Tony Test gave me 2 numbers: 92 then 138

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cashcow

Hello,

I just hit 50,000 miles on my 2014 rav4 ev and decided to tony test it. I charged to extended range then drove back home 1.2 miles at low residential speeds. I parked @ home then unplugged the 12v. 2 hours later I come back and replug the 12v. Pressed the brake pedal and pushed start once. GOM said LO. I waited for the nav unit to fully load start. Then I pressed the brake again and pushed full start. GOM first displayed 92 miles then some minutes later it changed to 138. Outside temp read as 73F on the rav4 ev display.

So which one am I using? 92 or 138?

The first isn't so good I think. 92÷146=0.63 unless this is normal for 50k mile rav4 evs?

Lately when I've been driving it kind of felt like the rav4 ev range dropped, but I could be hallucinating. If the battery is at 0.63% just how many miles would that come out to driving? 91 or 92 miles? Funny, now that I think about it I think this is the number the RAV4 EV was showing or around there prior to doing all the 12v disconnecting.

138÷146=0.94 which is not bad at all, but I am not sure which number to use.

4) Disconnect all 3 of the 12 volt battery negative cables, and leave it that way overnight.

So we are only disconnecting the negative cables and not the positive? I can't charge at home so I will always have to drive about 1.2 miles back after extended charge. The rest I did seems to be accurate? Why are we only leaving the positive cable on the lead acid battery on?

No need to remove the positive connection once the circuit is disconnected by removing the negative. The battery needs BOTH connections to provide any voltage, so removing one is all that's needed.

Where exactly did I mess up? Was it just the negative connection only? Or is the other issue that I did not leave it unplugged over night? In the tony test thread someone mentioned the unplugged it only for about 2 hours and got a number and didn't seem to get any negative feedback in the thread.

cashcow said:
Where exactly did I mess up? Was it just the negative connection only? Or is the other issue that I did not leave it unplugged over night? In the tony test thread someone mentioned the unplugged it only for about 2 hours and got a number and didn't seem to get any negative feedback in the thread.

I’m not sure exactly what you did, to be honest, but driving the car isn’t part of the test procedure.

Back