lease returns SCRAPPED ? could this be true ?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fromport

I turned in my rav4ev today.
I got rear ended 2 months ago and the body shop took a while (even though I told them to get 2012 rav4 parts, they neglected my advise and ordered 2014 rav4 parts which had to be returned of course)
Yesterday I picked up my rav4ev, today turned it in at the dealer ship.
According to the EV technician, they had 6 ! rav4ev's on their rooftop parking lot, waiting for a special transport.
I said "for auction, right ?"
He answered "no, to be scrapped"
He basically told me they will take all the tesla parts of it, to be able to service the remaining rav4ev's, including the extended warranty units.
Tesla was basically refusing to supply parts in a timely manner and toyota changed to harvesting returns of ends-of-lease.

My jaw was on the floor when i heard that.
Could this be true ?

smkettner said:
Business as usual. The sooner this experiment is unwound, the better for Toyota.

This was not an experiment for Toyota. It was a calculated interim decision to get enough CARB-ZEV points for Model years 2012 through 2014 to get them to their hydrogen car.

It did exactly as planned, as is no longer needed.

Makes sense to me. Every one of these cars that is on the road is a potential parts and service headache to Toyota.

Haha...Think of all the EV fans who hate GM and promise never to buy another GM car due to the scrappage of the the EV1s fifteen years ago. I wonder if they will equally shun Toyota?

That's cold Toyota. I already said I'm not buying another Toyota ever again and this just makes my resolve stronger. Love the RAV4 EV it's just sad seeing the way Toyota is handling everything. Hope they get left way behind in the EV arms race and eventually fade. Now we need a 'who killed the electric rav4?' documentary :O!

I guess that this is going to have some degree of impact on finding parts at the scrap yard for the rav4 ev? Less on the market too. I wonder just how many rav4 ev's are left out in the world? They only made 2600... Could we be nearing 1500's? I guess this will also hamper tesla's ability to harvest data from our rav4 ev's since they like to ping us daily?

BTW which Toyota dealer did you return your rav4 ev to?

Toyota may be having problems sourcing parts more than just the Tesla bits. I've heard of a couple people having problems that require replacing the NAV head unit. Is that system common with other cars? Maybe some Lexus model? If not, I bet it's cheaper and easier for Toyota to buy a few lease returns for the unique parts necessary for the warranty repairs. Having more drive units in circulation for rebuilding wouldn't hurt either. Toyota may even take that in-house instead of leaving it to Tesla now that a permanent fix is available.

My 2014 Rav4 EV lease is end at end of Nov. 2017. I'm going to return it back. There are some scratches/minor dents in the back and chips on windshield. Do I need to repair it before returning even if they will scrap it?

Lease is from Berkeley Toyota. I live at San Jose area. Can I return it to a closer south bay Toyota dealer? Which one is preferred? Thanks.

They will happily charge you for damage, then scrap the car. The two actions are entirely separate, I'm afraid. Use the guide to figure out if you're likely to get charged.

https://www.toyotafinancial.com/pub/static/lease_end/assets/TFS%20LeaseEnd%20BookletNational2_2015_FA.PDF

Back