Charger failure: Toyota puts the WAR in Warranty

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 340

I woke up Monday July 31 to find a charging interrupted email notification from Entune. I tried charging my 2013 RAV4EV immediately and no luck - the relays in my EVSE made some clicking noises and the charging stopped after about 10 seconds. Same symptoms with 3 different EVSE.

I have a JdeMO on my car - call me a criminal if you like. I spoke with Toyota Palo Alto on the phone that day and they were happy to overlook that transgression: "You have a JdeMO? No problem! We're happy to do the diagnosis and warranty work, just pay us for an hour's labor to cover its partial removal and installation." They diagnosed it quickly a few days later and found that the charger had the usual CHG_f078 "Charger internal problem detected" alert on the Tesla side. Standard code for charger failures as reported by astroev and others on the forum. My car is a bit over 4 years old with under 25,000 mi - the 5 yr / 60K mi drivetrain warranty is in effect.

PA Toyota calls me with the news. Then the service advisor tells me that Toyota (TAS) will not authorize a warranty replacement until the JdeMO is totally removed. Not electrically disconnected, totally removed. This stumps Toyota PA - they have done numerous warranty repairs wit JdeMOs and never ran into this before.

I call Toyota and establish a case. Thorn is assigned as my case manager and he calls me back. He agrees that this is not rational and says he will look into it. Interestingly, he asks if the I am still making payments on the car. I say YES and tell him that I may not continue if they do not authorize a warranty repair. After about 2 weeks he calls me back and says that he, TAS, and the dealer have discussed the issue and the JdeMO must be removed. He acknowledges that this is not tied to any sort of rational analysis: there is no fault tree or failure analysis that shows that the JdeMO could produce this error code, especially if it is electrically disconnected from the car (my suggestion and request). He does tell me that the reason for this decision is that page XXX of the owners manual says that the warranty is not valid if third party products are installed on the car.

I ask Tony W to remove the JdeMO and I am happy that he can do so in fairly short order at a very reasonable price. After removal, I take the car back to Toyota PA and they are able to do the replacement in only about 3 days - Tesla must have had one in stock.

I have my car back now and am looking forward to having the JdeMO reinstalled. I am happy to have this behind me, but I may not have been so fortunate if there was a more complex problem and the car did not return the failed charger error code; I can see Toyota wanting to blame a more complex problem on the JdeMO even if there was no way it could be responsible. Other folks may want to consider having their JdeMOs removed before taking their cars in for any more complex warranty issues.

davewill said:
Does the warranty book actually say that? Sounds ripe for a small claims suit for the cost of removal and reinstallation.

There are all sorts of weasel words on p. 14 (p. 16 of the pdf file) of the 2012 RAV4EV Warranty * Maintenance Guide under "What is Not Covered:"
- Alteration or tampering, including installation of non-Genuine Toyota Accessories
- Installation of non-Genuine Toyota Parts
- Use of incompatible charging device

There is also the note that "CA residents must follow the California Dispute Settlement Program before seeking remedies through a court action pursuant to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act." I'm sure that this is stacked for Toyota, as experienced by Tony W and others on the forum.

Very strange. I have had my heater replaced and my motor drive system (because of noise) under warranty with the JdeMO installed, both mechanically and electrically, without any issues. Neither the dealer (Austin Toyota AutoNation), nor the roaming technician from Houston that performed the work had any problem with it. Perhaps they never even noticed or informed Toyota (and Thorn) about it, but everything went fine for me, thankfully.

The dealer said that they always inform Toyota if there is a JdeMO on the car when doing warranty diagnostics, and they documented my car the same way they did all others with JdeMOs. The dealer also reported that this was the first time that Toyota required JdeMO removal for any warranty work in their experience.

I asked Thorn if Toyota took this stance because of a change in policy. He replied that there was no policy change, and Toyota sometimes authorizes warranty work on cars with 3rd party equipment on a case-by-case basis. I took that with many grains of salt.

Who knows why they did this - perhaps they are tired of the warranty costs, maybe Toyota decided to stick to their official policy more closely, or there is a new hard a$$ handling warranty issues for the NorCal region.

Talking to Thorn was particularly useless. He claimed to have little or no idea of what a JdeMO is but clung pretty tenaciously to the idea that it is a charger (instead of a port for an external charger).He first reported that Toyota service (TAS) did not authorize warranty work because the charging function of the JdeMO could be interfering with the car's internal charger but dropped that argument in favor of the legal one (re. 3rd party equipment) once pressed with the facts (presence of the Tesla error code etc.).

tgreene said:
- Alteration or tampering, including installation of non-Genuine Toyota Accessories
- Installation of non-Genuine Toyota Parts
- Use of incompatible charging device
Carson Toyota pulled the first two out when I had installed a larger aftermarket 12 volt battery.
(Bosch AGM group 24)

Would not look at my car until a new genuine Toyota battery was in to the tune of $200 and change.
Never even found the issue... Irvine Toyota after several flatbeds finally replaced the gateway computer and all is good.
Carson still owes me that $200 back before I will say anything nice.

