Replace battery coolant

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ggodman

I searched quite a while but did not find if anyone posted on Replace battery coolant at 40K a DIY guide, if you need the "XG-1987 Mini VCI Car OBD Diagnostic Scanner OBD2 USB Interface Scan Tool for TOYOTA TIS Techstream Diagnostic Cable & Software" product to do so, can anyone chime in on what is required? I just can't see paying 600 to 800 to change out some fluids.

Thanks.

I looked into this a while back and the information on it all is very slim. I believe the flushing/reflling procedure is pretty standard however, there appears to be some sort of electrically powered valve within the battery pack that must be opened through the obd port in order to fully flush the system of the coolant.

The actual information and procedure for that is not out there as far as I searched. Of course it is available if you pay toyota for online access to the rav4 ev digital manual since they are not releasing any sort of paper manual for our car :(.

So all in all yes you need the tool to open that valve inside the battery bank to fully empty/flush the system of the coolant.

I was in an accident and the system was flushed for me while the car was in the shop so I don't have to worry about it anymore. My car had about 40k miles at the time. now its at about 44k. 2nd owner.

I'd think that tony williams might have more info on it since I believe he has accessed the manulal online @ toyota website. Though I have never seen tony speak of any specific details on the work so he might actually not know/never looked into that specific part of the work.

sorry!

I've never flushed the coolant. I've advocated getting the correct "PH paper" to test your coolant, which prevents unneeded and wasteful flushing and replacement:

http://www.run-rite.com/pro/products/cooling-systems/diagnostics-en-2/accustrip-coolant-test-strips.html

Considering the relatively low temperature I keep thinking it should be good for a decade.

Curious if you ever figured out how to change this yourself? I have a RAV4 exported from the country I am going to have to do this myself soon.

I wish someone would do a DIY vid on how to do this plus the tool :). I got mine changed after an accident, not my fault, and it saved me some good money. I got lucky I guess! Iw as very close to 40k miles

I am needing to do a flush/ refill my battery coolant. I ripped the lower coolant hose and drained it. Apparently, you cannot do a flush yourself?!

So, thinking out side of the box. If having to turn on the battery pump is the problem could one not just plug in the 120volt charger to get the pump turned on? Slit the line with a couple T's for future easy flushes? Am I out to lunch! Or could this work? One line would suck new fluid, and the other, obviously would discharge old fluid and air in the system?

Any conversation would be awesome. I am in canada and not about to get a coolant flush far away!

Thanks all!

I believe that you need the scan tool to get all the coolant out of the battery because there appears to be a sort of valve that keeps the coolant in the battery and you use the coolant to open it and flush all the coolant out. I am not entirely sure but I did read something like that before. I think Tony has access to the rav4 ev repair manuals so he would know for sure. Tony does it state something like this? Or can you just unplug the line, flush, and be done?

TonyWilliams said:
I've never flushed the coolant. I've advocated getting the correct "PH paper" to test your coolant, which prevents unneeded and wasteful flushing and replacement:

http://www.run-rite.com/pro/products/cooling-systems/diagnostics-en-2/accustrip-coolant-test-strips.html

Hi Tony,
I bought these strips, but have never used them before.
Any tips on what to do or not to do?

Is it as easy as open the cap for the coolant, dip the strip, pull it out, wait a few minutes, compare the color to the table on the side of the bottle?
What's considered good vs bad?

KurtManz said:
TonyWilliams said:

Hi Tony,
I bought these strips, but have never used them before.
Any tips on what to do or not to do?

Is it as easy as open the cap for the coolant, dip the strip, pull it out, wait a few minutes, compare the color to the table on the side of the bottle?
What's considered good vs bad?

I have also used the pH strips, and they are pretty easy to use as you describe.

That said, I do worry that they may not test a parameter that is important for electric cars (but not oil burners): I'd think that you'd want the coolant to be low conductivity. That said, you'd think that high alkalinity (high pH) would correlate with high conductivity. High acidity / low alkalinity tests 'bad' on those strips.

I dipped the strips.

Results are: 2014 tested august 2018, about 38K miles on it.

Both blues came out with fp/bp at max... I suspect whatever consumes glycol doesn't exist in the EV?
Both blues came out with reserve alkalinity of 6.6 = OK

the Pink came out with fp/bp at max, but with reserve alkalinity of 3.2 and Ph of 9. it's within the "ok" bar but it's starting to become basic.

Does anybody else have any tests or results on theirs? It'd be good to see what is 'normal' for other drivers and spot when something starts to go abnormal.

Image here:
https://imgur.com/a/QgKh4MM
bB84wxg.jpg

ggodman said:
Found this for link http://www.evnut.com/rav_coolant.htm for anyone looking

You got me excited with this, then I realized this is for the earlier EV model (1997-2003) not our 2012-2014 models.

I'm scheduled to take mine to Toyota of El Cajon (TEC) today. $310 labor for the main batter coolant change. I picked up the coolant earlier for $27 per gallon (50/50 diluted) from Toyota online. I was surprised there were different prices depending on what dealer you purchase from. I purchased from and picked mine up at TEC to save shipping charges. They charge $35 per gallon with the service, so I'm glad I bought mine in advance.

Back