Navigation Screen is Dead -Cost to Replace $5,820 DISCOUNTED

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cashcow

I was driving down the freeway and the nav screen died. Doesnt turn on i hope the ext warranty covers this. Its the platinum one. How much does the screen cost? They just changed the front left axle too. Took 6hrs and 2 days. Its was clicking.

-updated-

Toyota tech says the whole unit need to be changed. It's just the screen, but the part to replace IS the whole unit. So if your screen dies and you go to the dealership they will have to change the whole unit. Price? $5,820 USD tech said that is the approved amount to replace and added that it is DISCOUNTED since the ext warranty is paying for it. If I was the one paying it he said It would be more and estimated it to be around $7,000 USD.

Well, I guess the ext warranty platinum already paid for itself. Cost me way less than that. Like a fraction of the cost! 8 yr / 125K - $1505.00 2nd owner.

This is after they replaced the Front Left Axle which he estimated that it might have been around 1k. He could not get an exact figure since it had already been done a week ago.

-Another Update-

They sent me home with the RAV4 EV and it still has the old nav unit. Here is the crazy thing. Someone pressed the radio button and now, since I can't turn it off, everytime I turn on the rav4 ev the radio comes on. There are only two ways I know how to kill it so it doesn't turn back on when you turn the rav4 ev on. 1 Using the nav screen to manually turn it off or 2.- Press the home button on the nav unit so it auto turns off.

Since the screen is dead I went ahead and used the nav home button... and it worked! Now the radio doesn't turn on every time I turn the rav4 ev on. So it seems the nav unit fully works except for the screen, but the whole thing requires replacement anyway.

The dealer only changes assemblies. Good thing you have a warranty or it would cost thousands.

Be sure to check the fuses first though.

Wait, wait, wait... if it is covered by the warranty then why do I have to check the fuses and the grounding and the connector in the back? If its any of these three items will it not be covered by the ext warranty? Is that why I should check? Where are the connectors in the back? Is that in the back of the screen? Or under the arm rest? I noticed some, what look like, hard drives under the arm rest box. I did pop off the prius shifter cover and noticed, what looks like, another HD but this one under the cup holders.

I don't think it could be the fuse because the nav screen died while I was driving on the freeway and I had an address already punched in. The screen went back, but the voice prompts still continued all the way for the rest of the 30 minute drive. It was a little weird because I had to pay more attention to the signs since the screen was dead. The voice promps still worked. Is the fuse of the screen different from the fuse of the nav voice prompt system?

How much does the screen cost? You say thousands?!?! This is also for the regular gasser version of the rav4 2012? Or did we get a special screen?

If you can re-seat a connector on the back of the head unit, you can save yourself a trip to the dealer. That is the only reason to look at it yourself if you have the Extended Warranty.

The screen and head unit in the RAV4 EV is not available in any other RAV4 model. The hardware may be similar to or the same as in a Lexus model.

I popped out the two plastic trims on the side of the nav screen display, but I can't seem to pop out the nav screen. I see four? hex bolts holding a metallic bracket that seems to be connected to the screen. Do I need to remove these to pop out the screen? Also, the air vents on top... do these pop out separately or with the nav screen?

Also I was trying to use the 'talk switch' to enter and address and see if I can get some voice prompt directions with out using the nav touch screen. I can't seem to get it to send me to my destination. Do you have to press a go button on the nav screen after you use the talk switch to verbally enter the city, street name, and address of your destination?

lol this is nuts !

Have you checked the fuses like Glenn suggested?

As was mentioned, its much better to solve it yourself if its a quick and easy fix like a fuse.

To answer your last question though, if you were going to check the connection on the back of the display, yes you would need to unscrew those screws to pull the display out. I wouldnt think that is the problem but its possible.

Id check ALL fuses first.

I'm looking at the rav4 ev manual and looking at all the fuses listed for navigation. There is only one entry:

Fuse block (under side view)

ECU-IG1 1

10 A

Electronically controlled brake sys-
tem, tire pressure warning system,
air conditioning system, main body
ECU, anti-glare inside rear view
mirror, Vehicle Proximity Notifica-
tion System, navigation system

That is the only entry I see for Navigation system. I do not think it is the fuse (If that is indeed the fuse for the navigation screen) because my air conditioning system is working fine and the anti-glare inside rear view mirror turns on (Green Square) and it also shines a light from its underside.

Aside from this fuse I wouldn't know which fuses to check to be hones.t I know I know you mentioned to just check all of them. I don't have the tools unfortunately so I'd have to pop them out or do it during bright sun shine (Night time right now). I think the biggest one that will be a pain in the ass is the underside fuse block on the driver side in the cabin.

