RWD Tesla installed in Volkswagen Type II Transporter DOKA

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cashcow

Hey guys,

http://evtv.me/2017/05/doka-tesla-model-s-brightly/

They got a motor unit from a Model S installed and working as a RWD set up in the 1990 Volkswagen Type II Transporter DOKA. They show a video with the full set up and how they adapted the motor along with how they working the cooling and cables. It is pretty interesting. Main thing that got me thinking is if we could use/learn from their set up and DO IT IN OUR RAV4 EV to get our RWD motor.

Here is also some discussion into what the EVTV guys are doing in tesla motors club https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/put-a-tesla-motor-in-any-car-or-truck-ever-made.44722/

anyway, thoughts?

Possible, with enough effort and money. I've been following the guys at EVTV for a while and they have done some interesting work. They learned quite a bit about the drive units and control systems.

A few hurdles to overcome...
- Body and chassis work to get the proper fit and mounting.
- Additional power to drive the second drive unit. The stock battery pack is maxed out at 125kW. The cells are rated at 3C max discharge, so you would need to supplement or replace the stock pack; or limit the power to both motors well below their capability, even more so than already.
- CAN/Tesla interface; you would have to hack or replace the OEM systems to control the extra drive unit.

Controlling more than one motor in the car is non-trivial. Elon Musk even said at yesterday's shareholder meeting that it was one reason that they're not offering AWD (dual motor) in the Model 3 until late this year or early next year.

ph2 said:
Possible, with enough effort and money. I've been following the guys at EVTV for a while and they have done some interesting work. They learned quite a bit about the drive units and control systems.

A few hurdles to overcome...
- Body and chassis work to get the proper fit and mounting.
- Additional power to drive the second drive unit. The stock battery pack is maxed out at 125kW. The cells are rated at 3C max discharge, so you would need to supplement or replace the stock pack; or limit the power to both motors well below their capability, even more so than already.
- CAN/Tesla interface; you would have to hack or replace the OEM systems to control the extra drive unit.

Good luck on the hacking that is probably the worst part about all of this. Would it not be possible to take a secondary rav4 ev's power train (battery, motor, & brain) and add it to our rav4 ev then control both units with the same accelerator pedal? I don't think they would be quite in sync, but wouldn't this be close enough? Don't think we'd need to link the brakes since these are only applied to the front wheels and the motor would be in the rear. You'd also have each pack directly feeding each motor separately which would be good enough to keep both motors happy?

I forgot to add: Parking Pawl on the RWD unit would be removed to obviously avoid any wacky problems.... If the RWD unit were to shut off it would just get towed along. I know toyota doesn't want us to tow but from what I've herd hear nothing bad happens to the unit if you do tow it since the gear box is bathed in gear oil.

You'd also get 2 j1772 inlets for charging... which I think some people here have wanted >.>...

Back