Side Mirror is not a Step - note to the Deer population!

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n3ckf

So a deer that was in the process of running into my car, managed to bust off the side mirror while using it to *jump* my car. (which it did, cleanly, this is the only damage, i heard it hit the antenna going across the roof).

Pictures here including my "repair" using duct tape.

It looks like the bracket that holds the mirror on was damaged (or maybe its the flange that is bolted onto the mirror). The mirror actually works (the electric positioning works anyway) as long as i keep it attached to the arm. I cant *fold it* obviously like that).

Has anyone repaired one of these with parts? I'm pretty sure if i take it to the dealer they will just want to replace the whole thing.

As someone who has had both a) a deer take off his mirror and b) broken the Rav4 EV mirror, though not on the same vehicle, I feel your pain.
I had an MDX that a deer caved my fender and took off my mirror. That one required the auto body shop.

My Rav4 EV lost its drivers side mirror due to an unfortunate clip from a falling canoe. Long story.
Pertinent to this thread, the mirror bracket was broken (basically sheared vertically an inch from the door) but not the mirror lens or drive mechanism. In 2013 the dealer said "All one part, $500, and no I cannot have one because they are not available."
So I wound up getting some JB weld and fitting it back together. Has worked flawlessly for 4 years.

i will try a local dealer, i need to take the car in anyway.

However has anyone figured out if the non-special-order Rav4 mirrors from the same year will work?
I'm espeically interested if "regular" rav4 motorized mirrors fold like the EV ones do and if they're heated or not.
(if the difference is just that the mirror is lower profile = lower drag, i really dont care and would actually like more mirror space, ie. better visibility, more than i care about 3 miles of range...)

You could probably get both the side mirrors for a 2012 RAV4 Sport or Limited for the same price as one of the EV's. They're not that much bigger, the only question is the electrics like the mirror adjustment and the heating.

I just looked for you. 2012 RAV4 Sport side mirror assembly is $125 and the cover and signal lamp together are another $95.

OEM Part World - 2012 RAV4 Sport Outside Mirrors

Have you tried taking it to a body shop? They might have an easy fix? The mirror itself doesn't seem to be damaged. You might be able to remove those 2 screws and just replace the plastic part connects the mirror to the door. The expensive part is the mirror and it will have to be painted.

yeah that part might be common to multiple types of mirror.

If i had a diagram of the parts i could probably figure out which one it was.

it *almost* looks like you could 3dprint one.

Well i took it into Palo Alto Toyota today and the part *does* exist in the inventory. (and its $501.20 and special order).
Sigh. Well i'm going to get them to replace it (and keep the broken part). So if this ever happens again, i'll have most-of a spare, becuase the only part that was damaged was the bracket).

(Yes it would be cheaper to replace *both* mirrors with stock "normal" Rav4 mirrors and if it happens again, i suspect the part wont be in stock anymore and i'll have to...).

BTW there was exactly *1* (one) part in the United States (and for some reason, it was in Kentucky), but they're ordering it for me.

My left window was knocked off by a flying sheet of plywood that the car in front of me hit and sent airborne while driving down the freeway at 70mph. It cost me $500 to replace as well. I installed it myself and it was super tough because I think there are 3 mounting bolts and I could only see and easily access 2. I think I ended up having to pull apart some of the door paneling to install it. A dealer mechanic could do it in less than 30 minutes and it took me almost 2 hours.

Back