2014 RAV4 EV vs 2016 Nissan Leaf SL

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pinkpower

HI all,

I am looking to get the RAV4 EV 2014. But I am still debate between the 2016 Leaf and the 2014 Rav4 EV. Any input would be appreciated.

RAV4EV is faster, has longer range, and has a LOT more interior room. It has no factory DC Fast Charging, but there's a $3k aftermarket solution, if you need to be able to fast charge.

(My daily commute is 60 miles; it begins scheduled charging at home at 2:30am for departure at 5:30am, and is always "full" at that time.)

I have real-world range of 105+ in Summer, 85 in Winter. Using the heater costs me 20% range in Seattle, using "I want heat!" mode and not trying to economize at all.

Connectivity: Entune sucks.

It has "issues": parts break. You must purchase the Toyota Platinum Used Car warranty (IMO). I paid $3k for mine. Battery thermal mgmt system is top-of-the-line; batteries degrade slowly.

Leaf has built-in DCFC (CHAdeMO) support for fast charging on trips. It's a lot smaller. It has fewer "issues". The drivetrain is very robust and durable. Range is shorter, and batteries tend to degrade faster (air-cooled battery temperature mgmt system). Newer Leafs have less of an issue with this, but if you're in a very warm climate, it's an issue.

Connectivity: NissanConnect works.

--------------------

I was looking for a used Leaf when, during research, I stumbled across this site. After ten hours' reading, I knew the RAV4EV was a better fit for me, and I bought mine without driving it. I am in a three-vehicle household, so issues around downtime (due to the RAV4EV being in the shop) or a failed scheduled charge are less important to me than if it was my sole transport. I had a Tesla M3 reservation, and we are taking delivery on it next week, but not for me: I am happy with the RAV4EV and do not need an upgrade to the Model 3, but someone else in my household is buying it because their car is near EOL. If we didn't buy the M3, I was going to pick up another RAV4EV, that's how satisfied I am with mine.

I've had both a LEAF and now my RAV4EV. I liked both cars...but...

Nissan's batteries simply don't handle very hot or very cold weather gracefully. The cold weather folks find their range greatly lowered when it's cold, and the hot weather people find their batteries degrading very quickly. You can't count on owning one for a long time unless you really don't mind owning a car with 50 miles range (either because it's cold, or because it's degraded). When buying used beware getting a car from a hot weather area that's been moved to a cold weather area. You'll end up with the worst of both worlds, a degraded battery and reduced range from cold.

The RAV4EV is an orphan, costs too much to repair, but I love the thing. Don't own one unless you can get extended warranty coverage either by buying one from someone who already has the extended warranty, or by buying the Toyota used car extended warranty. Mine's covered to 8 years 125k miles, so I don't worry. By the time I exceed that, I hope that either I have a good one and I can start to trust it, third parties will be able to repair them for a more reasonable price, or I can find another EV that I like for a price that I like.

P.S. Please fill in your location in your user profile. Then I would have known what kind of climate you have and tailored the advice better.

We own both a 2011 Leaf and a 2012 Rav4 EV, a two car household. When I need to go farther than 160 miles I rent or fly. I can get from my home to a moutain retreat (big bear) and desert (palm springs) with the RAV, its by far my favorite car roomy fun to drive and the battery holds up quite well. Room for bikes I have a hitch can tow small things around launch boats etc. I have no more warranty but trust that I can fix whatever should come up.

The leaf we share and is a super solid very quiet and smooth car its smaller and now at 60K miles its range is about 57 miles max or 8 bars out of 12 so 8/12 or 66% life left over. We keep using it so we charge it every night. Its a great commuter if your employer allows you to charge. We don't leave town in the leaf but it does have Chademo fast charger so if we get stuck we look for a dealer or chargepoint or EVGO station.

Both cars will outlast me so don't see buying another car for a long time. Both have 60K miles. Leaf is smooth as silk the RAV is sporty and powerful. Neither needs gasoline :) and I have solar so no need for coal either.

Steve

I had a 2011 Leaf and bought a 2013 Rav4 EV when my commute went to 90 miles or more daily. The Leaf had 12 bars and quickly (within two years) went down to 9 bars on a full charge. I'd barely make it to my driveway and it left me stranded a couple times. Estimating it was down to 67% based on miles per charge. Nissan wouldn't approve the battery replacement, so I traded it in for the RAV4 EV.

My battery is roughly 99% of capacity and it was replaced at 71k miles. I have almost 120k on it now. The Leaf was bought with 19k and was traded in with 46k. I drive a lot.

The RAV4 EV is a solid car no trouble other than the battery issue early on in ownership.

I also have to echo the earlier posts.

Used to have a 2011 Leaf which was great at first, but the battery capacity decreased rapdily over time, and in the end I was glad to get rid of it.

The RAV4, despite the complexity with maintenance/warranties is amfar better and longer-lasting car for the money.

Yes my 2011 LEAF battery was a disaster. Tesla battery is far and away superior.
I far prefer the utility and size of the RAV over the LEAF as well.

With an I-Pace on the way I am going to miss the RAV4-EV....

Back