0 to 60 improvements through weight reduction?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cashcow

I checked my rav4 ev's 0 to 60 the other night and came out as about 8 seconds. Granted I had a passenger and also camping gear in the vehicle. Pretty sure it was an ok amount of weight. Combined weight for the passenger and myself was 330 lbs. About the gear that is a catch but I'd think perhaps about 150 to 200 lbs. Total weight? maybe about 500 lbs?

So I was messing around with numbers and did the following:

Rav4 Ev Stock Weight and 0 to 60 rated time:
4,032 lbs / 7 secs = 576 Lbs

That seems to be a little over 10% weight gain/reduction. 403.2 lbs is 10% of 4,032 lbs. Seems close to the amount of weight I think the rav4 ev is carrying and its new 0 to 60.

Would it be safe to say that about every 576 lbs pounds in weight reduction will increase the rav4 ev's 0 to 60 acceleration by about 1 second? I'm sure the effect is not linear, but thoughts?

Pike Peak's rav4 ev had a zero to 60 in 6.2 seconds. It got stripped then added a roll cage and other safety items. Roll cage weight seems to be about 100 lbs or so. Makes me wonder how much weight in total was removed from pikes peak rav4 ev?

576 Lbs is no small number, but when you remove all the seats, trims, and other extra things it must amount to a good number. Do you guys think Toyota has the data and is willing to share?

Here’s how the RAV4 EV was transformed into a racer: the electric powertrain in the RAV4 EV was untouched, delivering 154-hp and 273 lb.-ft. of torque. To make braking more consistent during the race, the regenerative braking feature was switched off, and a TRD Big Brake Kit was added. Michelin Pilot Sport tires were installed on TRD alloy wheels, and the RAV4 was lowered slightly and coil over shocks were installed to tighten up the handling. TRD also fitted full safety equipment such as a full roll cage, fire system, a NASCAR spec carbon seat and full 6 point harness. All this was achieved in under 2 weeks from receiving the stock vehicle.

Back