Rav4 EV as a standby power source

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solarjackpv

Does anyone have any ideas on how to use the traction battery of the Rav4 EV to power your house if the powers goes down?

I would assume a 300VDC+ input inverter to a 120/240vAC and auto transfer switch hooked up to a critical load panel.

There was some talk about this happening with the Leaf and the Plug in Prius as a option in the Japanese Market.

Any ideas that wouldn't void the warranty?

solarjackpv said:
Does anyone have any ideas on how to use the traction battery of the Rav4 EV to power your house if the powers goes down?

I would assume a 300VDC+ input inverter to a 120/240vAC and auto transfer switch hooked up to a critical load panel.

There was some talk about this happening with the Leaf and the Plug in Prius as a option in the Japanese Market.

Any ideas that wouldn't void the warranty?
I think any way to tie into the Tesla battery/inverter would instantly void warranty... I can't see any way to do what you are talking about. I think it's closer to 400VDC. This can kill and as Tony said before and HURT while you are being killed.

Spend $1000 and get a 8kw backup generator and you are set when the power goes out. I bet you will spend a lot more on an inverter to convert 400VDC to 240VAC at the capacity you will need to power your house.

This is just my $.02 worth. I'm sure there are more knowledgeable people here who can chime in...

I'm just thinking out loud, but an easy way to use the Rav4 EV traction battery is turn the car to READY and connect a 1000 watt inverter to the 12 volt battery; one to the positive 12 volt terminal and one to ground.

http://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-Prowatt-SW1000-Sinewave-Inverter/dp/B002I04A74/ref=pd_sim_sbs_lg_3

The DC/DC can probably pump out about 100 amps at 12 volts, and with the car in READY, the traction battery will keep the 12 volt powered. Obviously, don't plug in a J1772 plug into the car (even if it's not powered). That will stop the DC/DC converter from powering the 12v system

Now, you can power the refrigerator for a long time. The start up for the refrigerator might be over 1000 watts, but the continuous draw is only about 200 watts. The car in READY will also probably consume about 200 watts, assuming the TMS doesn't have to run (hot or cold ambient air).

41.8kWh might power this for about 100 hours (41.8kWh / 400w), although a refrigerator doesn't run all the time. That depends a lot on the surrounding temperature and how many times you open the door.

To power other stuff at a higher rate, you'd need something off the 386 volt pack. To protect the pack with the BMS, you'd need the car in READY. There are tons of choices of inverters for this that are used in the solar industry for this purpose. I'll just stop there and say that if you don't have the skill or knowledge to accomplish this, don't do it.

The Nissan LEAF and Mitsubishi iMiev both have "Vehicle 2 Home" boxes that plug into the CHAdeMO DC port. The same box usually also works as a charger, too, so power can go both ways with the car's battery.

Back