was close to the right side fusebox. That is also clamped/pinched/damaged some cables there. Suspension is not damaged and wheel aligment came out as perfect so damage was mostly on top? Said there is a chance to need a new wiring harness costing 3,200 so this will bring us to 15,200 if the wiring harness is needed.

Also they said they can't stop the wind shield wipers from turning on and not sure why rear wind shield wiper is working backwards..... I think the motor got turned around but they said it could be reversed polarity???????

The guy also labeled the work as "THIS WAS A HUGE REPAIR ESTIMATE FOR BOTH BODY WORK AND MECHANICAL." bumping the cost by another 6k as I mentioned before.

So you didn't take it to Toyota, eventhough they were a preferred repair shop by your insurance? Was other driver found 100% at fault?

Hi Co,

The car is @ the Toyota Collision Center being worked on 'by the pros'. The other driver was found to be 100% at fault. I'm in a rental, but the gas prices were are starting to get crazy. I think december last year they were about 2.50 to 2.60 now its 3.00 :(. I'm never going back to gas again. Will just get some solar panels once free charging is gone. The whole paying for gas thing is a pitfall !

Back