Any possible suggestions on which fuse it would be if it is the Fuse block (under side view)? Could save me a cracked back and busted knees :D I know because a few months ago I blew the fuse for the power outlets. The one in the back and another that I think controlled two and getting to those fuses down under is a pain! Happened on separate occasions too.

I have a digital multimeter. They aren’t too expensive. I’d test for continuity on each fuse.

But you’d have to get a multimeter and that doesn’t help right now.

Ok then no problem. I am going to take the rav4 ev in today see what the problem is. The screen hasn't fixed itself yet, so let's see what the tech say. They had changed the front left axle because it was clicking so they shouldn't be charging any inspection fee. Not like they did before since everything was covered under warranty. Still no news on the cost to replace the screen?

-update-

Got a voice mail. It looks like they are saying that the problem is with the whole unit itself and not the connections. They called the ext warranty and got approval to change the whole unit. The part takes about a week to get here, so I guess that will be the wait time. I'll see if I can recall to ask for the price of the whole thing so we can get an estimate on how much it would have cost me. brand new nav unit hurray!

jimbo69ny said:
I wonder if you will get updated maps.

Good question. I think I had, like, two occasions where I noticed the maps where out of date. I never checked the map versions, so who knows what the heck I had. Once the new unit is in i'll check map version so you guys can compare. Hopefully that doesn't need any special tools... because I got none :D.

As for the old unit I guess they will send it home, rebuild it, then have it ready for someone else?

The Navigation unit was installed. I'm looking at the info and it says

Navigation vb503200
blue tooth 21.210
and the other entry is empty.

The tech also confirmed that the front axle replacement was likely at about 1,000 but doesn't remember the exact figure. Oh, it looks like all my addresses and saved settings are gone. So I guess the info is actually saved int the unit and not just on to an external HD like I thought it was. Gotta put it all back in.

I also spoke to the tech about the issue with my driver side heating auto turning on when the shown temp hits 55 or less and he said it could be hardware related. which is weird because it only turns on when the temp shown on the car hits 55 or less. It's not on all the time. I just left that for the next visit.

Oh there is also something called

gracenote database update and this is version 05574[2013-05-1]

Not sure what that is. Any ideas?

Also the xm radio and map for traffic updates and such seem to be working. my old unit had run out of the trial or whatever it came with, but this one seems to have a new trial with it. Not sure how long it is going to last, but sure is nice.

Oh looking here there is a map data page:

Map Version: 21-13-17 [2013-06-1]
Map Update ID: 1102-7528-0000-3814
US

Does this mean this is an updated map?

I have the same problem!!! Nav screen died while driving. Dealer told me cost to replace is 5,800. I do NOT have an extended warranty. the car is 3 1/2 years old so out of warranty on time in warranty on miles (35,000 miles). They won't cover it but offered to cover a percentage. Still $3,000 to replace the part. The radio works, its just the screen. THEN dealer calls me yesterday to reschedule the appointment because they don't have the part in, he tells me the parts are "Refurbished" but he may have an option for a new unit at a "comparable" price. I am furious, $5,800 for a refurbished part that no one told me was refurbished? Does that mean they can take my unit out as well, refurbish it and resell it to another EV owner for 5,800????? This feels very deceptive. I have not talked to the dealer yet, left a message, but I will ask him about a warranty on the part. Are there any other options than going to the dealer for this fix? What if they really can fix it and they are just telling me to replace the whole unit knowing full well I would never be able to find someone to fix it????? Help and suggestions much appreciated before I spend 3,000 dollars on a 4 year old car.

My advice would be to try to fix it yourself first. The most likely component failure is the touchscreen, and you can find replacements on eBay.

You would have to first remove the unit, and then disassemble it until you can pull out the screen. Once out, you might be lucky and find a part number on the backside, else you would have to buy the Toyota/Lexus touchscreen which matches in size and appearance.

Sorry to hear about your issues with the unit. It would come down to how technical you are to replace the unit yourself. If you can do it yourself it would be cheaper. You could try finding a unit online on ebay like they said. Another option would be a junk yard, but you'd have to be able to rest the unit before buying. This one car is definitely not one you'd want to own after the warranty runs out. The left axle is clicking in my rav4 ev again and it was replaced about 3 months ago! It was covered under warranty though for me. I'd think that if you can pull out the unit and open it enough to unplug the touch screen and find a working replacement it could work.... It's all a gamble though :(

I don't know if my unit was refurbished it could very well be.

Back