Opinions - replace second Rav with used model S??

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tadol

My Rav is perfect for me - and my wife is pretty happy with hers, but - she really likes leather, and sun roofs, and schnazzy sound systems, etc. We bought my lease, but hers is coming up in another 4 or 5 months, and I'm starting to think. Maybe, a used model S, something that would give us maybe 200 mile range, would be fun. Her irregular commute takes her right by the Tesla plant, so she could fast charge there whenever she drives by, and she'd really love a red one -

So - her RAV4 has low miles, jdemo, extended warranty - basically a keeper. But there are so many models and options on the Teslas, I'm not sure I want to deal with learning everything about them to make a good used vehicle decision.

Again - advice, experiences, and thoughts very, very welcome -

The Model S is of course an amazing car, but used or not I don't see how I could justify that price tag. If I had to buy an EV right now I'd probably go for the Bolt - same or better range as a base Model S for less than half the price. Next best option would be to hold on to the Rav until the Model 3's out.

I'm with Joe. Bolt for me. Not going to wait for a Model 3...expect to have 30,000 miles on the Bolt before I could have any chance of getting one. In 3 1/2 years I'll replace the Bolt with whatever is best then, which will not necessarily be a Tesla

Used Tesla too expensive to buy and maintain.

If you really want a Model S and the price is not a problem, then you have to decide what tech you want in it. Do you want Autopilot? Is the AP Hardware 1 system enough for you? Do you know the difference between that and Hardware 2? If you want AP HW 2, then you might as well wait for Model 3 because HW 2 cars are only up to 6 months old and the price is not that different from new. The rest of the options are pretty straight forward. In the Bay Area, dual motors is not a big deal and sunroof, upholstery, third row kid seats, etc. are pretty obvious. Air suspension? On a used car that will eventually be out of warranty, I would go coil suspension unless you have a driveway that requires extra clearance.

Back