Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Why did Toyota build Rav4 EV? What happens after 2014 ?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:28 am 

Ampster wrote:
The only thing that might cause them to shift toward more EVs would be for the RAV4EV to sell out in a short time frame. and that does not appear to be happening.

The car is too expensive for this to happen, all EVs are. I've heard more than a dozen people tell me they'd buy my car if it was cheaper, and not like 15k cheap, like 30k (no rebate).

I guess that's the problem though, if EVs were as cheap as gas cars more of them would be on the road.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:25 pm 

Vach wrote:
Ampster wrote:
The only thing that might cause them to shift toward more EVs would be for the RAV4EV to sell out in a short time frame. and that does not appear to be happening.

The car is too expensive for this to happen, all EVs are. I've heard more than a dozen people tell me they'd buy my car if it was cheaper, and not like 15k cheap, like 30k (no rebate).

I guess that's the problem though, if EVs were as cheap as gas cars more of them would be on the road.

Yeah... I really think they would sell more if they would advertise the damn things! :roll:

As Tony said, Elon Musk even offered to sell the Tesla drive train to Toyota at a lesser price so the vehicle could be sold for less and Toyota said NO! Toyota clearly believes "EV bad... Hybrid good"!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:29 am 

Keep in mind, also, that it wouldn't be wise to sell too many, too fast, and THEN go to the EPA to try and stop the CARB-ZEV mandate (which they did through their manufacturer's association).

Heck, they still haven't updated the website on specials after June 3. Why advertise? Pretend like it doesn't exist and then say' "See, nobody wants EV's".

San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:19 am 

TonyWilliams wrote:
Why advertise? Pretend like it doesn't exist and then say' "See, nobody wants EV's".

Yes... too bad, but yes! They must know something that we don't. They didn't get to be the worlds biggest automaker by making stupid decisions!

I guess I just don't get it! Probably never will! Oh well...

Post subject: GM CARB requirements?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:46 pm 

Does anyone know how many EV GM need to produce to meet CARB requirements?
Like Toyota has to produce 2600 RAV4 EV. How many Spark EV does GM need to produce? For how many years? Thanks

Post subject: Re: GM CARB requirements?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:46 am 

camiev wrote:
Does anyone know how many EV GM need to produce to meet CARB requirements?
Like Toyota has to produce 2600 RAV4 EV. How many Spark EV does GM need to produce? For how many years? Thanks

Both GM and Toyota are "Very Large Manufacturers", and are somewhat equal in oil burning car sales in California, so I expect a similar number of ZEV's. Toyota has an advantage with it's Prius volume, versus Volt (they all factor in).

Phase III of CARB ZEV compliance is 2012 - 2014 model years. In Phase IV, model years 2015 - 2017, other manufacturers will be joining the party, like Daimler (Mercedes) and BMW.

tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:16 am 

AvLegends wrote:
Yes... too bad, but yes! They must know something that we don't. They didn't get to be the worlds biggest automaker by making stupid decisions!

This is my thinking as well; especially with all that EV concept car fluff that I've seen on some of their cars (like the Fun-Vii... hopefully I'm 'spelling' that right). They must have plans they simply don't want to share.

My theory, is that they are going to wait to release a "mainstream" EV vehicle when battery technology is better and cheaper, like Li-Air or those Calcium batteries I read about. This way, they can make it seem like their starting vehicles are better than everyone else's or "more advanced."

Post subject: DOES TOYOTA REALLY WANT TO SELL ELECTRIC CARS?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:20 pm 

I am mystified by Toyota. They have an all electric car in their showrooms now, the RAV4 EV, priced at $50,000. Today Toyota announced they are producing another electrically driven car for 2015, priced at $50,000. This time it comes with a refinery onboard to produce the electricity from a hydrogen fuel cell. I think Toyota will do the same thing with the fuel cell electric car as they have done with the RAV4 EV. Toyota will keep it a secret. There are 38 million people in California with millions of electrical outlets, about 13,500 gasoline stations and 9 hydrogen fueling stations available to them. This tells me electricity is the most readily available energy in California. Toyota is not serious about selling any electric car, fuel cell or battery powered, it’s just public relations. Producing a few electric cars is a means of staying within the California requirements to allow manufacturers to continue producing gasoline engine cars. Toyota will signal they are serious about selling electric cars when the time comes that after you have decided on which Toyota you want, the salesperson then asks you which version you want, electric or gasoline.

Driving a White RAV4 EV since Oct 2012 Vin #1042
Added chrome Toyota “EVELECTRIC” logo to rear door
Added gas lifts to hood and
TESLA POWERED” decals to sides & back door
Leviton 40A Charger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:43 pm 

Please read through this thread to answer your questions. You'll note I predicted exactly a Toyota hydrogen car for 2015.

tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:04 pm 

For what it's worth, Toyota posted a press release sharing they will be showing off their fuel cell vehicle at the Aspen Ideas Festival. Between the way they executed the Prius Plug-in effort, and the RAV4 EV effort, sure feels like Toyota isn't going to focus on electric for a while (at best, they'll 'plugify' the next gen Prius).

I guess I can only hope I can get my hands on a RAV4 EV before they are gone.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next