Solar Panel Options (Colorado)

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ground_gainer

Hey guys,

I am thinking about getting some solar panels but I know basically nothing about the best way to go about it. Any insight on websites or companies I should check out? I live in Colorado. I don't mind doing a little research but am looking for where to start and I know a lot of you guys have probably already extensively researched this.

My HOA has some stupid rules saying we can't have them but I checked the state laws here and it turns out they cannot stop me from putting them on my house. The best they could do is make me pretty them up a bit as long as it isn't too expensive.

Looking forwad to hearing about the different options and possible ways ahead. I thought my local power company (Colorado Springs Utilities) had some solar farm you could "buy into" and they would do all the maintenance and credit your bill but I am not sure if that is a better deal then just sticking them on my own house.

Cheers!

I would start with a reputable solar installer. If possible, get a referral from someone you know that already has solar. The important considerations are how much your electric bill is now, how does your utility handle solar electric interconnection and billing, do you have suitable roof area for panels, and do you have shade issues.

Regarding the HOA, I used to be a board president of an HOA. I suggest that you do your homework about state law and bring that info with you to a meeting. Present your detailed plan as prepared by your installer and be prepared to wait until the next meeting for an answer. If the HOA is responsible for the roof, be prepared to assume liability for leaks, broken tiles, etc. caused by the solar installation. This should be covered by your solar installer but it is reasonable for the HOA to ask you to sign a release.

I have close relatives in Colorado - they live in Evergreen - and they were told by their local energy company, "solar" is not the best choice. I don't know why. Perhaps due to high altitude weather issues with snowfall in the Winter, and/or shading issues if you live somewhere surrounded by tall trees, like they do, installing rooftop solar may not be the best way to go. I did notice a lot of cloudy days this past June while I was just there visiting recently. Other than a few solar "farms" in plain sight in the outskirts of Denver, I did NOT see much in the way of residential systems installed in the suburbs or elsewhere, so maybe the energy companies are hiding something about solar installs that does not work to their advantage. You should check with your local utility to find out what they have to say. For one thing, are there any state or local government incentives available to Colorado residents or HOAs? Of course, there is the federal 30% tax credit to individual taxpayers and that is a BIG incentive generally speaking.

Please keep us advised of your progress.

Here in Colorado Springs we get 300+ days of sun per year. The only issue I could think of that might hamper solar would be the occasoinal afternoon hail storms in the summer (how tough are the panels?).

The Air Force Academy on the north end of town has a huge solar farm.

Googleing a few min at work revealed they do offer some rebates, but the commercial ones have been scooped up for 2013 already. Doesn't mention the residential ones (the allowcated rebate money was split 50/50 between res and commercial) : https://www.csu.org/Pages/renewable-energy-b.aspx
https://www.csu.org/Pages/solar-b.aspx

Shoot, 40-60% of install covered by rebates/credits? Sounds pretty good to me.

I'll do more research in the coming weeks and let everyone know what I decide to do.

Personally I would not trust the advice of a public utility about whether or not I should install solar. The returns on investment to the consumer are pretty good these days and in many jurisdictions the incentives are huge.

As an example of bad advice from a public utility, I had to jump through a lot of hoops to get Southern California Edison to change my rate plans. They initial told me that TOU rate would not save me any money. Any solar installer can do an analysis to show you the benefits.

I'm interested in doing the same, but in Southern California. I'm not sure where to start as there seem to be many companies out there that might not be as honest as you'd like to think. Not sure if leasing or buying is better, but if I can get my monthly payment for the same or less than my current electric bill, then I'd be tempted!

I am in SF East Bay and just got solar system installed last week. Bought Rav4 EV in April and took some time to make the decision on leasing or purchasing. After numerous quotes from solar installers, for my case, purchasing was the right option.

System specs:
LG 285w
Enphase micro inverters
8.550 Kwh system.

Duggie - you need to start with your electric usage for last 12 months and send that few solar installers (go by reviews on yelp, angie's list). They will come do the readings for sun light, roof angle, etc. and thru this process you will get knowledgeable in few weeks. Send my e-mail at [email protected] if you have questions.

The state of California also has a site to calculate the power from your solar:

http://www.csi-epbb.com/default.aspx

If you just bought your car, and never had EV's before, I recommend using your monthly mileage and dividing by 2.5 to get how many kWh's you use extra.

So, 1200 miles / 2.5 = 480kWh extra used per month of top of your 12 month historical average of electrical power consumed.

