Prius has Parking Pawl Fuse. Does the Rav4 EV have one also?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cashcow

PARKING PAWL: and then you have to put the towed Prius into Neutral. Which of course is impossible to do unless you can get it to READY state (and if you can do that, why do you need to tow it?). Anyway, get into neutral, set the parking brake and then remove the fuse under the hood that powers the parking pawl. Its a 30 amp fuse that I think it is labeled PCON MOTOR. You will get the red-triangle of death and check-engine lights, but they will go away (eventually) when you replace the fuse.

If you can actually select Park, then the shift control ECU is probably operational. I would just double check the fuse under the hood that feeds the parking system (30A?). Simple things first. You might want to check the PCON-MTR relay as well. Pull it at make sure the relay is good.

Parking Pawl Stuck
Well, problem solved. Apparently in my hurry to check all of my fuses I missed one... Number 10 IGCT Fuse - 30amp. Tested each of them individually with a power probe and found that one to be blown, replaced it and all is fixed.

It is not possible to have the car in neutral unless it is IG-ON or Ready.

The only way you might be able to do this is to activate the parking pawl after you turn it off. From the service manual:

After receiving the signal, the transmission control ECU activates the shift control actuator in order to unlock the parking lock mechanism, and turns off the P position switch indicator light.

There is a trick that can be used in special circumstances, but it still requires power. To do it, you shift into N to disengage the parking pawl, then pull the fuse supplying power to the parking pawl. This prevents the pawl from engaging when you power down. I don't recommend using this technique on a regular basis.

http://www.techno-fandom.org/%7Ehobbit/cars/training/prius01.html

How to leave the car in Neutral

1st-gen has traditional lever/linkage
Oddly placed, but still PRNDB
Emergency park release under column

2nd-gen is more difficult
Electric pawl actuator, special 3-phase drive motor
Shift to N, then pull the PCON MTR relay
That disables Park, but the car gets unhappy
Do what the screen says: set emergency brake
... then you can at least shut down

Once restored, clear the error state DTCs

pcon.jpg

Ours being a Toyota product also makes me wonder if this fuse is present. So... does anyone know?

Well, actually I just checked the Toyota Owners Manual and I do see a few fuses listed here.

Type A Driver Side:

Page 389

# 11
P CNT-B
7.5 A
Parking control system

Page 390

P CNT-IGCT
7.5 A
Parking control system

---------------------------------------

Type B Passenger Side:

Page 391

P CNT MTR
30 A
Parking control system

http://www.myrav4ev.com/docs/RAV4EV_Owners_Manual.pdf

So, I would guess that the biggest fuse here, the 30A, is the one that supplies power to the Parking Pawl Motor? I'd guess it is a motor since it says MTR? Unless MTR means something else. P CNT is Parking Control?

I wonder what the other 7.5 A fuses control? Is it electronics? P CNT-B and P CNT-IGCT? The first is... Parking Control ... Back up? What does -B mean? The other is ... Parking Control Ignition Control? IGCT?

Also... alternative?

1. Install a 12V battery disconnect switch.
2. When you stop, turn the 12V battery switch to off.
3. Place the car in N.
4. Press the power button to turn off the car. In the absence of 12V power, the parking pawl will not engage.
5. Use the emergency key in the FOB to lock the door.

Upon return,

1. Unlock the door with emergency key.
2. Turn 12V switch to On.
3. Start the car (takes two pushes of the Power button)
4. Reset the power window (roll window half way down, then roll up window and hold button for two seconds)

Could be nice to have a 12v Disconnect for the rav4 ev. This could eliminate vampire drain 100%, right? Plus, theft deterrent? If you hide the switch and all. I think I've herd of this before.

This info seems good for people who might end up in turtle and the car is about to shut down, but are just a few feet away from the charging station. You could push the rav4 ev, I hope, and charge it?

Also, once you pull the fuse, are you still able to drive the rav4 ev with the error message on? Which error message would it? Take the RAV4 EV to the dealership asap?

I'll try it.

We had a "bricked" Tesla Roadster, and the only way to move the car way to physically crawl under the car and physically remove the parking pawl.

We elected to have it towed on dollies to the Tesla Service Center.

TonyWilliams said:
I'll try it.

We had a "bricked" Tesla Roadster, and the only way to move the car way to physically crawl under the car and physically remove the parking pawl.

We elected to have it towed on dollies to the Tesla Service Center.

Hi Tony!

One of the reasons why I posted this was also because I did recall you having to physically remove the Pawl from the Roadster. I was thinking on making a thread asking on the level of difficulty to remove the pawl, but I figured I could search and see if there was an alternative option. This seems like a good option for people who can't physically remove the parking pawl. I'd also think this would be pretty useful when getting your rav4 ev towed if you can pull the fuse before the system goes completely off. The rav4 ev can just get towed right up with out the wheels locking. That or maybe the 12v shut off switch installed. Also if you are running the battery to the ground testing range you could go all the way and not have to worry about the wheels locking in the end due to low battery power. Then of course get towed right up no problem :).

Let us know what you find out with the tinkering :).

I blew the fuse for the vanity lights 7.5A and while looki ng around the fuse box I pulled the

Page 389

# 11
P CNT-B
7.5 A
Parking control system

Fuse and switched it to the vanity lights slot. Got the vanity lights back and an error message saying " P Lock Malfunction Park in a Flat Area and apply the parking brake." but you can still turn on the car,drive, and the parking pawl works no problem. What isn't working is the little green light in the P button that lights when you park and push it. So I guess -B means BLINKER???

Then I came here and read my thread and pulled the

Type B Passenger Side:

Page 391

P CNT MTR
30 A
Parking control system

And now the parking pawl did not work. Thing is you could not get the Rav4 EV into DRIVE either. POwer light stays amber and doesn't turn when when you press the brake. The car just turns off after the second push. However, if you have the car on then pull the 30A fuse you can keep driving the car, but when you stop and press P the Parking pawl doesn't engage and the rav4 ev can roll like in neutral. If you then turn it off then try to turn it back on you won't be able to get it into drive.

So if for whatever reason you blow the 30A fuse you'll be ok for as long as you don't turn the car off. After that you won't be able to get it into drive either.

This seems like a nice trick for people running on turtle and low on their RAV4 EV traction battery but are very close to getting to the ev charger if they want to push their rav4 ev the rest of the way as it nears total emptiness you'll have to pull the 30A fuse while the rav4ev is still on then keep driving till it shuts off. Then it will roll and you can pull to the side and push it the rest of the way if you are very very close by. I recall reading that someone was really close to the ev charger, but were already in turtle and failed to make it because the car stopped and the car locked the parking pawl in.

As for the last fuse "P CNT-IGCT" I'm unsure what it does since I did not test it. Parking control ignition control????

Back