"WIRRR" sound while in forward motion... is that the motor?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cashcow

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if the WIRRR sound is from the motor when the rav4 ev is in forward motion. Not the spaceship swoosh sound. I know that one comes from the driver side speaker in the hood. I ask because I think in reverse there is no WIRRR sound from the rav4 ev. If true... why WIRRR when forward only????

The artificial sound for pedestrian warning works in D and R. My drive unit only makes noise under gentle acceleration and low speed, low load conditions. One RAV I test drove had the drive unit noise in B mode regen also.

miimura said:
The artificial sound for pedestrian warning works in D and R. My drive unit only makes noise under gentle acceleration and low speed, low load conditions. One RAV I test drove had the drive unit noise in B mode regen also.

Hi Miimura!

Thank you for that. The pedestrian warning is the swooshing sound like a spaceship right? So is the WIRRRRR sound the motor itself? My unit makes that sound pretty consistently but it seems not so much in R. I did catch that it does do it in R but very lowly. When I floor it the drive unit makes a WOOOOOOOOOOOO sound! Sort of ish

DoctorTubaUF said:
Mine is making this exact noise. Does it need service?
If you can only hear it at low speed, they probably won't authorize it. When it gets loud enough that you can hear it over the wind and tire noise at freeway speed, they will probably swap it for a rebuilt one for you. You will need to be within the 60k powertrain warranty or the Platinum extended warranty.

Back