Strange GOM behavior

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AgingHippie

Last week, I got in the car to drive to work and it said 73 miles on the GOM. The accessory meter said 82 if I turn off the air. Drove 6 miles to work, GOM still said 73 and the other meter still said 82. Freaked out, of course, started calling around to see what dealers could service the thing, could they even get parts?

Drove home, GOM went down to 67. Watched carefully every day since then, full non-extended charge is now 75-78, where before it was 70-74, but GOM has not stopped again.

Has anyone else seen anything like this? Is the car adjusting itself based on driving history or something? Is this a common malfunction? Does the car need to go in?

In case there's any connection, the charge indicator lights on the dashboard have never worked since I got the car.

There’s a whole thread devoted to the ridiculous GOM. Please don’t be so focused on that.

Crazy numbers are what the GOM does. Period. Going to the dealer for this is not a good idea. If you want a “feel good” thing, then disconnect the 12 volt battery (after you’ve charged the car in EXTENDED mode) and leave the 12 volt disconnected overnight.

The next morning, reconnect it. There should be a small spark and the brake booster should start working. Let us know what the GOM says now.

Also, have you replaced the 12 volt battery in the last 2-3 years?

TonyWilliams said:
There’s a whole thread devoted to the ridiculous GOM. Please don’t be so focused on that.

Crazy numbers are what the GOM does. Period. Going to the dealer for this is not a good idea. If you want a “feel good” thing, then disconnect the 12 volt battery (after you’ve charged the car in EXTENDED mode) and leave the 12 volt disconnected overnight.

The next morning, reconnect it. There should be a small spark and the brake booster should start working. Let us know what the GOM says now.

Also, have you replaced the 12 volt battery in the last 2-3 years?

Aren't we in the GOM thread? I thought that was where I posted this.

I think not responding for 6 miles is outside of normal even for the flaky GOM. It raises the question, has it done it before and I didn't notice?

Your version of the battery experiment sounds much simpler than others I've seen. I might actually try that. I expect that since I'm over 50K miles but under 100K, that the range should be 10% below new, or 91 - 9.1 = 82 without A/C non-extended charge.

I've had the car less than a year. I haven't replaced the 12 volt battery.

Disconnecting the 12 volt battery does nothing to the main traction battery. It merely resets the crazy GOM. Trying to calculate EPA rated range minus something is NOT going to work!!!

Yes, you likely have 5-10% traction battery degradation, and the way to determine what that degradation is, is with the “Tony-Test”.

1) Fully charge the traction battery in EXTENDED mode
2) Make sure the car is unplugged
3) Disconnect all 3 black negative leads from the 12 volt battery (12mm wrench)
4) Let the vehcile sit overnight
5) Next morning, reconnect the 12 volt. You should get a spark.
6) Open the driver’s door and look at the GOM. Write the number down.
7) It will take two pushes of the start button to power up the car. Push once, and wait for the Navigation to spin up. Then push a second time, and you’ll hear the familiar “clunk” and see READY above the speedometer
8) The GOM is reset. The number you wrote down is then divided into 146 to get the approximate degradation:

Example: 132 / 146 = 90% capacity of the traction battery

Replace the 12 volt battery now. Order the Bosch 12 volt that I recommend below. You can pick it up at Pep Boys, or they will ship it:

Rav4 EV 12 volt Battery recommendations:

Woke up to a dead RAV4 yesterday, the 12V was toast. Wouldn't even trickle charge. I bought the Bosch and replaced it. That's when all the problems started. At first, it wouldn't even slip into gear and I was getting all sorts of errors - EV System errors, airbag errors, power steering errors. After countless reboots, an hour on the J1772 charger, and more reboots, it finally returned to semi-normalcy and could at least drive it. But the EV System errors persisted, and this morning I took it in to the dealer.

Please, PLEASE, folks. Replace that original Toyota battery now... while this story is fresh in your mind.

You’re going to replace it anyway, and that replacement Bosch battery isn’t going to get any cheaper!

Please, stop the madness. Replace your Toyota battery, even if you’re too cheap or too lazy to do so.

Here are the recommended 12 volt battery specifications:

1) AGM (not flooded acid cells like the original)

2) Group 24F size

3) 60 amp/hour rating

YES, I RECOGNIZE THAT THIS IS NOT THE BATTERY or BATTERY SIZE THAT PEP BOYS OR TOYOTA RECOMMENDS ! INSIST ON GROUP 24F SIZE.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND ANY LEAD-ACID BATTERY FROM COSTCO, ETC. YES, I RECOGNIZE THAT THEY MAY BE CHEAPER.

https://m.pepboys.com/search/?term=bosch+24f+60ah+agm

Pep Boys # 0838890

Bosch S6508B S6 or Exide Edge FP-AGM24F battery with the correct specs is $150-$180. Units are built by Enersys.

Autozone also has a competing battery, built by Johnson Controls called Duralast Platinum for about $200:

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-charging/battery/duralast-platinum-battery/547127_188710_25697

What is lost and needs to be reset with a 12 volt disconnect:

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=20859#p20859

1) Stored radio / SiriusXM stations will remain, however your last station listened to will likely be gone

2) Cell phone pairings are not 100%, so I would check. i have had to delete my phone (and the car from my phone) and re-pair it

3) Map display mode

4) Volume of navigation voice notifications

5) Random play modes

6) Charge schedule will be retained, but it won't work without hitting the "SAVE" button on the previous screen

7) state selection from destination address page

The GOM can go up, down, or stay the same after driving 6 miles, depending on a lot of factors. I have seen all of those behaviors regularly.

