How difficult is it to steal a RAV4 EV?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlhodges

Two years ago my son's old Honda Accord was stolen but was recovered a day later. The thief had entered the car, broken off the ignition and stuck a screwdriver into it which started the car. How vulnerable is the RAV4 EV to this type of theft? What anti-theft steps are RAV4 EV folks taking?

As far as I know they are not vulnerable to the same type of break ins since we have a key-less ignition. If the car doesn't see the RF ID of the keyfob, nothing happens. The only precaution I take is after using a valet to make sure the keyfob is in my pocket and not in the drink holder, where some valets leave it. That has happened to me several times when I subsequently park somewhere else I left the key in the drink holder so anybody could have driven away with the car.

Here's an article about computer guys figuring out how to capture the signal of the "proximity key" like the RAV4's and steal the car. It is so complex it that no reasonable criminal is going to try this on an EV that he then has to find a charging station for!

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/422298/car-theft-by-antenna/

the car also has multiple ways to "locate" it. The Safety Connect system has a way to do that, *and* the entune app will tell you where your car is. You need to have a police report # to get SafetyConnect to activate tracking, but you can track with the Entune App anytime. Whats more the car seems to periodically"ping" Toyota once you have the Entune app activated becuase whenever i bring it up, it knows where the car was last (usually where i parked it last time). I suspect there are logs this information can be recovered from too...

n3ckf said:
the car also has multiple ways to "locate" it. The Safety Connect system has a way to do that, *and* the entune app will tell you where your car is. You need to have a police report # to get SafetyConnect to activate tracking, but you can track with the Entune App anytime. Whats more the car seems to periodically"ping" Toyota once you have the Entune app activated becuase whenever i bring it up, it knows where the car was last (usually where i parked it last time). I suspect there are logs this information can be recovered from too...

There's another thread on this; about someone tracking the car as it was shipped.

I tested this while my car was getting serviced and I ate some ice cream (I was bored and curious). The location of the car updates when it is active and being driven, so you can update the app and it will give you location data constantly. Even if someone were to jump the car using a RF Scanner and some other tools, you would know as soon as it moved and could easily go and find it yourself before it got far (obviously bringing the police). There is also the Entune notification when charging is interrupted or completed giving you a second set of "warnings."

If it matters I use the Android app; I'm not sure if the iPhone one is more reliable.

In other words... sleep soundly. I doubt anyone will try to take the car. jlhodges charging station mention is also a good point.

Seriously I think the desire to steal the Rav4 EV is minimal at best... how far would they get before needing a charge? Maybe they will get lucky and get a "Check EV System" error message. The parts value is not there as it is a limited market (low numbers sold) and with Tesla's "holding technology close" attitude nobody can work on the damn things! I know I'm not buying any 2012 Rav4 EV parts on craigslist! Don't think any of us will be either and we are the only ones with any need as we have the cars.

Maybe joy riding is the biggest threat and without the wireless key in pocket or hand starting the car is well beyond the capability of the typical joy rider. Possibility... "hey let's steal the neighbor's electric car... I know he keeps the key fob in the cup holder" is our biggest threat. :) Don't think the person stealing the electric car could live down the laughter from his friends!

Besides... the things fully insured. And you know it would be found not far down the road with a dead battery. Damn... I get it back.

Just my $.02

Yeah... I know crooks are stupid but it would take a pretty DUMB and STUPID crook to take one of these! The chop shop would laugh the guy out the door! :)

I can't even get my girlfriend to take it to work for a day. She doesn't trust it to keep running after it failed on me in the garage a couple weeks ago!

I still love it though...

SADNESSS. My friends and family have the opposite reaction. They all want to drive it and I won't let them... lol.

Although, if I had an issue like yours I'd be concerned too.

Vach said:
SADNESSS. My friends and family have the opposite reaction. They all want to drive it and I won't let them... lol.

Although, if I had an issue like yours I'd be concerned too.
I still have faith! :) The glass is half full! If the GF took the EV for a day my range average would fall drastically with her lead foot, LOL! (she would probably love the performance too...) She says I "drive too slow" as I play the hypermilling game to get the most efficiency from each charge.

With Toyota roadside assistance if/when needed I have no worries... hell I even have the AAA 100 mile towing, that I have never used, to bring me back home to the local dealership. It's all good! ;)

I would agree with that too, I am absolutely pleased with my purchase and feel like I'm getting incredible bang for my buck.

I'd also agree that everyone thinks I drive too slow... LOL! It's ironic, because I have proven several times with passengers in my Prius that A) I'm saving money, and B) I end up getting to said traffic light at the same time as that guy who sped past me irritated I wasn't going 85 in a 40 zone... but we could talk about that all day!

Vach said:
I end up getting to said traffic light at the same time as that guy who sped past me irritated I wasn't going 85 in a 40 zone...
So true, So true... I find that happening every day!

Back