Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: The END of RAV 4 EV
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:09 pm 

Tesla to stop supplying batteries for Toyota
Chris Woodyard, USA TODAY 11:36 a.m. EDT May 12, 2014
ToyotaRAV4EV-12
(Photo11: Toyota)
SHARE11
CONNECT11
TWEET11
LINKEDIN11
COMMENT11
EMAIL11
With its own crossover in the works, electric vehicle maker Tesla Motors says it is going to stop supplying battery packs and motors for Toyota, which uses them in the electric RAV4.

"Toyota is expected to end the current RAV4 EV model this year," Tesla said in a quarterly financial disclosure filed Friday with the Securities and Exchange Commission. It says the deal was worth $15.1 million.

Toyota doesn't break out sale of the electric version of its RAV4, but it's fair to say it's a small-volume vehicle. Yet it has roughly the same powerplant as the Tesla Model S for up to half the cost. The electric RAV4 retails for about $50,000.

Tesla's filing said the company recognized revenue of $15.1 million in automotive sales revenue under the deal during the three months ended March 31. that compared with $14.4 million for the same period last year.

Meanwhile, Tesla is working on its own crossover. The Model X, as it is known, has been delayed, but when it hits the market it should be fairly startling, with upward-opening gullwing doors for backseat passengers. It is likely, however, to cost a lot more more than the electric RAV4.

Post subject: Re: The END of RAV4 EV
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:00 pm 
Site Moderator

The RAV4 EV has been an endangered species since before sales even started. The deal was for 2,600 cars. Elon thought Toyota would re-up at the end of the agreement and it turns out Toyota is unlikely to do that. I think most of us knew that would be the outcome going in.

It would be much more of a surprise to see Toyota actually continue to make RAV4 EVs beyond 2,600 than it would be for them to stop doing so.

Take the Rav4 EV Owner Survey: http://goo.gl/8460go
View the Rav4 EV Owner Registry: http://goo.gl/QtrlKu

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:10 pm 

It's no news around here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=379

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=97

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:59 pm 

Depends on the cost and volume of the fuel cell vehicle program.
I could see the RAV4-EV coming back in 2017 to 2019.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:06 pm 

I'm going to need therapy when this is all over.

949-689-0717 cell
310-522-2317 office
In my garage:
2013 Rav4 EV Blue #2030 & 2014 Rav4 EV blue #3473
2012 Prius PlugIn
My son is a USMC Sergeant & am SO proud of him!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:28 pm 

perhaps we can get Toyota decision makers to get their heads examined too. this could be such a good car.

Post subject: Tesla to stop supplying batteries for Toyota
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:43 pm 

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/car ... s/8961905/

With its own crossover in the works, electric vehicle maker Tesla Motors says it is going to stop supplying battery packs and motors for Toyota, which uses them in the electric RAV4.

"Toyota is expected to end the current RAV4 EV model this year," Tesla said in a quarterly financial disclosure filed Friday with the Securities and Exchange Commission. It says the deal was worth $15.1 million.

Toyota doesn't break out sale of the electric version of its RAV4, but it's fair to say it's a small-volume vehicle. Yet it has roughly the same powerplant as the Tesla Model S for up to half the cost. The electric RAV4 retails for about $50,000.

Tesla's filing said the company recognized revenue of $15.1 million in automotive sales revenue under the deal during the three months ended March 31. that compared with $14.4 million for the same period last year.

Meanwhile, Tesla is working on its own crossover. The Model X, as it is known, has been delayed, but when it hits the market it should be fairly startling, with upward-opening gullwing doors for backseat passengers. It is likely, however, to cost a lot more more than the electric RAV4.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 1:15 am 

Toyota can make 9 credits for hydrogen car, 3 for electric, in CA, so despite the absurd cost of the platinum in the car, it's still cheaper for them to pretend hydrogen cars are viable and dump Tesla's battery/motor.

They will get government grants to build a few more hydrogen stations, make enough cars to meet the ZEV requirements, and when they sell enough it will disappear, too, and Toyota will have to find something else to shoot at.

I'm mad that CARB is favoring Hyundai and Toyota's cynical play here over a California-grown company that is a shining light of American manufacturing and entrepreneurship. Plus, Toyota is moving HQ to Texas.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:39 am 

jspearman wrote:
Toyota can make 9 credits for hydrogen car, 3 for electric, in CA, so despite the absurd cost of the platinum in the car, it's still cheaper for them to pretend hydrogen cars are viable and dump Tesla's battery/motor.

Yes the good part is Toyota only needs to sell 1/3 as many FC ZEVs.
The bad part is Toyota has to sell 1/3 as many FC ZEVs. Good luck on that. Market is about saturated with Honda Clarity. Both of them.

Lower cost to develop and sell FC vs buy a drive train from Tesla? I have my doubts.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:03 am 

I'm curious, will Toyota let lthose who are leasing buy the car at the end of the lease, or are they taking them back for the crusher? I know the fuel cells are lease only.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next