Howl Noise when turning right?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cashcow

Well, this is the second time the rav4 ev has made this noise when I am turning the wheel. It's hard to describe but it sounds like a loud metallic howl of some sort. Seems to happen when I am turning the wheel. I turned right, I don't recall if it was in the same direction last time. It's been raining often here in L.A. I wonder if the rain could be causing the issue. Any thoughts on what it could be? Should I be worried? I just got the nav unit replaced and the left, I think, velocity joint thingie. I sure hope this will be covered under warranty!

that is classic CV joint failure symptom. Get on it quick as a failed CV can strand you and the car! CV joints are not expensive or hard to replace usually its the driver side that fails first as they usually operate at more extreme angles.

Steve
2012 RAV EV All Original Still working 56K miles

Hey thanks for replying :) I just had the left CV joint replaced because it clicked under acceleration and breaking. The HOWLING when turning doesn't happen very often. I'd say once a month. I can't change it myself or look at it because I don't have any mechanical exp. Taking it to toyota will just get 150 or so out of my pocket. I'd need for it to sound like that when turning the wheel at least a few times so they could look at it :(. I don't know what to think of it, but I have a feeling they'll just tell me there is nothing wrong with it. At least the joints don't click... THOUGH I think I might have herd a click ONCE, but it could be just my mind going nuts. I'll have to definitely keep track of this. I'm in the rav4 ev right now and turning the wheels dry make no noise :(. It looks like the cv joints on the rav4 ev are a pretty common failure! I wonder why

My cv joint replacement cost about 1,000 USD but it was covered under warranty. Feels expensive though I'd guess that was mostly labor and mark up from the dealer?

Interesting my left CV also clicks under acceleration and deacceleration so its probably about to go. I have done a few CVs in my life not too hard with proper tools. Usually cost about $150 for a single CV axle. I'll have to check on the RAV.

Is the CV joint in a RAV4 EV same as whats in a stock 2012 RAV???

Steve

Back