Fresh Air / Recirculated Air

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sliu805

Hello Everyone,

I just got my RAV4 this memorial day and I noticed that when I have it on Fresh air mode (air flow set to face) I do not feel the air till I switch my blower on? Is this true for all the RAV4?

I hope its not true since the blower takes a lot of energy and I would like to drive when I have Fresh Air mode without the blower... Please let me know

Thanks

Steve

sliu805 said:
Hello Everyone,

I just got my RAV4 this memorial day and I noticed that when I have it on Fresh air mode (air flow set to face) I do not feel the air till I switch my blower on? Is this true for all the RAV4?

I hope its not true since the blower takes a lot of energy and I would like to drive when I have Fresh Air mode without the blower... Please let me know

Thanks

Steve

The blower takes almost no energy, compared to the heater or air conditioner pump.

Hi Tony,

When I switch the fan the driving range drops from 120 miles to ~ 110 miles. When I switch the AC ON it drops by 1 mile...

Anyways, I wanted to know when the AIR is set to Fresh AIR do you feel the air without the fan?

Thanks

Steve

TonyWilliams said:
sliu805 said:
Hello Everyone,

Thanks

Steve

The blower takes almost no energy, compared to the heater or air conditioner pump.

sliu805 said:
Hi Tony,

When I switch the fan the driving range drops from 120 miles to ~ 110 miles. When I switch the AC ON it drops by 1 mile...

Unfortunately, you are using the GOM as your basis for power. I'm suggesting that the fan takes very little power compared to the HUGE power consumption of the heater, and the air conditioners.

So, if you want to believe the GOM, be my guest.

I don't know if there's a way to turn off the fan and have fresh air.

Hit the recirculate button twice, and you should get fresh air flow when the vehicle is moving. The climate control display should show an icon indicating fresh air coming into the vehicle. It is not much, but it is something. That said, the air conditioning heat pump really does not use much power. I would say using the air conditioner with the fan set to auto or low under low heat load scenarios uses the same or less power than just having the fan on hi.

yblaser said:
................... the air conditioning heat pump really does not use much power. I would say using the air conditioner with the fan set to auto or low under low heat load scenarios uses the same or less power than just having the fan on hi.

That being said, the heater is not as efficient as the A/C heat pump. That is why the seats sometimes come on automatically. If I understand it correctly the seat warmers use 1/10 of the power that the heaters use. Something like 400 watts versus 4Kwatts.

Ampster said:
That being said, the heater is not as efficient as the A/C heat pump. That is why the seats sometimes come on automatically. If I understand it correctly the seat warmers use 1/10 of the power that the heaters use. Something like 400 watts versus 4Kwatts.

Yes, you can use the aux power display to get an idea of the energy usage. Unfortunately it is a very coarse bar graph but the difference between 0.4 kW and 4 kW is easy enough to distinguish :D

The heater is rated at 6kW. It's the same Denso unit in the LEAF (except 2013 LEAF-SV and SL):

122A72A4-CB5F-4561-8BA6-D29CA86D634D-2559-00000180BF7D9B83.jpg

Yeah I tried that but the air is so little I cannot even feel it....unlike my Prius. This is a serious design flaw since my wife will never try to experiment how far the car can drive. If the fan takes very little energy it should show it on the GOM.

Thanks

Steve

yblaser said:
Hit the recirculate button twice, and you should get fresh air flow when the vehicle is moving. The climate control display should show an icon indicating fresh air coming into the vehicle. It is not much, but it is something. That said, the air conditioning heat pump really does not use much power. I would say using the air conditioner with the fan set to auto or low under low heat load scenarios uses the same or less power than just having the fan on hi.

Back