ALL dealers have asked what EVSE I charge with trying to say only Leviton 40 amp is compatible :roll:

Insane, all of it. When I trade my RAV it will be for terrible dealer support more than anything else.
Anybody wonder why Tesla is so popular?

smkettner said:
Insane, all of it. When I trade my RAV it will be for terrible dealer support more than anything else.
It's not that Tesla cars are problem-free, because they're not. Not even close. It's the fact that Tesla owns the problem and fixes it with as little hassle to the owner as possible.

miimura said:
smkettner said:
It's not that Tesla cars are problem-free, because they're not. Not even close. It's the fact that Tesla owns the problem and fixes it with as little hassle to the owner as possible.

That really is the single largest bane of our cars. It is compounded by the dealers and Toyota itself having so little expertise and interest in the RAV4EV and its technology. It is electric and 'not invented here' and the first inclination of many dealers and Toyota USA is to blame complex problems on the owners or otherwise shirk any responsibility. This has made me realize how important it is to support the few dealers who have maintained or invested in expertise (good techs) and have actually shown some interest in helping us. I do count Toyota Palo Alto in this category.

I love the RAV4 EV, but I would not buy another Toyota vehicle for the rest of my life lol. Loved my Nissan Leaf also and would buy another.

How much in total did you have to spend before you vehicle was fully functional again? Including all Jdemo install / removal fees and the diagnostics and other out of pocket expenses?

smkettner said:
When I trade my RAV it will be for terrible dealer support more than anything else.

That is *exactly* why I am returning my vin 3533 tomorrow to the dealer.
I would have gladly kept it, but I am sick and tired of fighting the dealership(s) and the Toyota organisation in general.
Even with a 10 year extended platinum warranty in place, you will have to go through special procedures when you have anything installed above standard (my volt/amp meter, JDemo ) .
I am so sick an tired of it, that I will get a BOLT next month.
I will miss the space/room. the universal use of the car: 5 persons, pulling a small trailer etc.

This was my first and only Toyota.
Learned a lot, liked it a lot, but no more.

fromport said:
smkettner said:
When I trade my RAV it will be for terrible dealer support more than anything else.

I would have gladly kept it, but I am sick and tired of fighting the dealership(s) and the Toyota organisation in general.
Even with a 10 year extended platinum warranty in place, you will have to go through special procedures when you have anything installed above standard (my volt/amp meter, JDemo ) .
I will miss the space/room. the universal use of the car: 5 persons, pulling a small trailer etc.

You could also wait a few months more and consider the new Nissan Leaf. It is also a hatch back and it is a little bigger than the previous nissan leaf from what I have herd. Range is said to be 150 miles but it could get more like the bolt when it is tested you never know.

cashcow said:
You could also wait a few months more and consider the new Nissan Leaf. It is also a hatch back and it is a little bigger than the previous nissan leaf from what I have herd. Range is said to be 150 miles but it could get more like the bolt when it is tested you never know.

From my home to LAX is about 90 miles.
Several times per year I have to get/bring people over.
Perfectly doable with the rav4e/chademo combination, but I always end up charging after I drop people off, or just before they land.
I think it would be so nice to go up and down on one charge and don't have to worry about cooling/heating.
The new leaf probably wouldn't make it, even with hypermiling ;-)

I took a drive in the bolt and was surprised how it drove.
I do think the seat(s) has an issue. and taking stuff with you in the rear will be different.
I moved (small) beehives and complete solar panels in the back on the rav4ev, the latter is not going to work out in the bolt

Wonder what the EV world looks like in 3 years.
Had 2 rav4ev's . between the 2 almost 59k driven in 3 years.
Compared to the 2011 leaf it was giant step forwards. I will always keep a soft spot for rav4ev.
My first rav4ev is now with a friend who had to take it to the dealer because while driving, the display would "reboot".
After a few complaints, the toyota dealer decided to replace a "tesla computer"
He has been driving a camry now for 3 weeks and he called the dealer today and they expect it is going to take another 2-3 weeks before the part arrives. I don't think it is Toyota "worthy" how rav4ev's customers are treated. Somebody really screwed up the support contracts between toyota/tesla and the customer has to "pay" for it. Not how it should have been imo.
Anyway, i will stop rambling

cashcow said:
fromport said:
smkettner said:

The new LEAF is no larger than the old LEAF. It's the same basic body, doors, glass, etc.

The LEAF is not even close in size to the RAV4 (I have owned 3 Rav4 EVs, and 3 LEAFs).

I read a review on the leaf and someone said the bolt doesn't have 'auto pilot' which might be something to consider. The leaf will come out with pro pilot which is basically 'auto pilot' and that could be something nice if you drive in the FWY. I also read that the interior of the leaf is going to get a redesign, so it might en up having a slight extra amount of cargo storage space in there :). I know that in the old leaf the humps on the side near the wheels are for the most part empty based on some stripped pictures I saw of the leaf. That was a shame since you could clearly use that extra storage space. I also liked the nissan's around view monitor it is quite amazing! I still think it would be a good idea to wait till the new leaf gets tested for the 'real world range' you never know what actual range it could have. I feel that it will have more than 150 miles otherwise nissan will really have screwed themselves up.

Just like the 84 mile LEAF, and 107 mile LEAF, the 150 mile LEAF will absolutely get 150 miles of range when the battery is warm, and in new (not degraded) condition, with the following provisions:

60 to 65mph steady speed on level ground, with a hard surface roadway, no headwind, warm temperatures, no cabin heater use.

cashcow said:
fromport said:
smkettner said:

Please let me know if you have JDeMo unit for sale

Back