Tony,

Doesn't your calculation need to factor in some kind of loss for recharging the battery? I mean, charging isn't 100% efficient, otherwise there would be no heat generated, either by the battery, cable, nozzle, etc. Or did you factor that in with the 2.5mi/kWh number? Or, is it really efficient and negligible? I'm not an electrical engineer, so I don't know, I'm just asking based on the fact that my garage gets noticeably hotter when I am charging and I'm trying to figure out how much of my excess production I'm going to be able to use up with charging my car.

Thanks to everybody that posted. Like I said, I really know nothing about this stuff. I got a quote yesterday for a 6.8 kWh system. Does that sound right? It was around $29K or $19K after all incentives through SCE and Federal Govt.

I'm hoping I won't need to charge too often at home. My company is putting in 10 (I think) L2 chargers in the near future. They are getting permits now. So I should be full or close to full everyday when I leave here.

Thanks again!

Duggie - what are specifics of the system?
Panels, Micro inverter, string-inverter, what tile on the rook (S curve or flat)?

I've had my grid-tied PV system since February and had ZERO electric bills (not counting the small monthly service fee and taxes, which add up to about $4/mo)! I have TWO EVs recharged almost exclusively at home and Central A/C, but still offset all my electric consumption easily with power to spare. I get "credits" from PG&E every month for the surplus generated. I purchased my Enphase microinverter based system from a SF Bay Area company, Petersen Dean Roofing and Solar, so I am eligible to claim the 30% tax credit.

HOW SWEET IT IS!!! :mrgreen:

duggie said:
Thanks to everybody that posted. Like I said, I really know nothing about this stuff. I got a quote yesterday for a 6.8 kWh system. Does that sound right? It was around $29K or $19K after all incentives through SCE and Federal Govt.
On a raw $/watt basis, your quote is not bad. However, get multiple quotes. Also, get figures for purchase, lease, and Power Purchase Agreement. Consider all of these along with your tax situation to see which fits you the best. Also, consider how long you expect to own the house.

I believe you meant to say "6.8kW", not "6.8kWh"!

For a purchase price of $29k that turns out to be $4.26/watt. That seems about a $1/watt too high based on what I paid for a fully installed system with a 10 year installer's (Petersen Dean) warranty.

Keep shopping around, I think you can do a lot better!

That is $4.25 watt (before tax credits), if you shop around you should be able to get closer to $3.00-3.50 watt.

Dsinned and Pchilds,

Could you give both the before and after tax credits rough costs for 6.8 KW ave install (and in my case 3.4 KW) ?
I'm not sure if the roughly $3-$3.5 per KW costs you project also apply to lower output 3.x KW projects.

Also, do you know what restrictions apply on tax credits if one does a self install?

Thanks,
Kevo

Dsinned said:
I've had my grid-tied PV system since February and had ZERO electric bills (not counting the small monthly service fee and taxes, which add up to about $4/mo)! I have TWO EVs recharged almost exclusively at home and Central A/C, but still offset all my electric consumption easily with power to spare. I get "credits" from PG&E every month for the surplus generated. I purchased my Enphase microinverter based system from a SF Bay Area company, Petersen Dean Roofing and Solar, so I am eligible to claim the 30% tax credit.

HOW SWEET IT IS!!! :mrgreen:

Is it sweet? Sorry but why does no one ever mention the 'new' monthly cost of financing or leasing solar panels. Its not like you are not paying for energy all of a sudden. You just shifted your cost from the utility company to a bank or the solar company.

So whats your monthly payment (or amortized cost over 10/20 years) for solar and how much higher or lower is it than your previous utility bill?

I did the math and never got solar because it never made financial sense.

mhkp said:
I did the math and never got solar because it never made financial sense.
If you were offered a lease and the total of the lease payments and forecast utility payments for each year were $300 per year less than what you have now, would that make financial sense to you?

kevo said:
Dsinned and Pchilds,

Could you give both the before and after tax credits rough costs for 6.8 KW ave install (and in my case 3.4 KW) ?
I'm not sure if the roughly $3-$3.5 per KW costs you project also apply to lower output 3.x KW projects.

Also, do you know what restrictions apply on tax credits if one does a self install?

Thanks,
Kevo
If you self-install, you can only get the credit for your hardware costs. If you pay for a turnkey system, you get the tax credit based on the total amount you paid.
A turnkey system will have a higher $/watt on a smaller system because the overhead for permits and utility paperwork are spread over a smaller total $ amount.

Back