Finally drove one!

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qwk

I was in the area and decided to finally drive the Rav4 EV so I could compare it to my model S, and maybe see what the drivetrain noise was that some Rav 4 EV owners were talking about. In case anyone is interested, the car I drove was blue, vin#1656 at Roseville Toyota.

Since I was comparing this to the Model S, I put it into sport mode right away, and left it there. The Rav4 EV has very good power, especially from a dead stop(A bit more low end than a V6 version, nowhere near a Model S). There is a lot of torque steer, but overall the car drives great. The GOM wasn't as bad as I had expected (not as good as the rated range on a model S, but certainly much better than the Leaf's). After almost 6k miles of driving a Tesla, the regen on the brake was downright unbearable. Putting the shifter in B mode helped some, but it was still very weak. For me, one pedal driving is the only way to go.

Overall, the Rav 4 EV is a GREAT vehicle, especially at the prices that we have seen. The particular car I drove had a very quiet drivetrain, which seemed even quieter than my model S(even at 60-65 mph). Once Toyota/Tesla get the Gateway ECU issue sorted out, I may be in the market for one of these, as it is much more useful in a gravel road/ton of snow scenario that I face. It's too bad that Toyota doesn't realize that this conversion(cobbled up in less than 2 years)drives better than any of their ICE vehicles. Pretty sad really.

qwk said:
The particular car I drove had a very quiet drivetrain, which seemed even quieter than my model S(even at 60-65 mph).

Really!? I am a bit surprised at that. I've never driven the model S long enough to notice, but I remember it being very quiet...maybe I was just so blown away by the power, I didn't notice anything else :lol:

qwk said:
After almost 6k miles of driving a Tesla, the regen on the brake was downright unbearable. Putting the shifter in B mode helped some, but it was still very weak. For me, one pedal driving is the only way to go./quote]

I'm assuming you found the regen function of the Rav4 EV to be unbearable... and, by unbearable, you meant insufficient. Do I have that right?

In any case, I've had more or less the opposite impression... coming, as I am, from the opposite perspective (i.e. 6K miles driven in my Rav4 EV but only recently drove the Model S). The owner of the Tesla had set the regen to the "stronger" (a.k.a. "B" mode for us Rav4 EVers) mode and it was simply uncomfortable to me. The accelerator just needed far too much tender loving attention to keep the Model S from unnecessarily slowing the vehicle when time came to coast. For the record, I even find the Rav4 EV's "B" mode uncomfortable.

To each their own.

But it leads me to a question. I've read several folks claim that the "B" mode is actually typically less efficient than using the normal "D" mode (due to the aforementioned overly aggressive braking). I'm curious to hear what Tesla owners have found for their cars. Which setting actually produces better efficiency for "normal" driving activities?

How you drive the car determines the overall efficiency, not the mode selection. With that said, of course, it requires more finesse to drive in a one-pedal fashion with high regen. Personally, I don't like the idea of having to move a slider on the screen to change the amount of regen. I really like the idea of "paddle shifters" to change the amount of regen. Some have reported that VW has implemented this on some of their Golf EV prototypes. Sure, when I'm driving in the city I would like to drive with a lot of regen, but on the freeway I would prefer to glide with no regen when I lift off the pedal. The paddle shifters would provide a very intuitive and safe way to change the regen amount as often as you like. The thing I'm not sure of is whether the Model S has any blended regen on the brake pedal like we have on the RAV4. Can anyone confirm? My impression is that Toyota took their experience from the Prius to implement the braking regen we have on the RAV. There is an element of safety to it, since you already have your foot on the brake.

edmc said:
But it leads me to a question. I've read several folks claim that the "B" mode is actually typically less efficient than using the normal "D" mode (due to the aforementioned overly aggressive braking). I'm curious to hear what Tesla owners have found for their cars. Which setting actually produces better efficiency for "normal" driving activities?

One can get the best efficiency possible with any EV, Including the Model S. You just have to use a different approach. In order to coast with the Model S, just keep the accelerator pedal in the dead spot(no acceleration or regen). Very easy to do.

I do that when on a road trip to eek out every last mile, but in everyday highway driving, I just set the cruise. In stoplight traffic, the one pedal driving is unbeatable.

miimura said:
The thing I'm not sure of is whether the Model S has any blended regen on the brake pedal like we have on the RAV4. Can anyone confirm? My impression is that Toyota took their experience from the Prius to implement the braking regen we have on the RAV. There is an element of safety to it, since you already have your foot on the brake.
There is no regen on the brake of the Model S.

I actually think that it's safer to have strong regen on the go pedal, because as soon as you lift off of the accelerator, you begin to slow down very quickly. This is especially true at higher speeds.

We have a BMW ActiveE, the regenerative braking is quite strong, when you lift your foot off the accelerator the brake lights actually come on for safety. I really appreciate the strong regen when traveling in heavy commute traffic, one pedal driving as someone else said. I find the regen on the Rav4 to be a little too weak and I really hate the creep when stopped at a light, on a flat surface the ActiveE will come to a complete stop and you'll never have to remove your foot from the accelerator.

Back