Any input on Tow Hitch Brands? I hear CURT is really good.

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cashcow

I'm going to install a tow hitch on my rav4 ev and I noticed Tony installed the Reese Towpower 51157 Pro Series Class III Hitch, but looking online I see CURT gets mentioned often and that it has a really good history and quality.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/reh-51155?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-reese-towpower&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI36S4xpGf2wIVAdVkCh2dqgo4EAYYAiABEgIIO_D_BwE

$116

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-13149-Class-Trailer-Hitch/dp/B00C4B1F7U/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1527191632&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=curt+13149&psc=1

CURT 13149 Class 3 Trailer Hitch

$134.99 and -15 discount makes it 119.

Both have free shipping.

Right now I am thinking on only using it for a rear rack and maybe in the long far off future tow a trailer, maybe. I'm more excited about a rear rack and possibly building off an aero boat tail out the back though not exactly sure if I will ever get that done.

Anyone have any suggestion on hitches or thoughts on the brands and price? Ecohitch is 293 which is too expensive for me for what I want it for. I'd be quite happy with a $100 option which the two I mention are close to.

Thanks!

Also, the bolts need 60 0r 65 pounds of tension? I know there is a tool out there to measure it. Anyone know and bolt size?

I installed the Curt hitch/receiver; it was a tight fit and required a bit of work to line it up but I was able to install it myself.

IIRC, the bolts are M12 with 1.25mm threads and I used 30mm length. The kit came with 4 class 10 bolts; I was unable to find these locally but they can be easily ordered online. Torque on the weld nuts was recommended to 65 ft. lbs. You can buy a torque wrench or rent one at a local auto parts store.

Whichever hitch you decide on, follow the manufacturer's instruction exactly and it's best to use their hardware. If you are in doubt have a local RV/Auto mechanic or the like install it for you.

I have the Curt hitch and use it exclusively for a Kuat bike rack. When I received it, the box was slightly damaged and the holes did not line up perfectly. A little force, strategically placed, bent it back into shape.

Hi Miimura

That doesn't sound good that it came in damaged.

Would you happen to know what the tongue weight max is ont he rav4? looking at the rav4 forum they say 200 lbs tongue on the 4 and 300 tongue weight on the v6. Any thoughts?

The tongue weights are probably similar to the ICE versions, I would check the 2012 Sport model as that is most similar to our EV. Many people here use the RAV for towing, but be aware of the max GVWR. The Rav 4 EV has an extremely limited payload capacity due to the weight of the batteries. If you load up with 4 people and hitch a trailer, you will likely far exceed the GVWR and the design capacity for the brakes, wheel bearings, etc.

cashcow said:
Hi Miimura

That doesn't sound good that it came in damaged.

Would you happen to know what the tongue weight max is ont he rav4? looking at the rav4 forum they say 200 lbs tongue on the 4 and 300 tongue weight on the v6. Any thoughts?
200 lb tongue weight sounds about right. The Curt hitch is strong enough for that load. I purposely got the 2" receiver so that the bike rack would be more rigid and I could have the possibility of upgrading to the 4-bike version.

Just bought the tow hitch finally

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Curt-Manufacturing-Cur13149-06-C-Rav4-Excluding-Electric-Models-Class-III-Receiver-Hitch/48360700

Curt Manufacturing Cur13149 06-C Rav4 (Excluding Electric Models) Class III Receiver Hitch

$138.13 - 25$ (CC approval) = 113.13

As far as I can tell this is the same one as the one I linked in amazon. They no longer had the discount so I looked around and noticed this one in walmart and there is one down the street from me. No extra discount but did apply for their credit card and got 25$ off. Will install it by the end of the month I hope! Don't have the wrench or sockets but illl ask around and see if anyone can help me. I'm going to buy the aluminum rack/basket from harbor freight this end of the week they have a sale of 25% off for the weeked july 13 to 15 and I think it will be a nice addition.

I mean, if all goes well I want to use the rack as the base for the aero boat tail... but I don't know if I will ever actually try to make it or if I even can. Well out of carton I could just unsure how well it would hold.

installation pdf for the curt 13149 say you need 86 lb-ft and a 17mm socket plus a 19mm socket and also 8" extension . the extenSion is only for the panel trim piece which our rav doesnt have?

https://assets.curtmfg.com/masterlibrary/13149/installsheet/CM_13149_INS.pdf

Back