Value of a Rav4 EV roller?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeCKis300

I'll be at a cross-roads soon with my 2012 Rav4 EV. It has served my wife very well in the almost 7 years we'll have had it. The extended Toyota platinum warranty has also served us well in that time. Soon, the warranty will expire. Which is what puts us at this cross-roads.

Do we keep it and continue to drive it, because it'll be super economical with it being paid off an all, powered by solar? With the potential risk that one day we'll experience a failure which may cost more to fix than the cars worth?

I'm curious what the market for a roller Rav4 EV is.

Potentially from two points of view.

1) Residual value of a roller to recoup some equity. Let's assume a Rav4EV with a bad traction motor. Can this still be sold for something like $5k? $8k? Your guess?
2) Purchase value of a roller, to scavenge a working part for my vehicle?

We know some significant parts like traction motor or battery cost way more than the cost of a whole running Rav4 EV, so it would potentially always be no more than say $11k to be whole with a working vehicle again.

As long as there are working parts, it should be worth something. A good ECU or traction motor could always be sold for a decent price. Of course, that's if people still want them. I suspect once more affordable electric SUVs start hitting the market, the desirability of the RAV4 will fade.

I'm currently starting to ponder my end-of-ownership strategy as well. My RAV4 still has 2-3 years left on the warranty and pretty low mileage. Wondering if selling it now makes more sense than waiting a year or two. I test drove the Niro EV and it was pretty tempting, but still thinking I'd rather have the upcoming VW or a Model Y.

I have a dedicated parts car that I bought just in case my cars ever need anything. I currently have warranties on my 2 cars but I thought just in case.

They havent needed anything, nothing! So I started to part it out on ebay. The big stuff sold fairly quickly but I still have 90% of a car with not much interest coming in. I assume once parts start failing out of warranty they will sell quickly. But for now I have a car in my driveway.

If its still drive-able you should try to keep it on the road. Parting out takes a lot of patience and work.

Back