Considering Rav 4 EV.....have a few questions

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenn348

I'm looking into getting a used Rav4 EV, and I'm looking at all of the ins and outs. I understand it's a pretty good bargain next to a Tesla because it was a compliance car, and Toyota took an initial bath on them because they made more profitable gas guzzler models saleable in California and other CARB clone states.

So, my questions:
Has anybody actually swapped in the third row seat from the gasser? I'm planning on doing that come hell or high water, but wondered if I'd be the first to get it done so I could know what the drill is.

What kind of range are you getting with hypermiling and aero mods, if that's you?

What kind of charging speed can you get at an RV park with the 220v service?

For those who bought the CHAdeMO plug, how many miles of range is it adding in 30 minutes?

Is there any possibility of getting parts from a Tesla wreck or other sources to make it supercharge?

Anybody towing?

1) Has anybody actually swapped in the third row seat from the gasser?

It has been done, using all Toyota parts. There is also an aftermarket kit available. You'll have to go to a dealer or the junk yard to price it all out. There may be a bracket or two that needs to be welded in with the Toyota hardware.

2) What kind of range are you getting with hypermiling and aero mods, if that's you?

People have driven the car over 180 miles:

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=183

Realistic range can be found on the Range Chart:

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=251#p251

3) What kind of charging speed can you get at an RV park with the 220v service?

RV parks have two types of electrical service:

30 amp service @ 120 volts (TT-30 plug)
50 amp service @ 240 volts (NEMA 14-50 plug)

The 2012-2014 RAV4 EV is limited to "pull" a maximum of:

20 amps @ 120 volts
40 amps @ 240 volts

Therefore, using a JESLA charge cable that is both portable and capable of 120 and 240 volts, up to 40 amps, using the proper plugs, you will add electric energy to the battery at the following rates:

2.4kW = 120 volts * 20 amps (TT-30 plug - "30 amp RV service")
9.6kW = 240 volts * 40 amps (NEMA 14-50 plug - "50 amp RV service")

At an average consumption rate of 3 miles per kWh (about 70mph down the freeway), then you'll add:

8 miles added per hour charging = 2.4kW * 3 miles per kWh consumption
28 miles added per hour charging = 9.6kW * 3 miles per kWh consumption

4) For those who bought the CHAdeMO plug, how many miles of range is it adding in 30 minutes?

60 miles added using JdeMO.

Assuming that you're using a 125 amp charger (the ones that are normally referred to as "50kW"), then the average charge rate from 20% to 80% is about 42kW, or about 0.7kWh per minute.

At an average consumption rate of 3 miles per kWh (about 70mph down the freeway), then you'll add 2 miles per minute while charging (0.7kWh added per minute * 3 miles per kWh consumption = 2.1 miles added per minute of charging).

5) Is there any possibility of getting parts from a Tesla wreck or other sources to make it supercharge?

No. You can, however, use our JDapter Stub for charging at Tesla stations that are not Superchargers.

6) Anybody towing?

There's a thread on installing a trailer hitch:

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=152

Back