-John

TonyWilliams said:
3) 60 amp/hour rating

This, apparently, is rarer than a left handed catcher's mitt, disqualifying 95% of available AGM 24F batteries and 100% of LI 24F batteries, and ensuring that everything left is at the very pinnacle of outrageous pricing. Is this really necessary?

AgingHippie said:
TonyWilliams said:
3) 60 amp/hour rating

This, apparently, is rarer than a left handed catcher's mitt, disqualifying 95% of available AGM 24F batteries and 100% of LI 24F batteries, and ensuring that everything left is at the very pinnacle of outrageous pricing. Is this really necessary?
If you don't mind the car stranding you every two years and paying the dealer $160 each time to reset the DTC codes in the car, by all means, use a lesser battery.

AgingHippie said:
TonyWilliams said:
3) 60 amp/hour rating

If you read my post, you wouldn’t have this question!

Obviously, buy any 12 volt battery you want. The very few that I recommend are the physically largest battery that will fit with the largest amp/hour rating. AGM is a nice perk.

$150 to $200 is typical.

All the headaches with a failed battery in the RAV4 would not be worth it to me.

Most annoying. I can't get a listing for the Bosch battery off the Pep Boys site. It literally won't show you the part unless you enter in a car model that happens to use it...Grrrrr!

TonyWilliams said:
AgingHippie said:
TonyWilliams said:
3) 60 amp/hour rating

If you read my post, you wouldn’t have this question!

Obviously, buy any 12 volt battery you want. The very few that I recommend are the physically largest battery that will fit with the largest amp/hour rating. AGM is a nice perk.

$150 to $200 is typical.

All the headaches with a failed battery in the RAV4 would not be worth it to me.

Maybe I'm misreading. I know that the 3 specific models you mention aren't available in my area, or on Amazon. Searching various sites for one, AGM+24F is not too difficult to find, and even NI+24F is possible. AGM+60AH yields only marine or motorcycle batteries, not size 24F. 24F+60AH yields nothing, either AGM or NI or even flooded cell like the original.

Why 60? Why not 100? Where does that number come from, and what does the stock battery that comes with the car have?

AgingHippie said:
Maybe I'm misreading. I know that the 3 specific models you mention aren't available in my area, or on Amazon. Searching various sites for one, AGM+24F is not too difficult to find, and even NI+24F is possible. AGM+60AH yields only marine or motorcycle batteries, not size 24F. 24F+60AH yields nothing, either AGM or NI or even flooded cell like the original.

Why 60? Why not 100? Where does that number come from, and what does the stock battery that comes with the car have?
I searched AGM 24F battery on Amazon and this was one of the first results:

Odyssey 24F $248 It is an AGM type battery rated 61 Ah.
https://smile.amazon.com/Odyssey-Battery-0750-2060-Performance-Powersport/dp/B015R9JJKA/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1534462146&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=agm+24f+battery

Google shopping also led me to Home Depot. They sell the Exide version of the Bosch battery for $225 and they will deliver to your home or your local store for free.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Edge-24F-Auto-AGM-Battery-FP-AGM24FDS/205342446

AgingHippie said:
smkettner said:

Are you saying that it is normal to drive the car 6 miles with the A/C full blast, and the GOM reading does not change at all?
Yup
Not that it does that every day but will within the normal antics. A couple months ago mine was charging to 167 miles.... as if.

I know y'all like Bosch batteries, but I don't; I've had two of them in different vehicles crap out on me unexpectedly. I went a different direction with two Odyssey 34R-PC1500T (one for the RAV4EV, one for the Sienna). It is AGM can be deep-cycled without detriment, and is 68 ah capacity.

It requires (unless you want to make your own) a height spacer to fit properly. Odyssey's is No. 2220-1251SEL, $5 plus shipping, which isn't readily available anywhere. I got a universal spacer for free from a FLAPS, but for the second battery I just ordered one from Odyssey.

[later edit 24Aug2018]Amazon now sells this spacer.[/edit]

It's a lot more expensive than the Bosch, about $270. I love Interstate lead-acid batteries (though not dry cells or AGMs); these are the first Odysseys I've purchased, but they're highly-regarded and I do feel the RAV4EV is especially hard on its 12v battery and can benefit from having a tough battery.

Oh, and I sold the old batteries on CraigsList, $10 ea. One fellow just needed a placeholder on his insurance-totaled car, so he could keep his expensive battery, and the other only had a $10 budget for his beater's battery. Everybody wins.

miimura said:

https://smile.amazon.com/Odyssey-Battery-0750-2060-Performance-Powersport/dp/B015R9JJKA/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1534462146&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=agm+24f+battery

Google shopping also led me to Home Depot. They sell the Exide version of the Bosch battery for $225 and they will deliver to your home or your local store for free.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Edge-24F-Auto-AGM-Battery-FP-AGM24FDS/205342446

It never would have occurred to me to search at Home Depot for a car battery, even though I ordered my kayak from Lowe's. And I have no idea why that other battery doesn't come up for me on Amazon. Maybe having prime changes the search results?

Anyway, thanks for those.

miimura said:

It's interesting that my price at that Ama-zon link is $308, not $248.

asavage said:
miimura said:

It's interesting that my price at that Ama-zon link is $308, not $248.
Prices on Amazon change very frequently. Just now it was $304 for me.

This site tracks price history.
https://keepa.com/#!product/1-B015R9JJKA

miimura said:
This site tracks price history.
https://keepa.com/#!product/1-B015R9JJKA
Bookmarked, Thanks!

In return: this site evaluates Amazon reviews and gives a grade on how likely the reviews are faked/bought:

https://www.fakespot.com/

Especially commodity items that are manufactured overseas and sold by many distributors, many of the reviews are fake.

Back