Toyota roadside is useless

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cossie1600

Toyota Roadside is absolutely useless. They take forever to connect. They have dumb policies regarding towing. They don't even follow up properly on any service call. Don't cancel your AAA yet guys.

You are like the 2nd or third person to have said that here. I definitely won't be canceling aaa any time soon. Good to know for the future!

And here is the bad news
At least this was true a couple of years ago when I had it
Toyota subcontracts the work to AAA.

When I tried to use it, they eventually transferred me to AAA, who said they couldn't help.
So by that time I had found a nearby charger, and the the car started up and had enough charge to get to the charger.

The crazy part is that I'm doubled up on Toyota Roadside because I have the Platinum Extended Warranty and SafetyConnect. Still paying for AAA.

My Rav4 EV died on north 680 today near the Durham exit in Fremont after dark. I was able to coast off the freeway and onto a side street.
The Check EV System warning message was on the dashboard. I used safety connect to call for towing and everything seemed go well until they responded that they were going to tow me 3 miles to Fremont Toyota which is not a authorized Rav4 EV dealer. I told them I wanted to go to Toyota of Palo Alto as I have had all my work done there.

OK the charge for that was $131. What??? Really?? Sir we can only tow you to the closest dealer. I say that dealer can't service the car. They are like sorry sir.

I told the lady to call me back in 5 min. I tried the start 5 times (tried like 15 times) but still no go. I was talking to my wife when Toyota called me back, but my phone dropped the call. No call back from Toyota, tried calling the number on caller ID but it was outgoing only. Now I am feeling very unhappy.

So I am sitting in the car wondering what to do, scared about the traffic whizzing by, I hear the contacter drop out. So I try to start again and it works. The error is still there but I am able to drive 14 miles home

Feeling lucky to get home, but really think - *** Toyota Roadside Service is useless *** and a waste of money.

Scott

z3scot said:
My Rav4 EV died on north 680 today near the Durham exit in Fremont after dark. I was able to coast off the freeway and onto a side street.
The Check EV System warning message was on the dashboard. I used safety connect to call for towing and everything seemed go well until they responded that they were going to tow me 3 miles to Fremont Toyota which is not a authorized Rav4 EV dealer. I told them I wanted to go to Toyota of Palo Alto as I have had all my work done there.

OK the charge for that was $131. What??? Really?? Sir we can only tow you to the closest dealer. I say that dealer can't service the car. They are like sorry sir.

I told the lady to call me back in 5 min. I tried the start 5 times (tried like 15 times) but still no go. I was talking to my wife when Toyota called me back, but my phone dropped the call. No call back from Toyota, tried calling the number on caller ID but it was outgoing only. Now I am feeling very unhappy.

So I am sitting in the car wondering what to do, scared about the traffic whizzing by, I hear the contacter drop out. So I try to start again and it works. The error is still there but I am able to drive 14 miles home

Feeling lucky to get home, but really think - *** Toyota Roadside Service is useless *** and a waste of money.

Scott

Holy cow that's terrible talk about extremely bad customer service! Also crazy they sub contract AAA. What in the world might as well just use AAA, but well you got to pay for that one :(

cashcow said:
Holy cow that's terrible talk about extremely bad customer service! Also crazy they sub contract AAA. What in the world might as well just use AAA, but well you got to pay for that one :(

Huh? Safety Connect costs much more that AAA.

davewill said:
cashcow said:

Huh? Safety Connect costs much more that AAA.

I might be confusing things, but I thought you could still get toyota roadside service with out safety connect. Maybe I am confusing it with someone in the warranty? If you can't access the toyota roadside service with out safety connect then my mistake. I thought you could though?

I didn't think to try anything else. Since I got the car restarted I just drove home.
I have the platinum warranty also, which is supposed to cover towing. In the back of my head I was thinking I could call them and maybe they would cover towing to an EV Dealer.

So Saturday I decide to drive my car to Berkley Toyota 32 miles away to diagnose the EV Check Warning Message. I decide not to tow it because of the cost and my bad experience from the previous night. My wife followed in our ICE car.
I make it to Berkley with no problems, but partially pull into the service area that was blocked with cars. I got out to find the service manager and the meter maid tells me to move my car. I try but now the car will not get out of neutral, and is dead. So the service manager pushes it into the garage.
I am happy I made it, but in hindsight I probably should have had it towed in.

Scott

Back