Brake Pad Replacement

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eplantz

My 2013 has 25,000 miles on it. I was curious about the experiences of people with more mileage regarding the need to replace brake pads.

If you had to replace the pads, at what mileage did that happen???

Thanks

Gotta love that regenerative braking! That's one reason I drive in B mode a lot...to save my brake pads. Kinda like thrust reversers, eh Tony?

I have 48k miles, and took a look when I rotated my tires, and the front ones were at about 50% ..
It also looks like they have wear sensors, so you should get a warning ...

i have like 75% of my pads left at about 55K miles (9mm out of 12mm thickness) (last time they were checked at the dealer).

So not worried. The car may not outlive the pads.

I am having new tires put on and the dealer just called me to tell me that I need to replace my front brake pads. They are at 2mm he says. I have a 2014 with about 55,000 miles. I tow my lawnmower to my rental properties so I guess I used them up.

They quoted me $500! I can probably do them myself so I declined.

jimbo69ny said:
I am having new tires put on and the dealer just called me to tell me that I need to replace my front brake pads. They are at 2mm he says. I have a 2014 with about 55,000 miles. I tow my lawnmower to my rental properties so I guess I used them up.

They quoted me $500! I can probably do them myself so I declined.
Please tell us the real situation after you personally inspect.
Sounds like the typical over maintenance from the dealer.

I have 74K miles on mine, pads still good. I bought a box of new pads from Toyota, never used it...

I put these on 2 days ago. https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...utm_campaign=confirmation&utm_content=general

I picked them up for $55. I purchased them on Advanced Auto's website. A pop up came up offering me the option of buying them for 25% off and pick up in store today. Great deal so I did.
They also have a lifetime warranty. Looks like I am never paying for brakes again. haha

It was very easy. It only took me 45 mins and I had never done it before. I bet next time I could do it in less than 30 mins. Anyone with a jack, 14mm socket and 17 mm wrench could do this. I couldn't believe how easy it was.

Changing brake pads on any disc brake equipped car is easy. The only danger is that when you have all 4 wheels that have worn pads, when you push the pistons back in it displaces fluid and the reservoir can overflow. So, it's better to re-seat the brakes by starting the car and pushing the brake pedal down so that the new pads are properly seated before doing the second axle. Also, check the fluid level after each one to make sure it's not close to overflowing.

miimura said:
Changing brake pads on any disc brake equipped car is easy. The only danger is that when you have all 4 wheels that have worn pads, when you push the pistons back in it displaces fluid and the reservoir can overflow.
A potentially larger issue is that when reversing the flow of brake fluid to the extent needed to install new pads, you are pushing old fluid back into the ABS pump. Not a cheap part, and not something you want to foul with debris. While we all hope that there are no particulates in our brake system's fluid, the junk I've seen come out of poorly-maintained brake systems informs me otherwise: there's junk in there, and the longer you go between brake fluid changes, the more there is.

It's best practice to open a bleeder nipple on the caliper you're working on and allow the displaced fluid to discharge outside the system, when compressing the caliper's piston(s).

I swap the brake fluid on my race car after each track day, ABS still works fine

How do you guys jack up the car, i feel like i need to get a jack pad with slots to lift this car up on the side

Back