How do I program garage door opener?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dsinned

Just got a new garage door opener and would like to know how to use the remote control opener in my 2012 RAV4 EV. Anybody?

Dsinned said:
Just got a new garage door opener and would like to know how to use the remote control opener in my 2012 RAV4 EV. Anybody?
http://www.myrav4ev.com/docs/RAV4EV_Owners_Manual.pdf

Page 320.

The instructions in the manual didn't work for me. I had to take an extra step so if you're still having issues, let me know.

duggie said:
The instructions in the manual didn't work for me. I had to take an extra step so if you're still having issues, let me know.

The instructions in the manual didn't work for me either. I think mine has a rolling code so I was supposed to press and hold the button for 3 seconds. Nothing. Worked on this for about 10 minutes and then gave up. The car was/is charging so some of my troubleshooting was thinking that the charging had something to do with it so I unplugged, but that didn't change the situation. Also tried it with the car fully turned on.

Please let me know what your extra step was that resolved this. My garage door opener is a standard Genie that has worked with all my other cars with the Homelink system.

madcow said:
duggie said:

The instructions in the manual didn't work for me either. I think mine has a rolling code so I was supposed to press and hold the button for 3 seconds. Nothing. Worked on this for about 10 minutes and then gave up. The car was/is charging so some of my troubleshooting was thinking that the charging had something to do with it so I unplugged, but that didn't change the situation. Also tried it with the car fully turned on.

Please let me know what your extra step was that resolved this. My garage door opener is a standard Genie that has worked with all my other cars with the Homelink system.

Mine worked fine (rolling code system). Here is a shortened version of what I did, following the instructions in the RAV4 manual:

1. hold the garage door opener near the mirror, press the desired homelink and garage opener buttons for a few sec.
2. Open the garage door (with the opener, car won't work yet).
3. Go to the opener assembly (Genie) and press its training button.
4. Run back to car, press and hold the selected homelink button for a few sec. You have 30 sec after pressing the button on the Genie. Release. Press again.
Door worked then.

tgreene said:
madcow said:
duggie said:

Mine worked fine (rolling code system). Here is a shortened version of what I did, following the instructions in the RAV4 manual:

1. hold the garage door opener near the mirror, press the desired homelink and garage opener buttons for a few sec.
2. Open the garage door (with the opener, car won't work yet).
3. Go to the opener assembly (Genie) and press its training button.
4. Run back to car, press and hold the selected homelink button for a few sec. You have 30 sec after pressing the button on the Genie. Release. Press again.
Door worked then.

Ok, just for clarity. You took another external (portable) garage door opener and held it near the mirror of the car with the integrated homelink garage door opener? I only have one that is external to the car and it's missing a battery so I'll need to go out and get one in order to use this process.

I don't really get it. I've programmed 2 other cars with integrated homelink garage door openers and they were both very easy. The instructions for the Toyota version are similar, but it doesn't work at all. The rolling code instructions say to hold down the button on the mirror for 3 seconds. I did this MANY times and the red light on the garage door opener never stayed red (indicating that it received the signal).

I'm hoping that this has something to do with the fact that I was charging.

madcow said:
Ok, just for clarity. You took another external (portable) garage door opener and held it near the mirror of the car with the integrated homelink garage door opener? I only have one that is external to the car and it's missing a battery so I'll need to go out and get one in order to use this process.

Yes, the first step was to put a functioning wireless garage door remote controller about 2 inches from the rear view mirror, then press and hold both the garage controller button and the desired home link button until the home link light flashes rapidly (p. 321 of the 2012 manual).

madcow said:
I don't really get it. I've programmed 2 other cars with integrated homelink garage door openers and they were both very easy. The instructions for the Toyota version are similar, but it doesn't work at all. The rolling code instructions say to hold down the button on the mirror for 3 seconds. I did this MANY times and the red light on the garage door opener never stayed red (indicating that it received the signal).

Maybe the confusion stems from the rolling code instructions assume that the garage remote has already been used to transfer its signal to the homelink (procedure detailed above and #1 of my original message). That step is key - this is how the home link is programmed with the signal for your opener. The next step - pressing the training button on the garage opener itself (assembly connected to the garage door) - tells the opener electronics that the signal you are about to send from the homelink is trusted.

Programming my Chevy Volt worked exactly the same way.

I got a new battery for my spare external garage door opener and was able to get the homelink garage door opener in the car working. Tomorrow I'm going to work on the cell phone connection.

Back