Toyota RAV4 EV Focus Group

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sobayimage

I just attended an extremely enlightening focus group in Los Angeles which was paid for by Toyota who wanted to know what the group liked, disliked or would change about the RAV4 EV. Principally they wanted to know what motivated us to buy the car. The eight people in my group were all very bright and informed and varied in age and gender with backgrounds in science, engineering and the arts that just amazed me. The research group running the event were highly competent and didn’t lead the group in any particular direction or to any programmed conclusion. There were specific questions about what software apps we would like to see changed or made available. The conversation ranged from why no leather seats, to the placement of the car’s charger plug, to having to wait weeks for delivery. All were enthusiastic about driving the RAV4 EV though some were having charging glitches. Near the end of the 2 hour session something occurred from out of the blue. Toyota’s treatment of pricing came forward. All had paid full price and they saw for a time Toyota was suddenly discounting the car by thousands of dollars. Most felt this was unfair and one person said he would never buy another Toyota because of it. The bad feeling toward Toyota appeared universal. No one could quite understand why Toyota had not produced any advertising to attempt to sell this electric car. All found out about the RAV4 EV by their own devices and not through any motivation from Toyota‘s advertising. One person said a dealer salesman even attempted to steer him away from even buying the RAV4 EV.

The sentiments about how "unfair" the subsequent price reductions was RIGHT ON! A very high price was paid to be an early adopter of this car. To make amends, Toyota should re-rate all the TFS loans entered into by all RAV4 EV purchasers prior to December 2012, down to 0% APR. The APR was 1.9% when I purchased my RAV4 EV in November. I definitely asked about applying for 0% at the time, because the standard RAV4 had it, but the RAV4 EV did not; at least not then!

TOTALLY UNFAIR! :cry:

Not to be all insensitive, but life's just not fair. Anyone who buys a brand new, untested product at full price is purchasing for the bragging rights, for having the latest cool thing, and for the status. Unless it's an Apple computer, the price on everything will eventually come down once the initial demand is met.

That having been said, if Toyota had a clue about how to sell this vehicle, the price wouldn't have had to come down as far as it did (if at all). I have personally steered three people to the RAV4 EV who had been considering the Nissan Leaf. The score for my referrals? Toyota: 3, Nissan: 0.

Why anyone who's looking for an EV would miss a test drive in the RAV4 EV is beyond me... oh, except that no one knows it exists!

I woud like to add to Blastphemy's comments. Again, not to be insensitive....but

IF the price had gone up, how many of you would be complaining? :)

I also installed solar PV system in 2002, and the price has dropped a lot and the performance has improved. (Kinda like Apple computers...but I digress.)

So yes I could complain - but I think the larger point is what we are all trying to do to help save the planet.

Back on topic. I was in the same focus group as sobayimage and then was selected for a more in depth interview the next day. In attendance was the original moderator, a cameraman, and 3 guys from the Toyota Technical Center in Michigan. I learned a lot about the car from the technical guys and really enjoyed the discussion.

Even though I don't use the timer I told them it was the most important issue.

My chance to "speak" is coming up in less than two weeks on March 19. I plan to focus on list of improvements for the current (2nd generation) of Rav4EV as well as a list of what I would like to see in the future Rav4EV (3rd generation).

However, I do agree, that Toyota has created an unfair situation for Rav4EV buyers who experienced price differences even within a month of purchase.

Very refreshing to hear that Toyota's listening.

It really is too bad for the early adopters, given how juicy the incentives have become now. If I paid full price, I too would be pissed.

Back