Traction battery goes to LO when sitting a few days

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asavage

Supporting Member
I use my RAV4EV as a daily commuter, mostly. The two times I've been away on vacation etc., I've been careful to leave the traction battery in a semi-discharged state, ie not fully charged.

I have been away for a week, and this time I noted a 20 mile GOM before leaving; upon return, it was 'LO' again.

I do have a Pre-Climate schedule set, but I had assumed that it would not be triggered due to SOC under 50%.

Should I be doing something additional to prepare the RAV4 for not being used for a few days (five days for this last trip; two weeks in December)? It seems unusual that the traction battery would discharge so much when not being driven.

When I leave my car for more than a week, I put the 12V on a tender and make sure all the conditioning events are turned off. I also don't charge the car before I leave, so it's between 25% and 75% SOC. I have seen a couple spurious LO readings on the GOM, even when fully charged, but they all went away after a few moments or a single power cycle of the Start/Stop button.

The traction battery SOC should not change when parked unless there is conditioning active.

Hmmm. Next time I go away and return days later with a 'LO', I'll have to try to actually drive it and see if it changes. So far, I've been plugging it in and charging it -- that fits my usage pattern, starting the next morning with a "full tank".

Thanks for the feedback.

Takes about 8 seconds to switch the timer off and immediate charge on to stop the climate system.
Then a few more seconds to re-enable the timer upon return.

Back