rear-ended 3 months before end of lease

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fromport

Happened this afternoon.
Someone in front of me signals he/she is turning right, basically leaves the lane while slowing down.
Finds out it is not an exit but a bus stop and comes back into my lane.
I have to brake, person behind me wasn't paying attention (phone ?)
My dashcam video doesn't look as violent, but I have a stiff shoulder/neck.

https://youtu.be/voCyXsY-7yc

The airbag of the other car deployed and radiator got so deformed that it started leaking.

Photos:
http://www2.dth.net/rav4ev/photos/rear-ended/

Gave the lady water, called the cops.
Even helped push the car around the corner after the police were done making a report.

I wanted to keep the rav4, lease ends 3 months from now. Am not so sure anymore.
My insurance company (AAA) wants me to go to a body shop they "know"
I am afraid it won't be done according to Toyota's satisfaction _if_ I decide to turn it in.
Is the best bet to get a quote from/through a toyota dealer ?
Any suggestions appreciated.

If you have transportation and time why not take it into the dealer first and get an estimate. If it was any other car I'd say go with what you know. In this case EV certified Toyota dealer.

co2112 said:
If you have transportation and time why not take it into the dealer first and get an estimate. If it was any other car I'd say go with what you know. In this case EV certified Toyota dealer.

I called my insurance (AAA) yesterday and toyota financial (lease company) today.
TF basically said: unless you have it repaired by an uncle who is handy with duct tape, it will not be a problem if you decide to turn the car in at the end of the lease and it was repaired by "reputable" body shop.
I went to the body shop this morning: their estimate: $3000-$3500
They are forced (by AAA) to buy used rear doors for example.
I went on my back and underneath and the space for the feet of the 3rd row bench is really deformed.
I told the guy from the body shop and he said "we can't do extended quote, we would have to remove stuff like the bumper, and it won't get on again and we legally can't let you drive without a bumper"
So when I got home pulled of some of the plastic (was going to fall off anyway at some point)
and took some pictures of the bended bottom.
Added the pictures to :
http://www2.dth.net/rav4ev/photos/rear-ended/

I was rear ended and I have AAA insurance. I had the car repaired at an independent AAA approved shop. They did great work. I was concerned about the paint bake, and getting the correct parts. I got in writing the bake temp which was below 140°F so not a concern for the battery, and I heavily stressed that they should consider parts are for a 2012 Rav4EV since thy may get the wrong parts if they order for a 2013 or 2014.

They did a great job and dis-assembled the car extensively to match the pearl white paint / transition the new to old. With the AAA shop any additional costs that arise after disassembly are a non-issue, but an outside shop or dealer needs to submit a new estimate for approval, etc.

Mine was not as bad as yours, yours is probably totaled with the floor pan damage. Mine was only rear door and bumper cover and it was still over $5200.

The damage to the tub behind the rear axle doesn't look like it will be that expensive to repair. Certainly cheaper than the rear quarter panels. They should be able to cut it out and put in a new one since it's not that structural. I disagree that this one looks like it should be totaled.

miimura said:
The damage to the tub behind the rear axle doesn't look like it will be that expensive to repair. Certainly cheaper than the rear quarter panels. They should be able to cut it out and put in a new one since it's not that structural. I disagree that this one looks like it should be totaled.

I agree with you it is not enough to be totalled.
But the real costs will be imo closer to $7000 than the original $3500.
I am also surprised how easy it was to get this compartment damaged.
The idea to put extra batteries in there for extended range suddenly doesn't look like a good idea to me

fromport said:
The idea to put extra batteries in there for extended range suddenly doesn't look like a good idea to me
I agree. If batteries are installed in that area, the structure protecting it should be studied and reinforced.

I would imagine that if you had a trailer hitch installed it would have partially mitigated the damage to the box, but may have transferred the force into the frame and caused more damage there. To protect batteries, that would be a fair trade-off.

miimura said:
fromport said:
I agree. If batteries are installed in that area, the structure protecting it should be studied and reinforced.

I would imagine that if you had a trailer hitch installed it would have partially mitigated the damage to the box, but may have transferred the force into the frame and caused more damage there. To protect batteries, that would be a fair trade-off.

I temp took my hitch off .
Don't know if I should be glad or not about that

miimura said:
fromport said:

Full size boattail would give you a nice crumple zone that could, well maybe, mitigate some damage depending on what the other person is doing as he crashes in to you. Just saying.

Anyway, I took my rav4 ev to the toyota collision center that was certified to work on the rav4 ev. They did great work and I felt safer with them since they should have more experience working with Toyota vehicles over all. I also got a new wiring harness. My accident had someone making an illegal u turn in front of me. Crushed the right head light. A crushed some pannels. Cut part of the wiring harness. Total for all the work was around 14k off the top of my head. Maybe more or less. I'd say if you an take it to a certified toyota collision center. The other guys insurance and mine said they wanted my rav4 ev to go to one of their trusted shops, but legally speaking you can take the car to any repair shop you want. If the other person was at fault and admitted fault then I'd say take it to a toyota certified collision repair shop....

True it in! There are deals right now that are downright shocking on lease returns. I got mine 5 days from end of warranty a month or 2 ago....11,700miles!!!! PERFECT condition, especially the battery 100% Tony Tested. $20.9k.
I see 2014s between 14k and 29k miles selling for 17k to 21k .....Be sure to Tony Test the battery!

miimura said:
fromport said:

Yes, obviously, the crumple zone needs to be reinforced. But, there's never a guarantee that a big enough hit doesn't do bad things to a battery.

Back