Driving to LA from Bay Area via I-5

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n3ckf

So, has anyone done this?

I just went to plugshare to plan a trip and i noticed that now it takes me to LA via I-5 and the "evrus" chargers (which i think are 25KW).
It looks like there's roughly enough of them to get here (although i havent checked the distances between them yet).

So has anyone done this in a Rav4EV w/JDEMO?

Last time i did this (last year) i did it via 101 and there's a "gap" in coverage at L3 only, so you have to L2 charge once during the trip.

Don't bother with I-5. That one L2 stop you need to bridge the 101 gap will be more than made up for by the full speed CHAdeMO chargers for the rest of the trip. Also, what if one of those 25kW EVRUS units is broken? What will you do then? Last I looked, some of the locations have no alternative charging nearby, not even a 14-50 plug.

itd be kind of cool if they put one of those chargers along 101. but... apparently not. So i bleieve i was stuck for about 2 hours at that stop last time. i'll have to look in my logs.

Grants have already been issued for "real" fast chargers to be installed on 101 and I-5. Hopefully they will be installed by the end of Summer 2017.

Back