Nearing Extended Warranty Expiration - Out of State

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spiffster

We have had our RAV4 EV since March of 2013, 73k miles and zero issues so far. Wife LOVES this car and wants to keep driving it as long as possible.

I do suspect our drive unit may need replacing as its a bit loud, perhaps due to motor bearing on the way out, not sure.

We are in Colorado and our (Toyota) extended warranty expires in March 2020.

Im wondering if we can get the car diagnosed (possibly get motor replaced) locally, or if we should just ship it to a CA dealer and have them do whatever work needs to be done before the warranty expires. We do have a third car that my wife can drive while her RAV4 is in service, so if we need to ship it to a CA dealer and wait however long for for proper service, that is fine.

Thoughts? Suggestions? TIA

I would try my local dealer first. Our RAV4 stopped accepting a charge and I drove it to the nearest Toyota dealer (in Dallas, TX). They were able to diagnose the problem, with help from Tesla using their remote sensing, ordered a new motor assembly, and installed it. To my knowledge, all work was performed by the local mechanic, without flying in an EV-certified mechanic from CA.

Shipping the car back and forth is a pain (and, given the weight, pretty pricey) so I would search for a local dealership willing to help.

Good luck!

My drive unit, heater, and DC-DC Inverter were all replaced under (various) warranties by Toyota of Seattle, no problem.

How much hassle they put you through depends on the individual dealer. You may have to shop around for the most compliant dealer.

Back