Playing MP3 files from USB port.....

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EnerGene

I've tried in the past to get this to work. I heard some here that do play from the USB and I had a thread about it a while back but can't find it.

So here's my questions for those who have it working....

What is the capacity of your USB stick and what brand?
What is the USB stick formatted as? FAT, FAT32, ext2, ext3, ext4, NTFS?
Are all the music files at the root of the drive?
The .mp3 file, what is the bitrate? 320k, 256k?, 192k?, 128k?

Thanks

I play a lot of audiobooks.

Mostly I use a 16GB stick , sometimes a 4GB.
Must be FAT32.

Sometimes the books are in the root but other times, I might have two books and then the files are in their own folders below the root.

MP3s are 128 or 192, I think.

Any special characters in the names like....

(
)
[
]
{
}
_
-
+
"
`

I just went and bought a small 16GB stick Sandisk and it's formatted FAT. I'll try it out in a bit after I drop a few mp3 files on it. The mp3 files are 128k bit rate with no special characters in the names other than the dot/period in .mp3.

some may have had underscore and a space. i don't think i have had issues with naming.

Mac files that start with a period (.) are supposed to be hidden but Toyota treats them as normal.

OK, the new USB stick works and now sees and plays my mp3 files. The mp3 bit rate is 128k and the USB stick is formatted as FAT.

Now the order in which it lists them is definitely NOT in alphabetic order rather in the order of how your computer writes them in block order.

The fix is to copy the files one by one in alpha order. Then the player in the car will list them in that (alpha) order.

Thanks

Back